“Good Bar, Decent Food, Nice Staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #51 of 151 Restaurants in Lamai Beach
Price range: US$3 - US$30
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, European, Asian, Pub, Thai
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Cheap Eats, View, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Kontiki New Nordic Beach Bar and Restaurant is the largest beach bar and restaurant on Lamai Beach. Happy Hour Everyday! Kontiki is always a buzz with weekly events such as our popular Lamai Fire Beach Parties Fridays and Mondays. There is something for everybody at Kontiki!
Soham, United Kingdom
“Good Bar, Decent Food, Nice Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have been to Lamai several times and have never come across this place before. In fact it was only because I was looking at hotels more central to Lamai that the Swing Bar came to my notice. Don't be put off by the name, it has nothing to do with wife swapping. It took me a while to find as the road it is down is dimly lit and at first thought I was going nowhere. However the road it is on loops round from the Boxing ring (Mcdonalds) and then rejoins the main road further down. I found it opposite Rich Resort (same owners) right on the beach. The bar and restaurant is huge, but don't be put off by this it actually feels quite homely. There are 3 pool tables off to one side, but not in the way.
This is not a girly bar. It was actually quite refreshing to go to a bar order a drink and enjoy it listening to some great music, which was just the right volume. I suppose it is a western style bar with a western style of operation.
I ate here several times and had no complaints, in fact the steak I had one night was probably one of the best steaks I have ever had. Looking at the other dishes served the portions looked good and from what I had the quality good to.
Drinks are slightly more expensive than in the town centre, but in the centre you don't get to enjoy your drinks on the beach, lying on a sun lounger watching a fire show. There is a bar on the beach as well. I must add that if it is a clear night and the moon is out then the view over the bay is stunning.
The staff were friendly and efficient and there were plenty of them. You could sit at the bar, restaurant area or down on the beach. You never had to wait long to be served.
I for one loved this place and at times made a welcome change to the noise and endless games of Connect 4 in the boxing ring area. I will certainly use the place again.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

• Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
“Fun place to eat and drink”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

The swings at the bar are a great novelty features. The food is tasty and filling and good value for money. The cocktails are lovely and it is a little over priced but worth it as their is seating on the beach. At night the fire shows are fantastic!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Brussels, Belgium
“Tacky and over-priced. Fire show is ok”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Drinks are over-priced compared to nearby bars/restos and the staff we dealt with were a bit snotty (stressed and over-worked maybe?). We paid 160 baht for a large Singha which is more expensive than neighboring bars/restos but I guess this includes mark-up for entertainment. The fire show was ok - I have seen a lot better elsewhere - and then it turns into limbo dancing etc for the younger members of the audience. Good fun if that's what you're after :-))

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kilkenny, Ireland
“perfect location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

free sunbeds are a great incentive to draw people in during the day. Food is very tasty but service during the day was poor for food, meals did not arrive together (not the only place that we received this kind of service) but evening meal service was much better. Fire shows nightly and beach party ends at a respecatable time..good enough experience..

Visited February 2014
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“A Bar With Swings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

As it says in the title thats all it is. It could be excellent as it \'s very different when you get inside but it lacks atmosphere and decent staff. I agree with other reviewers it is overprice and the staff are certainly not customer service orientated, we were sat in there quite late one evening & wanted another drink but everyone was clearing up around us and we were told they were shutting. Now as we were led to believe it stays open till 2 we thought we were in plenty of time for another drink at ten past one but no the shutters were shut and that was it we were out. I have run many bars over the years and would love to get my hands on this one as the potential is amazing.

• Visited January 2014