“Great budget hotel right on the beach” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rich Resort Beachside Hotel

Rich Resort Beachside Hotel
manchester
“Great budget hotel right on the beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Ok let's be honest here, this resort is a budget room hotel, nothing fancy, but it's clean, has fridge in room with complimentary water, soap and shampoo in dispensers in small but practical bathrooms, nice clean towels and a TV with plenty of channels, it's located right on the beach at the Swing Bar, a great venue for party people, the rooms are so cheap it's better to book in and stay the night rather than pay taxis if your on a different part of Samui. Staff very friendly and helpful and location is good being on the beach, all amenities are within a ten minute stroll, restaurants Bars shops etc

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

i stayed at Rich Resort for 4 days in August and had a great time. The rooms were spacious and clean, and it's right across the street from a great beach. Rented a scooter without any problems and generally enjoyed my stay. The manager was even nice enough to mail me an item i had left behind. The restaurant has a great view of the ocean. A little pricey, but seemed to be on par with pricing at other restaurants in the area. Also, the hotel is walking distance from the market and downtown, so made for a nice, relaxing stay.

Room Tip: we had a ground floor room with no a/c and it got hot througout the day. splurge for A/C
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Harbin, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed at Rich Resort as we were on a tight budget and wanted a location as close as possible to the beach. As a result, we didn't expect god knows what but we were very pleasantly surprised! We arrived at 8am in the morning due to an early morning flight and after having paid everything up front (plus an 500 baht deposit, which at £10 is not a big deal), we were invited to leave our bags at the reception by the very nice girls at the front desk. Despite being told that the room probably wouldn't be ready until the check-in time, we were actually told the room was ready earlier than that. We had specified when booking that we would be arriving very early in the morning and would have appreciated an earlier check-in.

We had the aircon superior double room and we were quite impressed with the size of it. Bed was extremely comfortable and a very good size as well. It was very clean and we were happy enough with how the room was made up every morning, with fresh water being provided every day. The bathroom was perfectly fine even though it could smell a little damp after a shower, but all in all it didn't affect the rest of the room if the bathroom door was kept closed. Wifi is provided free throughout the resort but in some spots it was better than others with our room being towards the back (but not the furthest back) having less than ideal signal. Not sure what cable TV mentioned meant but we didn't seem to be able to get anything on our TV but it's not a big deal as I am not sure who would actually want to stay in.

Location was also great being just across from Lamai beach (probably the second best beach on the island and only second to Silver Beach) and within a perfectly reasonable walking distance from the main strip. All the girls at the front desk were very nice and friendly; we rented a scooter from the front desk and they were accommodating even though we renewed it on a daily basis.

