“A Unique Boutique, Friendly and Relaxing Resort”

Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This is not your typical large tropical resort, this is a boutique luxury resort with just 77 Villa's and suites at affordable prices.
It has much more to offer than your normal big resort , and is not only unique in style that is based on feng shui, it offers a complete resort experience.
I have never stayed in any hotel where the General Manager serves her guests at breakfast! Tina is always available to talk to, and has stamped her unique and friendly style on the resort..
I stayed in a pool Villa, which was has a pool in the Centre of the villa which is private and wonderful to relax in.
I ate most days in the resorts restaurant over the 5 night stay and had some wonderful meals there.
The thing that stands out in this resort is the friendly and professional service by all of the staff, from Sun the maintenance man to Tum the driver who drove me around the island, to the girl in the bar, who after a bit of teaching made a great martini.
This is a resort where you can have total privacy or mix with other guests, by the pool at the restaurant or at the Nightly ritual of sending fire lit balloons into the sky at night.
I found all of my fellow guests to be very friendly, and due to the size of the resort, most people got to know each other during their stay.
I have stayed in many resorts around the World, but very few have made me feel as relaxed as Le Meridien Koh Samui.
I will be back for a longer stay, next time.
Thank you Tina and all your colleagues at the resort that made my stay so relaxing and memorable.

Room Tip: take a pool villa or a plunge pool Villa, they are worth the money
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank fcworld
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear fcworld,

As a well traveled guest as seen from your numerous reviews, it is nice to learn that you found the resort to be unique and that you left Le Meridien Koh Samui relaxed and with memorable experiences.

While it seems you were able to enjoy the hotel facilities while here, we are even more glad that the associates took good care of you and learned to make you a martini, just the way you like it! Your kind comments about the team have been shared and it is encouraging to know that they were professional on top of their friendliness.

Personally, I find that breakfast is the best time to meet my guests as it is where most tend to start their day before dispersing so I do try to make myself available. You can be sure to find me there for any assistance or inquiry but the entire team is always happy to help.

If you are considering another resort holiday in your upcoming travel plans, please do visit us again at Le Meridien Koh Samui!

Reviewed 12 July 2012

The resort is lovely, the grounds are excellent, in particular the gardens. It's the service that really saves the resort from a bad review. The staff are excellent and a credit.
We booked a terrace room. Save yourselves the money or spend some more. The room overlooks the pool access rooms (about 6 rooms that access the pool). Unfortunately not all the occupants are considerate about noise. We were woken at 2am one morning by a group of drunks in the pool. On our last two days several families checked in and again we had no peace and quiet. On our last evening (we had to get up early the go to the airport) we ended up having to get the manager down. The manager seemed reluctant to speak with the other guests about the noise and instead suggested we move rooms for the night and return in the morning to pack. The problem with this room type is the sound travels. I didn't mind so much the outside bathroom, however, ours was more like a sauna thanks to the exhaust from the neighboring rooms aircon blowing straight into it. Aside from this the rooms are very clean, housekeeping is lovely.
The pool area is great, a few things need to happen to make this a real experience. There were all of 7 umbrellas, so if you came late, you had no shade, perhaps they need to get some more. The service by the pool is lacking, plates and glasses rarely collected. I had to go looking for someone to order food and drinks several times.
Whilst on food and drinks,this resort is extremely expensive for both. We were paying 220 baht for a beer. They also charge for water. I did tell the hotel this on checking out. I was told they charge these prices as they are 5 star? Due to the expensive food and drinks we went out most nights and ate another 5 star hotels, 110 baht for a beer. As a reslt of going elsewhere we have found some great resorts for future stays.
Taxis are available outside the resort, be warned, they charge ridiculous prices and won't negotiate. We spent a small fortune getting to places on the island. Unless you can ride a bike or rent a car be prepared to pay top $ to travel. The resort has a shuttle service which is great, but daily services to chaweng with a return service would be helpful.
The spa is awesome, but again, it took 3 attempts to even get a booking. You need to book in advance (sometimes on holiday this isn't how your mind works). If you stay here, definitely go to the spa.
We had a private dinner on the pier which was awesome, well recommended, the food was great and the service excellent. It would be nice if the resort prevented non-guests from using the pier or atleast monitored behavior of visitors. We were forced to endure three young teenagers carrying on while they used the end of the pier to smoke (so their parents couldn't see).
Overall we had 9 relaxing days at the resort. It truly is the service that makes the place worth visiting. A few tweaks may make it a better experience, in particular, lowering the price of the food and drinks.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank adrianwalker2

Dear adrianwalker2,

We are happy to learn at you enjoyed your stay, the grounds and particularly our associates.

