“Enjoyable stay in a beach villa with private pool” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Vienna, Austria
“Enjoyable stay in a beach villa with private pool”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here for a few nights in a beach villa with private pool. The resort is an interesting concept, as on one side of the driveway is the beach side of the resort which has the villas, main pool, spa and restaurants, and on the other side of the driveway is a more traditional-style multi-level multi-room hotel building.

The atmosphere of the villa part of the resort was lovely as the villas are spread out near the beach in tropical gardens. We were very happy with our villa as it was large, comfortable and very private. It was not really situated on the beach as we had expected, however the view we had out across the sea was beautiful and it was only a short walk down to the sand. The villa building itself was large and had a high ceiling. It was open plan and had been well maintained. It had a step-down rainfall type shower that could also be used a large bath. The outside living area was also very large, with lots of free space as well as a dining area, shower, sun-loungers and a pool. The size of the pool was a little disappointing as it was small, especially when compared to other villas with private pool on Koh Samui. Outside the window in the living area was a large pond, and there were some delightful frogs croaking at night.

Check-in was reasonably straight forward, although it seemed to take longer than it should have. We were offered lemongrass and coconut flavoured ice cream instead of welcome drinks on arrival.

The food and beverage service was not bad. We used room service on one occasion and it was friendly and efficient. The breakfast was very good but not amazing. The food and drink selection was good and varied, the disappointment was with the made-to-order food. On the days that we ate breakfast, the person cooking the eggs was not very good at cooking them. The beach bar was small and the service was slow but the cocktails were fine.

We used the gym a couple of times. It was small but adequate. The main pool was good. We did not use the spa at this resort.

The resort is located quite away from Lamai beach, it is not walking distance to the main tourist and restaurant area. There are a few businesses located along the road used to access the resort. This access road runs into the main ring road around the island so you could pick up a shuttle from there. I guess the walk to the ring road would be about 15 minutes or so. There is also a taxi rank at the hotel. We hired a moped and travelled around with that, but I must add a note of caution. I have a motorcycle licence and I have previously lived in Thailand and understand Thai roads/traffic. I saw so many tourists riding mopeds that obviously do not know how to ride a moped/motorcycle, and they were doing some really stupid things. These are the people that cause accidents to both themselves and you. If you do not know how to ride a moped/motorcycle I suggest that Koh Samui is definitely not the place to "give it a go". We enjoyed the secluded feel of the resort and found it very relaxing. At night the view across to Lamai beach and all the lights was lovely.

The only small annoyance was the mosquitoes which were quite ferocious at night. It would have been really nice if the room had had a mosquito net for the bed as we both received quite a few bites each night. We asked the resort for some mosquito coils but were told that they did not have any.

We really enjoyed our stay here. It's not quite the luxury standard of a Banyan Tree or Oberoi but I still give it 5 stars. I would return to this resort again and stay in the same class of villa.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank runsammie
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear runsamie,

Greetings form Koh Samui to Vienna! Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experiences with the TripAdvisor community.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your Beachfront Villa as much as you described! The views are indeed beautiful, especially when stepping out in the early morning hours.

I have taken note of your comments in regards to the skill of our breakfast chef during your stay as well as the speed of service at reception and Pool Bar and all of these will be used to train our teams once more to ensure that every guest has the same positive experience.
I was actually surprised that you were informed of the lack of mosquito coils as we do provide them and will also check especially your villa why there was no mosquito net as all villas are equipped with the same.

Lastly, I could not agree more with you that Koh Samui is not the place to try out driving a motorbike. It is good for experienced drivers, but many first time drivers are involved in accidents, so thank you for bringing this up.

Runsamie, thank you once more for your comments and please let me know whenever I may assist you with a future vacation to Koh Samui via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com

All the best,

Killian Donoghue.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Beautiful resort with very friendly staff. Amazing breakfast spread with Bloody Mary bar. Happy hour specials were great at the pool bar and the bartender makes a mean cocktail. Student hotel management interns from Amsterdam were especially friendly ( Victoria & Niran) and really went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. Beautiful views. Nice pool. Lagoon not great for swimming this time of year but Lamai beach a short walk away. The quality you expect from a Marriott resort abroad!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7 the floor deluxe room which was amazing!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ed B,

Greetings to Colorado from sunny Koh Samui! Thank you for making it all the way to Thailand to visit us.

Nice to see that you enjoyed the drinks that we serve in our resort including the complimentary Bloody Mary at breakfast and the Happy Hour from 5-7pm at the Pool Bar. In fact we have just revamped our beverage menues and I am happy to read that you felt they were up to par!

I have already passed your compliments to Victoria and Niran!

We hope to welcome you again one day and send a big Sawasdee to you,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Our stay at the renaissance resort and spa on lamai beach was wonderful. Amazing staff all spoke very good English. Service was amazing and food was great too. Has an amazing pool with a great temperature for those hot days. Location is right on the beach and access to all the attractions is good. Thanks to the staff for all there help organising all activities, ferrys, and transport :) great place and highly recommended.

Stayed June 2014
Dear Nick S,

Greetings from the Renaissance Team here on Koh Samui!

Thank you for your kind review here on TripAdvisor! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and I am especially pleased about your comment in regards to the English skill of our team. We have regular English classes for all of our ambassadors and I am happy that you could experience the result.

Please come back to visit us as our Navigators have a lot of new Discoveries up their sleeves that they would like to share with you.