All in all, it was a very good choice and completely worth the price. It's not a luxury resort or boutique hotel, nor does it try to be but it's a perfectly good cheap hotel if you are on a budget as in this case even a relatively small budget gets you a very good room in a great location. Recommended!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
RichResort, Owner at Rich Resort Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Bertie,
Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are happy that you have really enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your kind words with the Rich Resort team in regards to our product and service. We hope you will be able to stay with us again.
We thank you for your kind feedback!
sihanoukville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I had booked a two week stay here, and when I first arrived, the room stank of damp and the reason became clear very quickly, the hotel has a huge drainage problem. I asked to move rooms with the front desk girls (who were very nice and helpful) and they moved me right away, as my bathroom had flooded and the water would not drain, hence the constant smell of damp. The new room was a little better, but it took 2 hours for the water to drain from the flooded bathroom floor. When the room upstairs had a shower, it also folded my bathroom.
My first attempt at sparking to the manager was in the restaurant bar over the road, it was quite late, and I asked if the bar was still open as all the staff were watching tv, and without turning he said, "what do you want?" I replied, I would like to have a beer or two and a game of pool, and still without turning he said "no, we're closed for beer and pool, and started to chuckle to himself which also seemed to amuse the staff.
The following evening, I approached him again and introduced myself as staying in the hotel, and offered my hand as a shake, he completely ignored me, apart from looking at my hand with distaste, turned his back and walked away. I did try to chat to him a couple of other times to no avail, with similar outcomes each time. I cancelled the rest of my stay there, as I was so disgusted by my treatment. It may seem strange to have someone stay in their room all day, but I have a medical condition that prevents me from usual holiday activities.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else to avoid being treated poorly by the manager.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hello from Rich Resort and sunny Koh Samui thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your problem with the rooms. We have sent our maintenance team to check the rooms for drainage problems as they become vacant. We will do our best to address the issues you have raised.
In addition, very sorry to hear about your treatment from the manager, however we did not have any managers employed at the time of your stay in the hotel or in the restaurant/bar. We are currently in the process of reviewing applications for management roles in both the restaurant and the hotel. I have also questioned my partner regarding this case and he has no recollection of this case. Is it possible that it was a customer playing some form on joke on you, because I cannot find any evidence of these occurrences. I will keep investigating.
From the Rich Resort team we are deeply sorry about your experience and we will rectify the room issues asap.
Thank you for your review best regards.
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Myself and 3 friends stayed at Rich Resort for 3 nights, We had 2 rooms, both with one double and one single bed. The rooms were clean, spacious and both had an en-suite. There were complimentary towels and water when we arrived, and the option to have the room cleaned each morning if required. There were 2 fans in each room, but no air-con, this was fine, but would have been nicer with A/C!

The staff were friendly and helped us when we needed it; we hired a jeep for the day for 800 Bhat and the hotel staff organised it all for us.

The location is good, Lamai is a nice beach, and there are some good restaurants, shops and sights nearby. One downside is its distance from Chaweng beach (best place for nightlife), it was a good 20 minute taxi ride, although this did only cost 400-500 Bhat

There is a bar/restaurant opposite called Swing Bar, the food there is great, both English and Thai, and the drinks are very reasonably priced. There is a fire show each night on the beach which is good fun, the guys even let us have a go when it was quiet.

If you want to be right in the middle of the nightlife, this might not be the place for you, but if you want to be close, and have your own space, this place is definitely worth staying at!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Greetings from Rich Resort and our sunny island of Koh Samui! It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope that you will have a chance to visit us again.

Thank you for your kind comments which will be shared with the entire team and i am sure they will be proud that we were able to make your stay accommodating and comfortable.
Maintal, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

we came and there was no "hello or sawasdee" no.. we had to pay the bill for the overpriced taxi from the pier (500baht/ lomprayah brings you for 150baht to the resort) and room first. after that we had to pay several things like key deposit (500baht!!! and keep the invoice otherwise i guess they wont pay it back) and after that there was still no hello.. they just gave us the key.. we came in the room and there was a fresh breeze in the air, like someone spread deo or something.. after a while we found out why, because the room (superiorroom for 800baht/night!!!!) smells like a canalisation. we were so disgusted we decided to search a new place to stay immidiatly, because the whole resort smells like it. seriously.. it was very disgusting. the staff is a catastrophy, when you have a problem they come in a pack to your room (4 people) speak thai and laugh about you. we felt very unconfortable in this situation. we saw that they treat other people like this too. they dont say hello when you meet them on the floor or something, maybe because they are too busy with eating the whole day. they didnt even care why we left one night earlier just took our key and said bye. lol never had such a bad service in thailand. the rooms seem to be very dirty, the fan which brings fresh air into your room is so black, i dont think it brings fresh air into it. the rooms have no daylight window and you feel like you are living in a basement (superiorrooms). in the evening you step out of the resort and there some guys which try to get you in the swing bar (which belongs to the resort) lol. thats anoying. you cant even pass them because theres only this way out. never again

