“Fantastic stay - greatly recommended.”

Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Singapore, Singapore
“Fantastic stay - greatly recommended.”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel. The staff are exceptionally friendly and accommodating. Any request we had was answered promptly and with a welcoming smile. The food was delicious, capturing both local and western dishes to perfection. The breakfast buffet had a huge range on offer and everything sampled was scrumptious. Our stay was part of our honeymoon, and for this purpose the Renaissance is ideal, plenty of privacy in your villa and ample chance to mingle with other guests if desired. The hotel arranges unique events each night – buffet BBQ, cinema on the beach etc, so plenty to keep you entertained. This is the first hotel I have stayed in where the GM has been actively welcoming and mingling with guests, putting all guest at ease and amplifying the relaxed atmosphere this hotel maintains. A wonderful stay to say the least, and will most definitely be encouraging friends to visit and certainly will return ourselves.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Maire M,

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you for your kind review! After sharing your feedback, especially our culinary team is very proud of your comments in regards to the experienced service levels.

We hope that you will come back to visit us soon and send our very best regards,

killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were lucky enough to be staying in one of the garden villas which was just delightful. The villa was huge for the 2 of us, very high ceiling, big 4 post bed, sunken bath/shower, outdoor splash pool - pure luxury. The staff here are super attentive, and helped us book restaurants, taxis, flights etc. Breakfast here was delicious - so much to choose from including freshly pressed juices, eggs of all varieties, pastries, breads, yogurts etc. This resort really is a haven (especially as my boyfriend and I weren't that impressed with Koh Samui as it seemed to be full of package holidays), and we particularly enjoyed the 50 meter outdoor pool, even if we didn't manage many lengths.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear GizzyLee,

Greetings from tropical Koh Samui! Thank you for your wonderful review. I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our breakfast selection, the spacious Pool Villa as well as our 50 meter lap pool that comes in handy to 'swim off' the Egg Benedict Samui Style....

We all hope to welcome you back soon and send our very best regards,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Spent 5 nights end of July here. Booked one room using cash and one with points. Was upgraded to garden pool villa from deluxe room which was very welcome. The garden villas are in quiet location yet close enough to beach and lobby that you are not far away from resort facilities. The deluxe room on the other hand is in a separate building across the road and bit of a trek down to beach via the main hotel building. Service was excellent as you would expect and clearly this comes from the manager kilian's example, he seemed to bed everywhere during our stay. Breakfast buffets in morning is pretty good although not exceptional but no real complaints here.The evening sea food BBQ was moved from beach to banana leaf due to rain and it was ok but a bit crowded and buffet food only average. The pool and beach area were good and beach is very quiet and no vendors,hawkers to deal with which is a big plus for us. 5 nights for us was a perfect length of stay here. I would not like to stay here for more than a week as it's a bit remote although taxi into lamai beach is around 300 baht each way. The only disappointment was quality of cocktails which we found below average and very syrupy. I would come back but only for weekend stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heccy
Dear Heccy,

Greetings to Singapore from sunny Koh Samui! Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience at the Renaissance with the TripAdvisor community.

It was wonderful to have you and your family with us and I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our private Pool Villas! Your comment in regards to the cocktails by the pool is well noted and will be used to retrain our team in this aspect.

Please let me know whenever I can assist to plan your future weekend getaway and also plan for some good weather for you to thoroughly enjoy our beach BBQ.

With best personal regards,

killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The staff is very friendly, efficient and helpful. Whatever query, problem or wish we had, they took care of it. They took out the time to talk. It was a very warm ambience in the hotel. The management was also present throughout the day, be it in the restaurant, on the compound, beach etc. and added the touch of a personalized ambience. The rooms were excellent and well attended to( Deluxe rooms sea view) . We especially enjoyed the time at the beach, the pool there and the pool bar. Food was truly delicious !
What was a little disappointing was the shallow water of the sea due to the coral reef. But the pools, the one at the beach for fun and the lap pool for swimming made up for it.
We were taken care of right from the check-in (homemade lemongrass ice cream - yummy!) to the check-out. A big hand to all the staff ! Will definitely come back !!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Susanne1704
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Susanne1704,

Greetings from tropical Koh Samui and thank you for your kind review of your vacation here on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the personal ambience at our resort and that our team made your stay special.

We look forward to your visit in the future and expect the water levels to continue to be on the rise, so that all our guests can enjoy a dip in the sea from August all the way through to April next year.

With best regards to Zurich,

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Good accommodation were you will enjoy your holiday very much. Big sleeping rooms with nice terrace with bad outside. The aircos outside were a little bit noisy. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Food was excellent Thai kitchen.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jan Z
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Jan Z,

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you for your review!

I am happy to read that you enjoyed our rooms, the service of our team as well as the culinary offerings.

Would you mind sending me a personal message via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com so that I can follow up on the aircondition noise and ensure it does not repeat itself. Also, if there are any other comments that you may have, they are all appreciated.

With best regards,

Sydney
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The GM of this hotel, Jillian, is truly outstanding, which is reflected in the fantastic service provided by a well trained and dedicated team. Jillian mingles with the guests, having a presence at breakfast and around the pool during the day. Alas, Jillian has an uphill battle to make this hotel exceptional, as he is fettered by deficient infrastructure. I must say that i am surprised that the Marriott Group were willing to choose this property and badge it as a Renaissance.

