“Nice resort”

Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

We booked for 3 nights at this resort. The full stay was great and loving as they do have friendly staffs to accommodate you when you arrive. The rooms are good and clean. The pool is lovely as it is overlooking the sea. The food they serve at the restaurant is great.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Briggsdman
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Briggsdman -

Sawasdee Krub from Koh Samui to New York!

Thank you for your lovely review. I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially liked the beverage & food offerings. We have just completed to introduce new menus at our all day daining restaurant Banana Leaf and the Pool Bar which will be followed by an exciting new Tapas menu at Tapas bar in November featuring Thai, Spanish, Arabic and International Tapas.

We hope to welcome you back to the Renaissance one day and send our best rgeards,

Killian Donoghue.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,274)

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

So I may be a little biased because they upgraded me from sea view room to a villa, however one can see that no matter where u stay here it's a little bit of heaven...

The staff are unfailingly polite, the hotel has great , sloping to the sea layout with well kept tropical trees and foliage. Rooms are really spotless and quiet. Breakfast and lunch in Bananaleaf restaurant is very good value and the local fruits and special dishes are really good.

Only thing that entailed a 1/10 score was a spectacularly bad 4 cheese pizza at the poolside. Cheese hard to find, undercooked doughy pastry... But hey, who eats pizza in Thailand, should have stuck to local dishes !

Real easy access to airport, some small restaurants and shops in vicinity if you need to get out .

Beach is very nice, water around 1 meter deep for maybe 200 out, so really safe if you have bigger kids.

Great pool overlooking the azure sea ... Beats downtown Bangkok!

• Stayed: November 2013
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Mark R -

While you enjoyed your upgrade, I am very happy that you also loved our breakfast offerings, the service of the Renaissance team and the tranquil surroundings.

In regards to the Four Cheeses Pizza, I will take it up with our Chef Tor as I know that he is very passionate about pizzas that we by the way bake in our own pizza oven. We have just launched a new range of pizzas and I hope that you would be able to come back to vist to try them.

Until then: Thank you for the great feedback and greetings from Koh Samui!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We checked in for two nights at the end of the year last year. Because we had booked two rooms, and we were a family of five, the hotel kindly upgraded us to the 2-bedroom villa on the beach. It is very spacious. And had great facilities, but was a tad dark for my taste. Very close to the main pool there, too. The only thing was that when it rained, we had to walk in the rain to the restaurants, which meant navigating slippery pathways. No covered walkways from the villa.

Even though the hotel was more or less at 98% occupancy, the hotel staff were still quite enthusiastic and the service was good. Food was quite decent, and we had nothing to complain about the breakfast. My daughters loved the lemograss/coconut ice cream.

The only "problem" I had was with the New Year's celebrations. We had an early flight on Jan. 1st., so we all went to bed at 10pm. Stupid idea. Our villa backed up onto the pool bar area where unbeknownst to us they decided move the New Year's party there. So at 11:50 pm, we were all woken up by very LOUD music which lasted for two hours or so. I thought they were going to confine the New Year's party to the lobby due to the rain. My bad. Sort of regretted accepting the upgrade, but hey, have to take the bad with good, right?

Anyway, had I been younger (and not part of a party travelling with my elderly mother, and having an early flight the next day) this would not have bothered me -- and I might have just joined the celebrations instead of burying my head in the pillows.

Room Tip: The regular rooms are located across the way from the main part of the resort. (The rooms also had a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Resort_addict1638 -

Greetings from the Renaissance Koh Samui! Thank you for sharing your memories of 2013 New Year's Eve with the tripadvisor community.

While I was not at the resort yet when you stayed with us, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the stay in our two bedroom Royal Lamai Villa together with your family. Indeed, the New Year's celebrations were moved back to the beach after the rain had stopped as our guests were eager to welcome the New Year right on the beach. The Royal Lamai Villa is amongst a very few that are overlooking this beach, so I am sorry to hear that it was not the right choice based on your needs to get an early night's rest. While I can not comment on the period of last December, I would like to share with you that our Deluxe Rooms are all fresh and dry these days.

Dear Resort_addict1638, it would be a pleasure to welcome you once more here at the Renaissance and I would love to personally take care of you whilst staying with us. Please let me know via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com whenever I may be of assistance.