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 33ee
RichResort, Guest Relations Manager at Rich Resort Beachside Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Hello and thank you for your feedback of our business. Sorry to hear you were not satisfied with our product/service. Every customer has different standards for their expectations and we respect that, but you must remember this is a 1.5 star budget hotel. We have many positive reviews of our service and product and I think our rooms being full or nearly full everyday reflects that. Our average occupancy last year was 81% and this year will be over 90%. I think this speaks for itself and reflects our good reputation for both product and service. We provide good value for the price of our rooms and our great location.
In regards to the taxi, any taxi pickup from our hotel shuttle is booked via email and will not be dispatched to pick up unless the customer agrees to the price and terms of cancellation for the shuttle. 500 Thai baht is below market price for pick up from this pier for a “private taxi” which we provide and delivers the customer direct to our hotel. If you were to flag a private taxi at the pier you would most likely pay between 600 to 700 Thai baht after bartering. Travelling with Lomprayah is a shared minivan which makes multiple stops on the way before you arrive at the hotel (since the van is shared). Obviously, the customer always has the choice of which mode of transport they want to take.
Yes we take a 500 baht key deposit to make sure the customers return the key & keycard and to cover any damages. The key deposit is returned to every customer on check out. This is common practice and other similar hotels ask for 1000 Thai baht or more for key deposit.
Sorry to hear that you found the rooms to be dirty and smelling like canalisation? This is contrary to the majority of our reviews on tripadvisor. Did you ask reception to possibly show you an alternative room? We are always open to moving guests to an alternate room (dependant on availability) if there is something the guest does not find up to par with that particular room.
All of the standard air conditioning rooms “superior rooms” have large windows which are sliding and can open.
Thank you again for reviewing our property and we appreciate everyone’s opinion
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This would have to be my 8th trip to Koh Samui. I've stayed in various places around the island but Rich Resort is certainly the pick of the bunch. As they say...Location...Location...Location!!!
The location is BRILLIANT!!!
I was quite surprised how affordable the rooms were given the quality of the room and the location. The Rich Resort is just a hop, skip and jump away from the best part of Lamai Beach and less than a four minute walk to central Lamai's night market. There are free sun-loungers with umbrellas which are available to customers of the Swing Bar (which is just in front of the resort). It’s a great place to sip fresh coconut water and waste away the day with a good book.
I'm a freelance writer and here for two months. I’ve been here for almost a month so far. Given the affordability of the rooms I decided to stay in deluxe room which is awesome. The room is huge...probably a little too big for what I need but I'm really enjoying the space. The Wi-Fi is super quick which is important to me as I’m spending the majority of my time here working, however like the rest of the island it can get a fraction slower after 6pm. The aircon in my room works a treat, and my room has fans too. The fans are quite strong, I find that I often just use that instead of the air-con.
As I'm staying here for two months it’s so nice to have somewhere to hang up your clothes (with enough coat hangers to my surprise) so I've really made myself at home. There’s a place like 15 steps away from the resort that does your laundry (wash and iron) within 24 hours (and so cheap).
My room has a very decent sized fridge, it's so handy to be able to buy fruit at the market and have somewhere to store it without attracting any ants. The room gets made up every-day, fresh linen and towels whenever you need them and 2 complimentary bottles of water.
I’m so glad I chose this place and will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
2 Thank SugarRae1258
Thanks you for your opinion of our hotel. Wow it sounds like you had a great time and enjoyed the location. Yes our location is great right on Central Lamai beach within walking distance to everything in town. Yes free sun beds for customers and free WiFi everywhere in the rooms, restaurants and even on the beach. It is excellent to hear that you found the rooms affordable as this is our goal to provide affordable beach accommodation while still providing all the basic room necessities.
Thank you for taking the time to make a review and it sounds like we will definitely be seeing you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
#9 of 50 in Lamai Beach
Beach Republic The Residences
Beach Republic The Residences
#4 of 50 in Lamai Beach

Been to Rich Resort Beachside Hotel? Share your experiences!