Unfortunately, you were disturbed by noise disturbances from other guests during your stay and for this we apologize. Our associates have been reminded that they should without hesitation assist in seeking cooperation from others in ensuring a peaceful environment, particuarly at night. The offer to move is only an option made as this is sometimes the guest preference. With a 9-day stay, we regret that we did not find a better solution for you from the beginning so that you could be more relaxed throughout.

In your review, you also made other valid comments and suggestions so kindly allow me to address them. In regards to the pool umbrellas, we had some that were being fixed and at present the whole pool area is pretty much covered with over a dozen lining the chairs. We agree that beer price is indeed quite high and our beverage menu is in the midst of being re-worked with intention to bring these down. Simultaneously, the food menus have also been looked at and we have actually found that they were much lower than other luxury resorts including stand alone restaurants of comparable quality. Please rest assured that regular reviews are done to ensure that restaurant and bar pricing is competitive. As for service, we will certainly look in to improving this as the pool area is obvisouly a critical part of the resort experience.

Unfortunately for taxi's, the local ones here in Koh Samui all around do not use meters and do charge premium prices. As such, our hotel cars are very simiarly priced and on certain months, we even match the taxi prices when possible.

Last but not least, it is nice to know that you were able to enjoy unique experiences in Le Spa and the Ocean Pier Dinner. In Le Spa, we have 4 treatment rooms, a foot massage room and a manicure/pedicuare room. During peak hours and particuarly in July and August, getting a reservation may prove more challenging due to demand and we do apologize if it was diffcult to get a booking during stay. Hopefully, the team worked to secure some treatments for you under the circumstances as nothing would please us more than to be able to accommodate all our guests. Again, our apologies that this was not more seemless during your vacation time. As for the Ocean Pier, we do not allow non-hotel guests to use the pier during the day hours but once dinner and drink service begins in the evening at 5:30pm, the venue is open to the public for bookings. As suggested, we will be more alert to better monitor the behavior of other guests so that everyone can enjoy the special surroundings.

While you summarized your review in confirming that the stay was overall relaxing and that the service in general impressed you, let us assure you as well that the tweaks as suggested will be worked on and we hope to have the opportunity to demonstrate this to you on a future visit. Please do contact me directly, the team and I will do our best to make your stay a great one!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed at the hotel over Christmas 2011… It had only recently coverted to the LM brand and I was quite surprised by such a great experience. The hotel is not huge, and has a small and intimate feel. The aesthetic is more classic, and less modern feeling like some other LMs I have visited.

Rooms are nicely appointed – not huge, but certainly big enough. The bathrooms are all located outside (but covered), including the shower and toilets. It’s a bit odd, but kind of fun too.

PROs: Intimate feel; Nice service; Clean / modern rooms; Nice pool area located adjacent to the restaurant

CONs: Limited beach (the beach is very narrow and small…waves were also rough when I was there); Some of the common areas are a tad “worn;” Cabs are not cheap ($20+ each way) to travel to the more populated areas; Limited on-site dinning

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Blakery
Le_Meridien_Koh_Samu, General Manager at Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Dear Blakery,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience of Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, particularly since your stay seems to have been around yearend of 2011 as mentioned. Hopefully, that means that we are positively in your thoughts!

The hotel is spread over 9 rai (3.5 acres) of land and consists of 77 suites and villas. We are indeed a boutique resort and anyone looking for a very intimate environment, close enough to tourist conveniences but situated in calm surroundings, is sure to enjoy their stay.

We are glad that you found our rooms, partly enclosed- partly ingtregated with nature, to be fun and a welcomed experience for a tropical resort.

We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed at this property for 3 nights in July in a Plunge Pool Suite. The hotel grounds were very unique and sanctuary-like. On entering the hotel, it is like entering a new world of relaxation! Staff are extremely courteous and helpful. I was particularly impressed by housekeeping, who do a fantastic job and also leave a document for guests to suggests any changes/improvements they would like to how the room is cleaned/maintained.

The hotel's pool/restaurant area (which connects to the private beach) is superb. I never had any trouble getting a sunbed or prompt service.

I loved the room, which features a small plunge pool between the outdoor bathroom and toilet area. All the room appointments were luxurious and of a high standard. I also really liked the sitting area at the entrance of the room (before the bedroom) where I could relax and read the newspaper while having a cup of tea or coffee.

I actually found the beach quite nice, which is in opposition to quite a number of reviewers. I don't usually swim at the beach and prefer to wade in the shallows/walk along the sand, for which this beach was perfect as it is quite shallow but picturesque.

Food at the hotel is quite expensive, but is very nice indeed, so I would recommend it if you are prepared to pay the premium.

Overall, I thought this hotel was absolutely wonderful and I cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Liam T,

We are glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay at Le Meridien Koh Samui!