With best regards from Koh Samui,

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband and I brought my parents to this hotel end of last month for a very relaxing holiday with nothing much planned. We booked two garden villas which were a decent size. I like the spacious court yard, though it is a little dark when the sun goes down as there isn't enough lights. The mini pool was covered with leaves even when we got there.

What I like about the place is the lush green that surrounds the entire resort. It gives the place a sense of freshness as we breathe in the air.

There are two pools. One is the fun pool where everyone swims at no particular direction. This 5ft deep pool is surrounded by deck chairs with people lounging about reading or just soaking in the scenery of the beautiful sea ahead of them. The other is a lap pool, for those wanting to swim to exercise. I prefer this pool as it doesn't have many people swimming in it. It's about 4ft deep.

Food at the resort is great but the price can be a little steep. We went for the Thursday night seafood barbeque on the beach. Food was in abundance. There was a little performance which was quite entertaining.

The library, which thankfully is air-condtioned, is situated right in the center of the resort. Though the collection of books is not something to be bragged about, this little library provides a place for readers who want to read in a comfortable place. The single computer in there is also useful for people who want to do a little surfing.

The hotel staff were courteous and friendly. Some couldn't speak much English but they still greeted us in their language.

And oh yes, having wifi around the resort is a plus for people like my husband and I. :)

Overall, I'd say this is a good place to go to for honeymooners and those who just want to get away from the everyday hustle and bustle of the city life.

Room Tip: Go for the villa instead of the deluxe room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear RachelSCTan -

Greetings from tropical and sunny Koh Samui!

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailled review here on tripadvisor. I am thrilled to hear that you liked our Garden Pool Villas - we have added additional lighting to the courtyard of your villa after your feedback - and especially our tropical garden which is the pride of our landscaping team. Sometimes indeed the lush gardens mean that leafs fall into the private pools and we hence provide little nets upon request.

I am also happy to learn that you enjoyed our two pools, the beach as well as the BBQ which is held once per week right on the beach.

Dear RachelSCTan, I hope that we could welcome you back one day. Please feel free to be in touch via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com if I may be of any assistance.

All the best,

Killian Donoghue

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at the Renaissance during the Golden week and we knew it was going to get very busy after the first few days as soon as the mass of Chinese visitors arrived in Koh Samui. Our guess was correct and until the morning of 2nd October we did not feel that the resort was busy at all, but afterwards it became as busy as it can be before it is annoying.
The management team and all other staff were polite, attentive and helpful. Special mention to the trainee manager who has been both understanding and efficient.
Breakfast lounge, bars, restaurant areas and overall condition of all the public areas were excellent. The pool was very nice especially before the resort became busier. The pool is important because the beach although clean and nice it is too shallow for adults and it's a pain to walk 100 meters knee deep before you get a chance to swim a bit.
The breakfast offering is one of the best for this level of resort and easily meets 5 star requirements. It became at times too busy and it can benefit with a separation of the smoking side of the outside area to protect children and adults alike.
The housekeeping was on a couple of occasions too late and the room was not made up until just before dinner time. We liked the fact towels and bedding is not changed unnecessarily daily, but hanging bars outside the shower room would go a long way to ensure your towels dry and stay fresh longer so they would not need to be changed.
The shower was not in good condition. the mixing tap was overused and would not work properly. Although we advised them to fix it, the maintenance team only unsuccessfully tried to screw it tighter. The air conditioning is not a very quiet system (although I have slept with much worse in Asia) so it is a good idea to cool down the room during the afternoon and early evening and switch it off for sleeping.
The rooms benefit from a bathtub/ Jacuzzi system just outside the shower room on the balcony. There are fold down privacy blinds and nice lighting which in theory should make this a beautiful retreat for couples, but we did not get a chance to use it. The system did not work and the maintenance team was eventually called in to remove a plastic disc that blocked the buttons. But even before that we were astonished to find how dirty the water was coming out of the tap. Finally we had to fill and empty the tub about 5-6 times to get the water to a decent state of cleanliness.
With these exceptions which could be isolated to our room the residence on the garden/pool side views on ground level is generally comfortable and because it was on ground floor it gets immediate access to the 50m long pool (superb for swimming in the morning before breakfast).
We liked the fact there is a free shuttle, but the uncomfortable timings and schedule meant we never used it. The car offering from the rental team working with the hotel should be upgraded and the jeeps (cheaper and expensive ones) need to be replaced with safer and better maintained options or another car rental agency needs to be contracted.
The resort as other guests mentioned is in the northern part of Lamai and walking to other places is not the easiest and safest option.
We did enjoy walking down south to Lamai using the beach side. You need to walk in the water on a few occasions but it is safer and very enjoyable compared to the road. The restaurants were decent but unimpressive and the same goes for the Spa which my wife tried. They are reasonable choices to avoid getting to town, but they are not good value for money and you are better off to arrange treatments elsewhere.
The area has only a handful of good restaurants, but all were safe and reasonably priced so you can go out of the hotel for a change without having to go all the way to Chaweng and its craziness.
Overall this is a good choice for a relaxing holiday especially if you plan to drive cars / ride motorbikes as it has easy access to other roads of the island and is positioned well for driving south and west to the part of Koh Samui that are really nice. Depending on the price you get this can be really good value for money or just average.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear kodix -