First, the hotel is divided by a road. If you walk from the beach you encounter the main pool, assorted villas and restaurants and finally reception before you encounter the road. Across the road, which can be crossed via an air bridge, if you wish, you come upon a lap pool and a large complex housing the majority of rooms. This set up yields a number of unfortunate
consequences. It is a trek to get to the beach/main pool. If it is raining you arrive for breakfast soaked. All non villa guests going to or returning from the beach/main pool must walk through reception, which often is a bottleneck of sandy dripping guests in the glory of their swimmers colliding with guests arriving at the hotel for check in or present for check out. It is not a good look for guests arriving at a 5 star property to be greeted by Ma & Pa Kettle........Ma in a bikini that is 2 sizes too small and Pa in his speedos, not perhaps realising that he does not have the physique of Ian Thorpe.

Second and more concerning, there are no toilet facilities adjacent to the main pool! The nearest toilet facilities are up a short incline, turn left through the vegetation and then turn right. I observed over many mornings encompassing several hours of watching that no guests, including a lot of young children, used the toilet facilities. So either they have extraordinary bladders or........From my perspective, i am shocked that this arrangement has been tolerated by Renaissance since inception. This is just not good enough.

I should also mention that the beach has ankle deep water at certain times of year, so no swimming.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank orgia
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear orgia,

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you for spending your family holiday at the Renaissance!

It was a pleasure having you as our guest and to have some engaging discussions about the nature of our resort during your stay.

First of all I would like to thank you for your kind words in regards to the service of our team - they are well received and will be shared with all ambassadors.

Please also allow me to comment on the other feedback:

Indeed the Deluxe Rooms and Suites are located on the other side of the lobby which is separated by a small dead end street. Guests have the choice to go across on ground level or use the lift and then walk over a small bridge.

The gardens in front of the Deluxe Rooms feature a 50m lap pool that is ideal for some quiet time or sporty activity if guests opt to swim a couple of lanes.

The corridors from the Deluxe Rooms to the reception are covered and when walking down to the ground floor also the bridge shields potential rain, meaning you can reach the lobby without having to walk outside. Indeed, the walkways to the private villas and the beach are not covered as it lies in the nature of a beach resort to be open air.

As you rightfully point out, the toilet facilities of the main pool are located a short flight of stairs up from the pool and are then located on your right hand side. The 'walk' from the edge of the pool takes you roughly 15 seconds, meaning it is rather closeby and I would think that all guests in a deluxe resort opt to use the bathrooms. In any case, our water quality is constantly measured and tested and your comments have been taken up for structural improvements in the future.

Finally, please allow me to share that water levels are now rising on a daily basis and starting in the month of August until April, guests will be able to enjoy higher water levels.

Dear orgia, thank you once more for your open and candid feedback while you were staying with us as well as on this forum, and I hope that based on the service levels and the enjoyable culinary offering that you metioned to me, we would have the opportunity to welcome you back one day. Please feel free to contact me personally via killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com whenever I can be of assistance.

With best personal regards,

Southport, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband and I choose this hotel as an special treat to celebrate my Birthday in Koh Samui. We booked a Deluxe Sea View Room for 5 nights (May 2014). When we arrived at the hotel we were welcomed with a delicious home made ice cream and some coconut caramel available at the front desk. Unfortunately our room was not ready and we are offered a free lunch at the Banana Restaurant. It was delicious and worth the wait. Then we were guided to our lovely room. The room was nice, clean and spacious but it was on the 3rd floor and it had a very poor ocean view. we decided to stay in this room even when I was not 100% happy with the view. Next day we did the tour to the Angthong National Park with Tours Koh Samui, we had a lovely day out there and when we come back to the room I got upset as I wasn't enjoying the view. So we decided to talk to the staff at the front desk and tell them that we would appreciate if we had the chance to be moved to a higher level to enjoy a better view. She said next day would be a room available on the 4th floor and we could be moved in there. Next day in the morning on my birthday we went to have breakfast and all the staff at the restaurant come out with a birthday cake singing the Happy Birthday song to me, it was very special and the cake was yummy. Then we went out for 6 hrs to get all pampered at the Carnation Spa and when we come back to the hotel we had our suitcases ready in the new room. I was very happy it was absolutely beautiful with an awesome ocean view. On the night we have booked the Romantic diner for two on the beach and it was absolutely stunning, we had a waiter who was bringing our delicious meals while we were enjoy the view and the sound of the water. Food was excellent. Next day while we were having breakfast, Mr Tor (The Chef) came out to ask us how our night was, we would't stop congratulating him for the fantastic job done.
We can not recommend enough this hotel. The location is great with a private beach. The staff is very polite and friendly, food was delicious, pool was very inviting. Happy hour is great. Rooms are very nice, clean, spacious and very comfortable. Don't miss the gym as it is one of the best gyms I have ever been too. Thanks to all the staff Chin, Sert, Victoria, Tor (The Chef) for making our holiday very special..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Miryam P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your birtday-trip memories with the TripAdvisor community!

I am very happy that we were able to make your birthday getaway so memorable and while I am sorry that the first room was not perfect, I am pleased to read that so many members of our team interacted with you. We will make sure to share your comments with Khun Chin, Khun Sert, Victoria and Chef Tor - I am sure they will be proud to hear of your feedback.

We hope that you will find the time to visit us in the future and please feel free to contact me at killian.donoghue@renaissancehotels.com anytime I can be of assistance.

Greetings from tropical Renaissance Koh Samui to Australia,

Le Meridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Rocky's Boutique Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
#2 of 50 in Lamai Beach

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!