It is so nice that you noticed our request for guest feedback during stay in regards to service of room. We feel that it if there is anything we can do better, the time to improve is while the guest is still with us as the issues should be addressed and rectified immediately. Feedback is always welcomed throughout and no one should have to spend a night in discomfort. By the time of departure, we endeavour to ensure that our guests are happy and relaxed. Therefore, it is good to know that you had a "wonderful" stay.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future!

Generaly Manager

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Overall a nice stay. We had some of the nicest and most courteous staff of any Starwood property we have ever visited. There are really only 7 rooms on the property that are worth staying at. The Ocean View Suites are fabulous. When we first arrived, we were in one of the plunge pool rooms. It sounded nice and looked nice from the pictures, but really offered nothing that we wanted to enjoy about staying on a beautiful island - no sun deck, all shaded, little privacy. We inquired about upgrading the room and fortunately the resort was able to accommodate upgrading us to one of their 7 ocean view rooms with private pool for a reasonable fee per day. These rooms are worth every bit of the cost! The lantern shows every night were spectacular. If you are a Platinum guest like we are, they take very good care of you and provide a free drink every night at happy hour, as well as free breakfast.
We also recommend contacting the hotel prior to arrival and arranging transportation from the airport. It's a nice experience with cold water and cold face towels in a nice vehicle versus a standard taxi. Taxi is ok too, but there was not much difference in the cost to use the hotel limo and enjoy a much nicer ride.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to an ocean view suite. There are only 7 of them but in our opinion, they are the on...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeremy K

Dear Jeremy K,

As a valued Starwood Platinum Guest, we are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and most importantly, found the staff to be the nicest and most courteous staff of any Starwood property you have ever visited.

Our 6 room types all offer different features to satisfy guest needs and we are glad that you found the Oceanfront Pool Villa to be the most suitable for your stay. These villas are amongst the best on the island but unfortunately for the associates, once guests get in to one, we hardly see them for remainder of stay.

Your insights about the local taxi's are spot on. Local taxi prices here not metered so hotel prices are extremely competitive. Often times, we actually match the local taxi prices but with better vehicles and service.

It seems as though your rating of our location might have affected your overall rating of stay with 3-stars despite a positive review but if you return and get to know the island better, I am very confident that you will appreciate the proximity to local hotspots with the privacy and calm of a luxury resort.

Therefore, we hope to welcome you back soon and will do our best to make your stays even more enjoyable from the start!

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I was very nervous about this place before we got here as some of the reviews were pretty negative complaining about the beach and other aspects. I must say that after only 1 night here I am sold on this place and could not imagine taking a star away. once we arrived we were immediately greeted by the hotel staff and taken to a lounge seat in the lobby where they checked us in. At some properties you feel like a number at checkin but Le Meridien makes you feel special. The property is very chic and there are only 78 rooms which makes it a very warm feeling and quaint. It is not overcrowded with tourists and coming from Bangkok and Chang Mai we finally feel like we are at a resort.

Upon arrival we laid out for a bit but the rain came down pretty hard around 4 pm so we chilled in the beautiful restaurant and had some green tea. When we went back to our room we found a puddle in the bathroom from flooding. We called the front and within 3 minutes the engineer and cleaning service was here to help us. They moved us next door and in this room there was a leak so because of all this hassle we got upgraded to a pool access suite. I probably shouldn't of said the leaks in the room but things happen and they were not rude or disrespectful about it. They were overly attentive to this. All they wanted to do was make our stay feel unique and give us an extraordinary experience.

Make sure to eat dinner here as it feels good to get away from the Thai food that we are pretty sick of I had a burger and my wife had prawns. We met an employee who recommended we go to Nikki Beach for Sunday brunch and hang out and this is highly recommended. Only 950 baht ($32) for all you can eat buffet with over 50 items from 11 am - 4 pm. I think we went up 5 times between those 5 hours and you get sunbed.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate about booking this place again as the staff and location are top notch. Iknow some people would have taken stars away based on our experience but things happen and the way they handled it made all the difference. I will recommend you to all my friends who visit Samui.

Special shout out to Luke for the recommendations at lunch.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Austin C

Dear Austin C,

As a manager in the hospitality industry, there can be no better title than the one you have awarded Le Meridien Koh Samui in your review of our resort. It only encourages our people to take customer service to another level and we will certianly do our best to deliver.

While I regret that you experienced some leaks opon arrival and apologize for the inconveniences caused by this, we appreciate your understanding and are glad to hear that our associates assisted to make the recovery seamless and sincere.