Sawadee from Koh Samui to London! Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailled review on your vacation experience at the Renaissance.

I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to relax well and that you especially liked our restaurants, bars, pool area as well as our breakfast offerings (which we are very proud of). In regards to our Management Trainee, I am assuming you are refering to Alex at the reception, I will share your positive comment with him.

Thank you for your constructive comment about a possible smoking and non-smoking area on the balcony of Banana Leaf which we will discuss with our team. In regards to the shower in the room, we do actually provide a towel rack on each balcony to keep them fresh and dry.

Based on your comments in regards to the jaccuzzi water as well as the fixtures in the bathroom, we have been taken the room out of service to immediately rectify these two points. All our rooms undergo a quarterly maintenance program but comments like yours are very helpful in order to fix smaller issues in a timely fashion. My personal apologies that the room was not in perfect condition!

Please allow me to also comment on the rental car experience: The Renaissance Koh Samui is offering SUV's, Vans and smaller vehicles for rent with or without driver through our own fleet, which are in very good condition and provide excellent service, insurance and security. There are of course other more economical options that can be booked through us and we can offer a range of providers, from international car rental companies such as AVIS and Hertz to a few local providers. These cars are ranging from top of the line Fortuner SUV's in mint condition to the cheapest option which are old Suzuki jeeps which are fun, however not our first recommendation as they are not the newest ones as you mentioned. My recommendation certainly is to go for the Renaissance cars which by the way are not that much pricier compared to outside providers, i.e. an airport pick up is only THB 900 Net per way and includes a very warm R style welcome inclusive of fresh cocnut juice, ice cold towels, a friendly airport rep that takes care of you upon arrival, mobile phone chargers, lifestyle magazines and much more...

Lastly, i think you will be happy to hear that we are currently implementing new menus in all of our restaurants and bars (Bananan Leaf main restaurant is already in place) to further enhance the culinary experience for our guests. Additionally there are special offers for Spa treatments which currently range from a Thai Massage at THB 1000 per hour by the beach to 2 hours packages at a very good value.

Dear kodix, it would be wonderful to welcome you back one day and to lift your experience from "good" to "fantastic". Having said this, it would be my pleasure to take care of your arrangements personally. Just contact me via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com whenever I can be of assistance.

All the best,

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I was quite happy with our experience at the Renaissance.

The room was spacious and complimentary bottles of water were provided daily when the room was cleaned. Unfortunately we tended to be out of our room from about 9 in the morning until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Several days during the week we returned to our room to find it had not been cleaned, and then as we were relaxing before going out for dinner we would receive a little note under the door indicating that they were unable to clean the room. Not a huge issue though as we were often able to then open the door and catch the cleaning staff in the hallway and make arrangements for them to clean the room or change out the towels.

The bed itself was a bit too hard for our liking, and the pillows were too soft. However, that is all personal preference and it can't be expected that a hotel can accommodate the preferences of every guest.

My one complaint about the room would be the shower and the outdoor tub. We were on the ground floor and the glass doors of the shower didn't lend to the feeling of privacy. I also didn't feel comfortable using the tub outdoors as even lowering the shades out in that area didn't provide complete privacy.

It was also nice to have the mini bar fridge in the room that allowed us to pick up some fruit and sandwich fixings from the Tesco Lotus. We used the hotel's shuttle service several times to go in to Lamai and then from there we would walk to the Tesco. There were also several other times when we walked to Lamai from the hotel -- a task best undertaken before the sun goes down as the hill that the hotel is on can be a bit treacherous once it is dark as the lighting along the hill is poor once you are away from the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

The hotel also offers a free shuttle in to Chaweng, but first goes in to Lamai. It would make more sense to have the shuttle return to the hotel after going to Lamai and before going to Chaweng. However, the availability of the free shuttle is a definitely plus.

