“Excellent stay with many little details”

Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Stayed at this property in the last week of November for a quick little get-away. Upon arriving for check-in, the staff provides some cold scented towels and sorbet to cool off and while your check-in is completed. The hotel general manager stopped by and welcomed me to the property, a very nice touch. Being a Platinum Marriott member I was also invited to a cocktail party that evening and some drink coupons, unfortunately there's so much to do on Koh Samui I never got a chance to use them. The choice of arrival gifts/amenities was a nice touch as well.

The Villa: I had booked a villa online based on the descriptions and reviews, and I was not disappointed. I learned later the villas are being renovated and apparently I had stayed in one of the newly renovated ones. Very spacious, with walls covered end-to-end in windows you can open, and some statues & water features/fountains just outside to provide privacy. The interior was full of dark and light natural woods, providing a suitably tropical atmosphere to the living areas. The shower was HUGE and the bathroom had multiple windows to let in the natural light, as well as a second set of doors leading to the private pool.

The pool was gorgeous, set up as an infinity pool overlooking the beach and ocean. I didn't use the beach & pool area too much as most of my time was spent out motorbiking the island and meeting locals, but the drinks were made well and service was quick.

But the pool, the villa, the restaurants, etc. alone were not enough to earn the perfect rating I gave this property. What I will really remember most about my stay is all of the attention to detail by the staff. One day as housekeeping was refreshing the fresh fruit plate in my villa, I made a comment that I enjoy the rambutans (little furry/hairy alien-looking fruit). For the rest of my stay, each day I would find a heaping mound of rambutans in the fruit plate. I was staying at this resort on my birthday, and that whole day as I was walking around the resort, somehow everyone on the staff knew it was my birthday and made sure to wish me a "Happy Birthday" in addition to the traditional Thai "Sawasdee" greeting. At breakfast, I was surprised with a birthday cake with my name written on it and a song from the restaurant staff. Honestly I had forgotten myself that it was my birthday, and yet somehow everyone on the entire staff knew about it before I did.. the staff helped me quickly rent a motorbike for my stay (DEFINITEEY the way to get around!) and helped research some very particular things I was looking for (including some Batik sarongs to buy for my mother, and a tailor to help turn them into a dress)..if I was asleep or away, they would print out detailed directions and maps to help me find obscure, out-of-the-way shops and leave them for me. The general manager once again came to say goodbye as I was checking out, and I let him know I would certainly be returning (with friends and/or family).

It's all of these little touches that make you feel truly welcome -- when combined with excellent facilities and a beautiful location, I'd have to say it is certainly one of my favorite resorts/hotels around the world and that I will certainly stay there again when I return to Koh Samui.

Room Tip: I am not really sure what the progress is on renovating all the villas; I had booked a villa but the...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,274)

Reviewed 24 November 2011

Wonderful place to relax and unwind. It is away from the main places of Lamai and Chaweng, however the hotel offers shuttles to visit these places during the day. Very serene property. Ideal for people who want to be close to nature. The staff are also nice and helpful. Swimming pool has an awesome view.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We both really enjoyed our stay. We were on honeymoon and we received a personal welcome from management and his team. Our room was excellent, spacious and very clean. Staff throughout the resort were excellent.

Pool has an unbelivable view and very friendly staff willing to make the next cocktail for you.

We thouroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend the resort highly.

Suggesiton is to hire a scooter or make use of the resorts shuttle service and go into Lamai or Chewang to enjoy local restaruants at great prices.

Resort is also well located away from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng and Lamai

1  Thank Bryan H
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Staff were fabulous drinks were expensive resort hotel was quiet with empty dinner tables but hotel staff and all managers and waiters were the best even though prices and. Value out of sync with the island

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 1 November 2011

From the moment we stepped into the resort foyer we were made to feel welcome by the friendly staff. Our room was beautiful with a stunning view, very clean and well appointed. The staff in all areas of the resort provided excellent service and seemed genuinely happy to be there. The resort is well located in a quieter part of Lamai but not far from the main centres.
The resort provides shuttle services to Lamai & Chaweng shopping areas.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and plan to go back again in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe ocean view room.
1  Thank Keith and Cathy M
Reviewed 31 October 2011

It was great , perfect. Thanks a lot for the best service, Thanks for the nice and friendly staff.
The view was beautiful. The resort is so quit and beautiful that you feel like in paradise.
If you want more entertainment, there are lots of possibilities to take a car, a bus, a bike to get to Chaweng or Lamai.
Everybody wants to help you.
We see us soon.

2  Thank vonEckern
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Our villa was amazing: gorgeous, relaxing, and with the best service. This doesn't feel like a chain hotel at all. We stay are loyal to Marriotts/Ritz Carlton and this is one of the best. The private-villa set-up feels so nice and secluded. The restaurants are great, breakfast is amazing. There is a small beach nook that is quiet and awesome. The concierge was very helpful. They helped us get set up with a moped and we just cruised around the island all week! I couldn't get over how nice people, all over Thailand, but especially here, were.

Room Tip: One looking out over the ocean
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Amari Koh Samui
Amari Koh Samui
#11 of 103 in Chaweng
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!