We are also glad that you will recommend the resort to all your friends and hope that you too will personally return to stay with us as well.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I've been to Samui a few times before, each time staying in different locations, and was actually reluctant to visit the island again as I always felt it be "touristy", with even top hotels leaning more towards package holiday makers. In a way, I have found the Le Meridien to stand out by being more consistent to what international travelers may expect from a top tier chain hotel.

Arrival:
The hotel airport transfer is quick and efficient (20 mins) and relatively good value for money, even though local taxis will probably cost a fraction. Once you get to the hotel, you are more or less dropped at the roadside outside the hotel grounds and have to walk down the entry path to reception (about 200 meters), which at first looks more like a service path. Not a very good first impression. But once you get the Lobby, you are greeted by a water feature which "transports" you into the inner sanctuary of the hotel. Greeting is friendly, but the absence of any form of door staffing makes you feel lost at first as the reception desk is a bit hidden away. Check in is efficient. You will find yourself in your room or villa within 10 minutes.

Hotel Grounds:
Small-ish resort with an open plan restaurant in a kind of colonial style with the pool and the ocean in front and a beautiful palm tree lined garden behind it that is lined by the main hotel buildings containing the Verandah rooms I believe. Beyond this central area, the Villas spread out through some winding paths framed by well placed greenery and trees. It is not a jungle, but rather very stylish minimals, still giving it a lot of tropical flair. The hotel has a beach, but it is hardly worth mentioning as not being very appealing. Hotel life is around the pool. The hotel is in immaculate condition.

Style:
I'd call it tropical retro colonial with a hint of boutique minimalism

Rooms:
I stayed at a Pavillion Pool Villa. Those villas are about a pleasant 3 minute walk from the restaurant and central garden in the second row away from the beach. You enter a private courtyard through your own gates. The central feature is an approx 3 by 3m plunge pool which has the bedroom villa at one end, the outside bathroom and shower at the opposite (incl. al fresco heavy stone bath tub) and a roofed outside chill out / sofa area as well as your own private sun lounger. The Villa I stayed in was extremely private and the courtyard cannot be looked into from the outside. The bedroom is functional with all modern conveniences and a small work area. Wifi available with decent strength and speed. Rooms also feature iPod dock for the stereo. The bed was very comfortable, although slightly too soft for my liking.

Restaurant:
The hotel has only one restaurant (plus a small-ish pool bar that offers some snacks during the day). There is a main floor at Pool level and and upstairs that is quieter and has better views. There is a number of tables between the restaurant and the pool which are set slightly lower and surrounded by water. Very nice to chill. The food is of very high quality and everything was cooked to very high standards and full of authentic flavours. Dishes on offer are a cross of Asian, Mediterranean and International which gives you plenty of choice for whatever mood you are in. Prices are reasonable for this kind of hotel in this region. My favourite dish: Black sticky rice with Mango. Delicious!

Service:
Appropriate, but not "wow". Not sure if this is intended as part of their design approach or just due to tuned down service in the off season. You got what you wanted and got it done efficiently, but no extra mile. Service in the restaurant was extremely variable. One evening when they were more busy, service was efficient, anticipating the guests needs: cocktails, starters, main course, drinks came at the right timing and the right speed to make it a nice relaxed evening. Water and wine were refilled and staff was knowledgeable of the menu. The other evening there were only two tables taken, different staff, and quite honestly it would not have surprised me if the starter came for desert and the wine in a beer glass. Plates were only cleared when the next dish arrived and the menu sat on my table until mid main main course. Felt like I was in the middle of a failing staff training session.

The Good:
Food, Style, Atmosphere, Private Villas

The Bad:
Beach, Service

Overall Impression:
The hotel make me like Samui again. Beautiful grounds and very versatile place that can be what you want it to be: couples retreat for a special occasion, family holiday, weekend getaway or even business stop over. I have no reservations to recommend to friends

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank epicentre

Dear epicentre,

Thank you for your thorough and fair review as experienced during your recent visit.

We are glad to learn that after several visits to Samui already and a reluctance to return, Le Meridien has helped to restore your confidence in the destination. We hope that other travelers will agree with your overall impression that the hotel is indeed a versatile place that can be what they want it to be. The team here are all here to assist with that as well.

Samui is a very intimate island, easy to get around and to me, charming. The more you get to know it as you have, the less touristy it can certainly become after finding the right places to visit and feel comfortable in. Our location in Lamai does offer that with proximity to popular spots while private enough to feel at home. It is good to know that the hotel setting and layout did not make you feel like another tourist in its boutique environment.

If you do return, our aim would be to truly secure your loyalty in both our resort and the destination and we will certainly look in to areas of improvement as highlighted. As a Samui regular, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any tips in getting to know the island even better.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
Amari Koh Samui
Amari Koh Samui
#10 of 104 in Chaweng
Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Been to Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!