“Great Hotel/Hostel at a good price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rich Resort Beachside Hotel

Rich Resort Beachside Hotel
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel/Hostel at a good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Myself and 3 friends stayed at Rich Resort for 3 nights, We had 2 rooms, both with one double and one single bed. The rooms were clean, spacious and both had an en-suite. There were complimentary towels and water when we arrived, and the option to have the room cleaned each morning if required. There were 2 fans in each room, but no air-con, this was fine, but would have been nicer with A/C!

The staff were friendly and helped us when we needed it; we hired a jeep for the day for 800 Bhat and the hotel staff organised it all for us.

The location is good, Lamai is a nice beach, and there are some good restaurants, shops and sights nearby. One downside is its distance from Chaweng beach (best place for nightlife), it was a good 20 minute taxi ride, although this did only cost 400-500 Bhat

There is a bar/restaurant opposite called Swing Bar, the food there is great, both English and Thai, and the drinks are very reasonably priced. There is a fire show each night on the beach which is good fun, the guys even let us have a go when it was quiet.

If you want to be right in the middle of the nightlife, this might not be the place for you, but if you want to be close, and have your own space, this place is definitely worth staying at!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RichResort, Owner at Rich Resort Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Greetings from Rich Resort and our sunny island of Koh Samui! It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope that you will have a chance to visit us again.

Thank you for your kind comments which will be shared with the entire team and i am sure they will be proud that we were able to make your stay accommodating and comfortable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Maintal, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

we came and there was no "hello or sawasdee" no.. we had to pay the bill for the overpriced taxi from the pier (500baht/ lomprayah brings you for 150baht to the resort) and room first. after that we had to pay several things like key deposit (500baht!!! and keep the invoice otherwise i guess they wont pay it back) and after that there was still no hello.. they just gave us the key.. we came in the room and there was a fresh breeze in the air, like someone spread deo or something.. after a while we found out why, because the room (superiorroom for 800baht/night!!!!) smells like a canalisation. we were so disgusted we decided to search a new place to stay immidiatly, because the whole resort smells like it. seriously.. it was very disgusting. the staff is a catastrophy, when you have a problem they come in a pack to your room (4 people) speak thai and laugh about you. we felt very unconfortable in this situation. we saw that they treat other people like this too. they dont say hello when you meet them on the floor or something, maybe because they are too busy with eating the whole day. they didnt even care why we left one night earlier just took our key and said bye. lol never had such a bad service in thailand. the rooms seem to be very dirty, the fan which brings fresh air into your room is so black, i dont think it brings fresh air into it. the rooms have no daylight window and you feel like you are living in a basement (superiorrooms). in the evening you step out of the resort and there some guys which try to get you in the swing bar (which belongs to the resort) lol. thats anoying. you cant even pass them because theres only this way out. never again

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 33ee
RichResort, Guest Relations Manager at Rich Resort Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hello and thank you for your feedback of our business. Sorry to hear you were not satisfied with our product/service. Every customer has different standards for their expectations and we respect that, but you must remember this is a 1.5 star budget hotel. We have many positive reviews of our service and product and I think our rooms being full or nearly full everyday reflects that. Our average occupancy last year was 81% and this year will be over 90%. I think this speaks for itself and reflects our good reputation for both product and service. We provide good value for the price of our rooms and our great location.
In regards to the taxi, any taxi pickup from our hotel shuttle is booked via email and will not be dispatched to pick up unless the customer agrees to the price and terms of cancellation for the shuttle. 500 Thai baht is below market price for pick up from this pier for a “private taxi” which we provide and delivers the customer direct to our hotel. If you were to flag a private taxi at the pier you would most likely pay between 600 to 700 Thai baht after bartering. Travelling with Lomprayah is a shared minivan which makes multiple stops on the way before you arrive at the hotel (since the van is shared). Obviously, the customer always has the choice of which mode of transport they want to take.
Yes we take a 500 baht key deposit to make sure the customers return the key & keycard and to cover any damages. The key deposit is returned to every customer on check out. This is common practice and other similar hotels ask for 1000 Thai baht or more for key deposit.
Sorry to hear that you found the rooms to be dirty and smelling like canalisation? This is contrary to the majority of our reviews on tripadvisor. Did you ask reception to possibly show you an alternative room? We are always open to moving guests to an alternate room (dependant on availability) if there is something the guest does not find up to par with that particular room.
All of the standard air conditioning rooms “superior rooms” have large windows which are sliding and can open.
Thank you again for reviewing our property and we appreciate everyone’s opinion
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This would have to be my 8th trip to Koh Samui. I've stayed in various places around the island but Rich Resort is certainly the pick of the bunch. As they say...Location...Location...Location!!!
The location is BRILLIANT!!!
I was quite surprised how affordable the rooms were given the quality of the room and the location. The Rich Resort is just a hop, skip and jump away from the best part of Lamai Beach and less than a four minute walk to central Lamai's night market. There are free sun-loungers with umbrellas which are available to customers of the Swing Bar (which is just in front of the resort). It’s a great place to sip fresh coconut water and waste away the day with a good book.
I'm a freelance writer and here for two months. I’ve been here for almost a month so far. Given the affordability of the rooms I decided to stay in deluxe room which is awesome. The room is huge...probably a little too big for what I need but I'm really enjoying the space. The Wi-Fi is super quick which is important to me as I’m spending the majority of my time here working, however like the rest of the island it can get a fraction slower after 6pm. The aircon in my room works a treat, and my room has fans too. The fans are quite strong, I find that I often just use that instead of the air-con.
As I'm staying here for two months it’s so nice to have somewhere to hang up your clothes (with enough coat hangers to my surprise) so I've really made myself at home. There’s a place like 15 steps away from the resort that does your laundry (wash and iron) within 24 hours (and so cheap).
My room has a very decent sized fridge, it's so handy to be able to buy fruit at the market and have somewhere to store it without attracting any ants. The room gets made up every-day, fresh linen and towels whenever you need them and 2 complimentary bottles of water.
I’m so glad I chose this place and will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank SugarRae1258
Thanks you for your opinion of our hotel. Wow it sounds like you had a great time and enjoyed the location. Yes our location is great right on Central Lamai beach within walking distance to everything in town. Yes free sun beds for customers and free WiFi everywhere in the rooms, restaurants and even on the beach. It is excellent to hear that you found the rooms affordable as this is our goal to provide affordable beach accommodation while still providing all the basic room necessities.
Thank you for taking the time to make a review and it sounds like we will definitely be seeing you again!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was worth every penny I paid for it! Me and a friend booked here for 2 nights but ended up staying an extra night because we loved it that much.

