lame title, but seriously, great place to stay if you don't mind paying about 2500-3000 baht a night.
for those who haven't been to koh samui before (or to any of thailand for that matter), I would highly recommend splashing out just a little more money on accommodation because you definitely get a lot of bang for your buck (unless maybe you are staying in thailand for more than a month or so).
samui sense were great, they were very accommodating of all our needs, they even drove me to the doctor when I became a bit sick with a lung infection which was nice.
even just the standard superior rooms are fantastic, I stayed in these and knew people staying there in the poolside villa and garden villa(? - can't remember the exact name) which were nice but the superior rooms are actually in a more recently built building so if you don't mind necessarily not having a window (even though some of the superior ones do have balconies) then the I would definitely recommend the superior over any other room in the hotel (odd I know, but just trust me and save your money...and ironically get a bigger tv!)
the breakfast buffet is great with lots of variety (like most breakfast's in moderately priced thai hotels), if you are a coffee drinker - you will appreciate the coffee (as many as you like) made by a barista every morning.
the restaurant at samui sense after breakfast is also great with a massive selection of meals and drinks. they are a little pricey though compared to many other places along the beach so make sure you go for a wander!
if you are up for super cheap thai food, directly across the road from samui sense is a great place open all day serving things like a plate chicken pad thai for around $1.30 Australian - can't go wrong!
tips as well for anyone staying in lamai:
If you are in the age bracket of 18-28yrs (like we were) just a warning - whilst lamai is an incredibly relaxing contrast to chaweng, it IS mostly populated now by 35-60yr olds, mostly european couples. so if a sea of speedos and the occasional old dude wearing a g-string wont ruin your holiday then great - definitely still go there. If on the other hand it will really stop you from relaxing and enjoying yourself, maybe chaweng is the way to go.
Finally, if it is an issue, samui sense don't hire dvd players and the dodgy indian dude up the main strip in the dvd shop wants you to pay 150bht ($5 aus) per night for one! this can be a bit of a let down if you are sick of watching anderson cooper on CNN and endless repeats of samuel l. jackson movies on hbo. but have no fear - we have the solution! grab a moped and cruise down to 'Tesco Lotus' which is the closest thing to a shopping centre on samui and buy the cheapest dvd player you can. they have a 7 day money back return policy. nuff said.
Oh! and the most important thing OF ALL! if you are going to full moon party just for the night DO NOT book with a company called 'seahawk'. check with the travel agent/hotel or whoever you are booking with that the company is not called 'seahawk'. long story short, they overbook and in the end choosing to book with them shaved a casual 4 hours off the time we could've spent at the party.
i hope somewhere in all that mess you found something helpful to plan your trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the middle of Lamai beach, Koh Samui’s white sandy beach with various shopping and nightlife entertainment , Samui Sense provides you with an ultimate comfort in one of Koh Samui’s best locations. We are only less than 30 mins from Koh Samui’s airport and only 15 mins to Chaweng nightlife area. Our small boutique hotel has recently been upgraded to a true four-star boutique hotel standard, blended with Koh Samui’s original design concepts, our hotel accommodation design ranges from traditional Thai architecture to modern contemporary. Our 44 units comprises of 6 Poolside Villas, 8 Thai Villas, 20 Superior Rooms, 8 Junior Suites and 2 Executive Suites. Samui Sense represents what Samui's old charm used to be and is a well preserved property on the island with true Samui hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Samui Sense Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samui Sense Beach Hotel Lamai Beach
- Samui Sense Beach Koh
- Samui Sense Beach Resort Ko Samui/Lamai Beach