“Cheap Charlie management!”
Review of Magic Resort

Magic Resort
Ranked #37 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Stayed in 3 separate bungalows here, I'll start with room 3a which is located next to the kitchen and cost a high season rate of 1100 baht per night. This bungalow comes equipped with good AC , functional fridge, tv and a well maintained bathroom. However the bed is 2 single beds made up into a double, now this wouldn't normally be a problem but one mattress is new and one is worn out and old making half the bed very uncomfortable. This bungalow is also let down by the curtains which look like they've been chewed by rodents and would be an embarrassment to a tramp. One wall looks like its been used for spitting target practice. The door knob lock is loose , damaged and needs replacing and is a security risk. No safe in the room.
Room 6b is a very large room and has the same facilities as 3a but with nicer curtains and better mattresses and costs a whopping 1500 baht per night, allegedly this is a deluxe room but its very plain and simple. If your traveling with any baggage larger than a small hold all then you'll find your self storing your stuff on the floor. This is a quality build bungalow badly let down by a lack of imagination. No safe in room.
Room 18 is similar in size to 6b but is old and worn and has the same facilities as 3a, again the bed has 2 mattresses ,1 old and 1 new and is bloody uncomfortable. ILL fitting curtains and no room safe.
By Thai standards this resort is poor value for money and much better value can be had elsewhere in Lamai especially if you don't mind not being right on the beach.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Glahamuk

Reviewed 26 February 2013

We stayed at Magic Resort because it came with VERY high recommendations from good friends of ours. Unfortunately we didn't take into account that they'd stayed there during the low season, whereas we were visiting right in the middle of the high season. Still, this place was cheap and cheerful, and definitely a quiet spot. I guess this one comes down to some poor choices on our behalf because there were nicer rooms there that we could've booked instead of the one we ended up in.

First things first: Our friends specifically recommended this resort to us because of the beach. They said Lamai Beach was paradise, and after having a bit of a rough experience on Ko Phangan we were looking forward to getting to the "paradise" of Ko Samui and in particular, Lamai Beach. Upon arrival at Magic Resort, we wandered down to the beach to check in. To our absolute horror the beach was completely and utterly polluted. It soon became evident that the rubbish had drifted over from Ko Phangan and the Full Moon Party a few nights beforehand. This was just so sad and upsetting to see.

Anyway, this first impression sort of marred our time on Ko Samui, and made it impossible to make the most of the resort's sun loungers and bar area on the beach. We didn't see much of the staff, however the made up our room and gave us fresh towels everyday which was great. The room was super basic but was clean and really all we needed for our short stay. The bed was TERRIBLE though - so uncomfortable with a hard mattress and springs poking through into our backs!! Other than that though our stay was comfortable enough.

The resort is in a great location - only a minute walk from a whole range of shops, markets [the night food markets are AMAZING!!!!!], restaurants, cafes and bars. Harry's restaurant just next to Magic Resort is so awesome, I can 110% recommend it for Thai food - and the European food looks great too.

If an easy location and basic digs is what you are after, then Magic will definitely suffice. If it's a beautiful beach you long for then definitely give Lamai a big miss.

Room Tip: I would go for an A/C room as they looked nicer, and lighter, than the fan rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kerrie F
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Stayed here in a deluxe room, which had a double bed and also a single bed. Paid 1500 bht per night which we thought was great. room clean with tv, air con , large fridge. Bathroom very large and a little outdated but you get what you pay for.
All in all great placeto stay for the price.

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank sinagporesal
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

Upon checking the owner gave me the impression she had no idea of my booking. I understand with hotels/resorts using a third party there can sometimes be delays etc with online bookings so I disregarded this somewhat. What I didn't like was the attitude. I think she thought I was lying, even after showing my confirmation.
The bungalow stinks of damp, the ceiling is decaying and te tap in the 'bathroom' doesn't work along with the shower. The shower has a mind of its own and won't stay on more than a couple of minutes. Annoying after havin been on the beach and trekking most of the day.
However there are 2 things that appear to work in the room 2 lights and a power socket.
I thought it would be nicer for the amount I paid but obviously I wa wrong. Shame because the location is lovely. Shame about pretty much everything else.

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank TravellingJanieBear
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I can recommend this place. It's nice, quiet, not expensive. You will a get a relaxing stay just on the beach. Our bungalow was very simple but functional and clean enough (considering it is a bungalow 3 meters away from the beach on the island not a 5 star hotel in Bangkok).

One bad thing - very slow Wifi with bad connection. For those who does not need internet this place will be ok.
Oh, one more little nice detail, they offer free sunbeds for the guests. Fantastic, is'nt it?

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Virginija J
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This place was pretty full when I made a booking over the phone, they offered me a fan cooled 'hut' for 500baht per night. When I arrived they took me to a dark and dingy bamboo hut that was full of mosquitoes a filthy bathroom and a wall fan mounted on the ceiling that did not even work. No thanks I said, so they showed me the only other option that day, the hut next door. This was also filthy with windows that were about to fall off and a door that was only just hanging on the hinges but at least the fan worked. As I was tired after a day of bus and ferry travel I reluctantly took the room. I then discovered that there was no hot water in the (grubby indeed) shower, but as I was hot I had a cold shower any way. That night I had frequent visits by mosquitoes and found the fan noisy but pretty efficient. Tried to flush the toilet in the morning... no water at all, none in the shower or basin either. Asked the guys working in the restaurant about the lack of water and got this response " we don't have any water today, it is the same everywhere, Samui has a shortage of water due to the drought and no rain, might get some later today. So I walked out and over the road to the 7/11, when I was in there I tried the tap... no problem. Went into a hotel right next to Magic, tried the taps..... lots of water... asked about the supply of water and was told no problem, why do you ask?

Went back to Magic, checked out and found somewhere much nicer and better value.... with ample water and staff who told the truth!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank marianman
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Reasonably cheap resort - we paid 1000 baht a night for 2 people and had a beachfront unit..Other units are cheaper at the back..great access for the beach and at night the beach comes alive with all the dinner tables on the beach all lit up waiting for customers..Staff didn't speak much English but we managed to get by..It doesn't have a pool but then why do you need it when the beach is right in front and it is very calm for swimming..

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
#40 of 51 in Lamai Beach
Rich Resort Beachside Hotel
Rich Resort Beachside Hotel
#24 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to Magic Resort? Share your experiences!