The breakfast buffet was lovely with freshly cut fruit available each day. You could also have them make eggs to your preference whether hard boiled, omelettes, fried, etc. I also personally loved the pretzel buns and wish that I had the recipe for them so that I could make them here at home. Each morning I looked forward to the pretzel buns and the fresh watermelon.

We ordered lunch twice during the week while we were at the pool. Both times the food was quite good and the second time staff even accommodated our "special" request for a Hawaiian pizza (ham and pineapple) that was not available on the menu.

We were approached several times by staff while we were relaxing around the pool who asked if we were enjoying our stay or to make us aware of events like the movie night or the barbecue on the beach. They achieved that difficult balance between providing information or checking on the guest's level of comfort without being intrusive.

The pool was lovely! Each day we had no difficulty choosing loungers in an area that provided us with the right amount of shade/sun for our personal preference. At the start of the week there were several umbrellas missing, but staff could be seen moving the umbrellas around to accommodate the guests. Towards the end of the week the missing umbrellas were replaced. Staff were also good at removing the towels from chairs that had been vacated by guests so that they could then be used by other guests arriving at the pool or beach. There was never a time when we were unable to find a lounger to use.

I did enjoy one massage at the hotel during a spa promotion which allowed me to have an hour long Thai massage on the beach for 1000 baht. It was a good massage, but not quite up to the standards of the Thai massages I have each week at a spa at home. I do however understand that some aspects of a Thai massage such as standing on the client's back or different ways of manipulating their muscles is best undertaken only after a relationship has been formed between the therapist and the client to avoid injuries. I also enjoyed a massage in Lamai one evening for 200 baht and found it to be comparable to the one I had at the hotel. (Of course without the convenience of not having to venture out to get it.)

All in all, I had a fantastic week at the resort and would consider returning in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Canadian_Luda -

Sawasdee Krub from Koh Samui! I am pleased to read the comments on your stay here at the Renaissance - thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review!

I am very happy to learn that you loved our Deluxe Room, the breakfast, the daily "pool routine" as well as your massage at the Quan Spa.

Please allow me to comment on some of your feedback:

In regards to the daily housekeeping service of our deluxe rooms, it is correct that the rooms and villas are cleaned once daily between 9am and 4pm (in addition we offer a daily turn down service) . We do however provide a little "Make Up My Room" sign at the door and kindly ask our guests to hang it outside of the room to signal that you would like to have priority service. Alternatively, we are happy to schedule a certain daily time when advised.

Our Renaissance bedding with premium linen includes a firm matress that has a cozy and soft topper to support the back on the one hand but provide a feeling like lying on feathers on the other. We do have an assortment of firmer pillows available upon request.

Thank you also for sharing your concern about the privacy in the Deluxe Rooms. A lot of guests actually love the ground floor rooms as they do have direct access to the garden and Leelawadee Lap Pool, if privacy is a concern though, we certainly recommend to let us know and will allocate a Deluxe Room on one of the higher floors.

By the way: We are underway of launching new menus in all bars and restaurants and I am sure you would love our new Pool Bar selection even more. Please come back to visit some time to try them out.

In regards to the umbrellas at the pool, it is correct that there was a temporary shortage as they were under repair after being damaged in a series of short storms. As you mentioned they are now completely back in action.

Dear Canadian_Luda, we hope that we could welcome you back one day here at the Renaissance and if you drop me a note via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com, I would be very happy to share the recipe for pretzel buns with you.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your Renaissance experience and greetings to Doha,

Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

I just simply loved the courteous staff of the hotel with all the five star amenities. Its got beautiful surroundings with beach pool and superb spa sevices. If i ever get another oppurtunity to come to ko samui i would stay here.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Ankita P
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Anita P -

Sawasdee Krub from the Renaissance! And we simply loved having you stay with us - Thank you for your comments on our Quan Spa, our team will be very happy to hear your feedback!

Please let us know when you get the chance to come back. Just drop me a note via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com and I would be happy to take care of the arrangements.

All the best

Amari Koh Samui
Amari Koh Samui
#11 of 103 in Chaweng
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!