We arrived just after attending the full moon party so wanted a chilled out place and that is exactly what we got.

Rooms were clean, spacious and beds were huge. The wifi was also very good.

The resort had it's own bar which was a bit more pricey than other places but decent quality. There is also a fire show right on the beach right opposite the hotel every night which is great.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay here and would highly recommend it.

Stayed July 2014
RichResort, Guest Relations Manager at Rich Resort Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank for your feedback of our business. We appreciate everyone who takes the time to make a review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would return. Also nice to hear that it was worth every penny because we try to provide the most affordable accommodation. It is good that you found the rooms to be clean and up to standard as well as the WiFi. The rooms are very large especially the deluxe rooms. Great also that you enjoyed the nightly fireshows which we have in our bar/restaurant Swing Bar every night.
Thanks you again for your kind review and it would be our pleasure to have you stay again with us!
Krabi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

A nice place to stay, right on the beach! Rooms were spacious! Swing bar that is attached to the rich resort was a nice atmosphere in the day, free wifi and sunbeds on the beach! Don't expect a good morning from the staff as they don't say a word! Local building work gave us an early rise every morning of our 7 nights there pre 8am! Beach party's advertised on a Monday and Friday were a good laugh. Drinks over priced though! Nice short walk to the main town though where food was cheap and people were friendly! A nice street food market opposite mc Donald's served some great food and a great atmosphere!

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RichResort, Guest Relations Manager at Rich Resort Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Hi Thanks for your feedback of our business. Yes everyone loves our location right in the center of beautiful Lamai Beach within walking distance to everything in town. Good to hear that you enjoyed the free WiFi which is available in all the rooms, restaurants and yes even on the beach. So you can surf the net while relaxing on our free sunbeds. Sorry to hear that the staff were not too interactive. I am not sure if you are referring to the restaurant staff or the hotel staff but we will look into it. Good to hear that you enjoyed the beach parties which are every Monday and Friday and have the best fireshows in Thailand. Thanks again for your review of our property.
Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hotel cheap and very friendly staff. Delux rooms big and good. Nice beach party every monday and friday. But terrible internet. Hey, normal internet in Asia cost very cheap - make it for you customers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hello thank you for your review of our establishment. Yes our hotel is one of the most affordable on Koh Samui with a great location on the beach. It is good to hear that you found the staff friendly and the room large and adequate. Sorry to hear about the internet. This it the first review that I remember of the internet signal being inadequate. We will get the maintenance staff to test the signal on all of the access points to make sure they are working properly. Thank you for your input and review of our hotel.
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

A friend told me about Rich Resort, and those are the best referrals. My first advice when flying into Koh Samui, book your shuttle to Lamai Beach for 170 Baht while you're waiting for your bags to arrive. I had little expectations from a budget hotel, knew not to expect much. I was escorted to my room and was pleasantly surprised with a very comfortable king sized bed, amazing quality bed sheets and pillows, and exquisitely folded bath towels, full size fridge and large bathroom. The wifi was very strong, and the fan moved the air quite nicely to cool the room in mid July. The staff was amazing. All smiles, always helpful and supremely knowledgeable of the area. I came here to relax, and although not in my room a lot, who wants to be, there's a great big beautiful beach to play on day and night. The north end of the beach was dirty and rocky, not conducive to swimming or water sports. The south end of the beach sort of drops off into the ocean, and gets very narrow as resort guests have a smaller place to play. Central Lamai is just right.
Swing Bar: The food, amazing menu in English, Russian and French with choices to please guests of all countries. The staff attentive, caring and always keeping their eye on you, should you need assistance. You can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main bar, or go downstairs to the beach front. Monday and Friday fire party night, has to be experienced to be believed. Amazing talent. The beach, it's perfectly situated on the middle of the beach with the best sand, water sports activities and the iceberg climbing inflatable.
I am so happy with my stay, I've cancelled my other island hops for this summer vacation, because why mess with a good thing?
George from California USA

Room Tip: If you need AC to survive, pay extra for it, otherwise a fan room is cool enough.