Until then I remain with very best regards,

Killian Donogue
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

This was the second time that I stayed at this resort and it was fantastic once again. The staff is outstanding and was very attentive to our special needs. It was my wife's birthday so they setup a private dinner on the beach and helped to arrange a fire show.

We stayed in a villa with a plunge pool which was really nice. There are a lot of trees so the plunge pool can get leaves in the water very quickly. They had a pool leaf skimmer by the plunge pool so I just skimmed the leaves out in two minutes. I thought this was nice since you can't expect the staff to come and skim the pool all the time as there are a lot of trees around and it just isn't practical.

You can walk to Lamai town but it will take 20-30 minutes, just go out to the beach and turn right, walk a long way following the beach and when you see the red building turn right and you be on the main road in Lamai town.

There is a small sandy beach between the pool and the gulf. Huge difference in the gulf depending on high/low tide. If you are looking for a big sandy beach, go to surfer's paradise, but if you are looking for a great resort with seclusion, stay here!

We ordered room service almost every day and the food was excellent. Thursday evening they had a huge buffet on the beach with seafood, beef and a lot of Thai food. They even had some Indian food.

The first time we stayed here, we went to ride the elephants and climbed to the waterfall which was really nice with a great view. This time we went to Samui Aquarium and Tiger Zoo which was fantastic. Go around noon and eat lunch at the Samui Orchid resort by the beach and then see the Sea Lion show at 1:30 and then the Tiger show at 2:30.

If something is not perfect, talk to the management as they are very helpful!

Awesome resort!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear JustAWordTraveller,

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you very much for sending us such kind feedback!

I especially appreciate it as I remember that you also shared constructive comments with us which we have already adressed. We hope that your family enjoyed the stay, especially the Beach BBQ and hope to be able to welcome you back for a third time. Please send me a personal message via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com and I would be happy to make arrangements for a perfect stay.

With best personal regards to you and your family,

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was our 3rd trip to Thailand. We have stayed mainly in five starts but were unable to find one that had two rooms with beachfront and private pool. This was the only one we could find. So we had a 2 bedroom beachfront with private pool. This room is very nice for families with kids. We really enjoyed our time here. It is quite and peaceful. I believe it was the best hotel in this area. The food was good. The water is very rough with coral. I was expecting cleaner waters from reviews. I personally loved Tubkkak hotel in Krabi much better as we had the same. We had a 2 bedroom on the beach with private pool. The hotel and service at Tubkkak was excellent. The beach at this hotel is the best I have been to in Thailand. Waters are so clean. When the shore recedes you can see sand dollars and starfish.

Room Tip: If you have kids recommend the private pool villa on the beach.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MyNazzal
Dear MyNazzal,

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank your for chosing the Renaissance for your family vacation!

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our two bedroom beach access "Royal Lamai Villa" which indeed is perfect for families that look for a luxury beachfront holiday I believe. I will share your positive dining comments with our culinary team.

In regards to the water, indeed we had a low water period over the past 2 months or so which applies to most of eastern Koh Samui. I am happy to share with you though that water levels will change to high levels again starting in July throughout Mid April next year.

We would be delighted to welcome you back one day and hope that you will keep fond memories of your island geataway to Koh Samui.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here as a couple for the first week in May 2014.

As my partner is a Marriott Platinum member we were upgraded to a Pool Villa when it became available (which so happened to be for 5 days out of the 7). The Villas were huge, spotless and stunning. The main focal point being the beautiful 4 poster bed.

The small private pool was lovely, perfectly cool to take the edge off the hottest time of year in Koh Samui.

From beginning to end, all the staff we met were amazingly polite and helpful. Beautiful smiles all round and they really seemed to enjoy their jobs, which is a very rare thing these days!

We ate breakfast every morning in the Banana Leaf restaurant and I can safely say that it was among the best hotel breakfasts I have ever eaten. A LOT of choice and all very well prepared with the usual professional staff smiling as if we'd all won the lottery. It was very infectious and I dare anyone not to smile back!

Room service was a treat, very reasonably priced for a 5 star hotel and again the food was cooked to perfection. An added bonus was that it always arrived hot.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Although the beach wasn't good for swimming, it's right next to Lamai Beach which is. A short taxi ride will get you to wherever you need to be.

Many thanks to everyone at the hotel for making our trip so memorable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 3rdlight
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear 3rdlight,

Greetings to Cardiff from sunny Koh Samui! Thank you very much for chosing the Renaissance to be your holiday getaway, especially as you have many choices being a Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite member!

I am thrilled to read your comments and very happy that our team made your stay so special through their genuine Thai hopitality. Especially our culinary team was proud to read your comments this morning!

We hope that you will come back to visit us soon and starting in June and surely in July, water levels will be much higher to also enjoy a dip in the sea.

Until then, we send our best regards,

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Great resort, superb location, amazing villas, infinity pool, awesome breakfast and food. The beach of the resort is very good and clean, the resort provide kayak for use. Service was excellent and Killian D, General Manager of the resort was very warm and friendly. If you are in Thailand, this is a must have resort in your list

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank rajesh_the_traveller
Dear rajesh_the_traveller,

Greetings from Ren Koh Samui and thank you for sharing your feedback! I am very happy that you still remember us even though your stay was last November. Since your last visit, we have completely refurbished our All Day Dining restaurant "Banana Leaf" and I think if you enjoyed the breakfast then, you will love it now.

Please come back to visit Koh Samui and whenever there is anything I can do to assist, simply drop me a line via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com

All the best and Sawasdee,

Beach Republic The Residences
Beach Republic The Residences
#4 of 50 in Lamai Beach
Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!