Stayed at this property in the last week of November for a quick little get-away. Upon arriving for check-in, the staff provides some cold scented towels and sorbet to cool off and while your check-in is completed. The hotel general manager stopped by and welcomed me to the property, a very nice touch. Being a Platinum Marriott member I was also invited to a cocktail party that evening and some drink coupons, unfortunately there's so much to do on Koh Samui I never got a chance to use them. The choice of arrival gifts/amenities was a nice touch as well.
The Villa: I had booked a villa online based on the descriptions and reviews, and I was not disappointed. I learned later the villas are being renovated and apparently I had stayed in one of the newly renovated ones. Very spacious, with walls covered end-to-end in windows you can open, and some statues & water features/fountains just outside to provide privacy. The interior was full of dark and light natural woods, providing a suitably tropical atmosphere to the living areas. The shower was HUGE and the bathroom had multiple windows to let in the natural light, as well as a second set of doors leading to the private pool.
The pool was gorgeous, set up as an infinity pool overlooking the beach and ocean. I didn't use the beach & pool area too much as most of my time was spent out motorbiking the island and meeting locals, but the drinks were made well and service was quick.
But the pool, the villa, the restaurants, etc. alone were not enough to earn the perfect rating I gave this property. What I will really remember most about my stay is all of the attention to detail by the staff. One day as housekeeping was refreshing the fresh fruit plate in my villa, I made a comment that I enjoy the rambutans (little furry/hairy alien-looking fruit). For the rest of my stay, each day I would find a heaping mound of rambutans in the fruit plate. I was staying at this resort on my birthday, and that whole day as I was walking around the resort, somehow everyone on the staff knew it was my birthday and made sure to wish me a "Happy Birthday" in addition to the traditional Thai "Sawasdee" greeting. At breakfast, I was surprised with a birthday cake with my name written on it and a song from the restaurant staff. Honestly I had forgotten myself that it was my birthday, and yet somehow everyone on the entire staff knew about it before I did.. the staff helped me quickly rent a motorbike for my stay (DEFINITEEY the way to get around!) and helped research some very particular things I was looking for (including some Batik sarongs to buy for my mother, and a tailor to help turn them into a dress)..if I was asleep or away, they would print out detailed directions and maps to help me find obscure, out-of-the-way shops and leave them for me. The general manager once again came to say goodbye as I was checking out, and I let him know I would certainly be returning (with friends and/or family).
It's all of these little touches that make you feel truly welcome -- when combined with excellent facilities and a beautiful location, I'd have to say it is certainly one of my favorite resorts/hotels around the world and that I will certainly stay there again when I return to Koh Samui.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, a Marriott Luxury & Lifestyle hotel is the perfect place for a vacation getaway, destination wedding or executive retreat where you can escape to your own seaside villa with private pool, blending the luxury of the world's best spa resort with the intimacy of a secluded island village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelbag, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Koh Samui Hotel Lamai Beach
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort And Spa
- Koh Samui Renaissance
- Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa Ko Samui/Lamai Beach