“Horrible Experience - do not stay here!”

Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I hardly write reviews but I have had such a bad experience with this place that I feel compelled to forewarn others....

My family (Wife + 1 Year Old Daughter) and I were booked to stay here Aug 9-12. Arrived 10AM prior to check in time so we were curtly asked by Front Desk manager (Pooky) to wait in the 'Library'. We were told that a room would be ready by noon. This despite the fact that we booked our room 1 month prior and had requested for an early check in.

3 hours later...
- No one had checked in on us, no one provided any update on whether a room would be ready, no water or any service given.
- I called the front desk to check if they had any updates --> i was told that it would be ready in another 1.5 hours
- I said maybe they could speed up the room cleaning as my daughter needed a place to rest and we had been waiting 3 hours --> instead of getting a simple "OK, we are sorry for the inconvenience' and we will try to speed up the cleaning", Manager's reply to me: 'YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT BECAUSE YOU ARRIVED TO EARLY!. I said, can't you just apologize for the delay and speed up the cleaning? Reply from manager: THERE IS NOTHING TO APOLOGIZE FOR, HAVE YOU SEEN HOW BIG THE ROOMS ARE? THEY ARE BIG AND TAKE TIME TO CLEAN
- With that exchange, I decided we were better off staying elsewhere and simply left..(found a great alternative at CENTARA GRAND BEACH RESORT...NICER BEACH FRONT...MUCH BETTER SERVICE)...and had a great time! Thank you Renaissance Samui for inavdertently leading my family to a much better resort!

A week later...
I email the Renaissance Samui General Manager to outline my negative experience but it has been 5 days and seems like my complaint, just like my family have simply been flicked away by Renaissance Samui. No acknoledgement of my email. Just plain silence (consistent with getting zero service while my family and I waitted 3+ hours for our room)

Thank you for taking time to read this review I hope it helps forewarn others that are considering this place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank travelbuddy2001
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Adam P,

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you taking the time to share your feedback!

First of all, please allow me to apologize for the delay in reply to your personal email. I have spoken to all involved team members to understand where the shortcomings during the arrival of your family occured.

After looking into all details, the challenge was that due to high occupancy levels and the anticipated check out of guests at 12 noon, we were not able to provide two connecting rooms for an early check in, only at the official check in time of 2pm. I understand that my team had offered two adjoining Deluxe Rooms for an immediate check in as an alternative which but that you preferred to wait for the booked option of two connecting rooms.

Dear Mr. Pineda, from your explanation below I can see though that we have failed to find a solution for you and especially your baby daughter to find an appropriate space to rest. Furthermore, the fact that we did not communicate the progress of the room availability and did not personally take care of your needs during the waiting period is a shortcoming from our side and for this I would like to sincerely apologize to you and your family.

We have taken your feedback as tool to retrain our reception team. We are usually praised for the personal and exemplary guest service but as it shows in the case of your arrival, we are not free of mistakes and will continue to strive for excellence.

Mr. Pineda, it is dear to my heart to let you and your family experience the hospitality and high service levels that we are usually known for and have hence sent you a private email inviting you to return.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights of bliss. Our accommodations were far beyond expectations much due to their extremely friendly and professional staff, breathtaking ambiance of rooms and grounds, and easy access to all that Lamai Beach area has to offer. The hotel provides transportation to both Lamai and Chawang beach areas and also assisted in arranging our golf trip and high speed boat tour exploring Angthong National Marine park. Would highly suggest talking to the hotel staff about day trip offered on the island as they had great recommendations to what we wanted to do.
The hotel has 3 restaurants within it's grounds however we would suggest venturing out into the town and eating at some of the local restaurants or night market.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Amanda L,

Greetings to Exeter from our sunny island of Koh Samui! It was a real pleasure having you with us and we hope that you will remember this trip for a long time to come.

Thank you for your kind comments which will be shared with the entire team and i am sure they will be proud that we were able to make your stay special.

All the best,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in a beach villa. With beautiful amenities and sweeping views of the ocean, we had such a hard time leaving. The staff was professional and hospitable; the breakfast was DELICIOUS, and the pool was a great place to chill out. I recommend getting a treatment from the spa- heavenly!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Veronica M,

Greetings to Washington from tropical Koh Samui!

We are thrilled how much you enjoyed our beachfront pool villa as well as the breakfast treats and Quan Spa tretaments. Despite the long travel, it would be wonderful to welcome you back one day. Please let me know whenever I may be of assistance.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel. The staff are exceptionally friendly and accommodating. Any request we had was answered promptly and with a welcoming smile. The food was delicious, capturing both local and western dishes to perfection. The breakfast buffet had a huge range on offer and everything sampled was scrumptious. Our stay was part of our honeymoon, and for this purpose the Renaissance is ideal, plenty of privacy in your villa and ample chance to mingle with other guests if desired. The hotel arranges unique events each night – buffet BBQ, cinema on the beach etc, so plenty to keep you entertained. This is the first hotel I have stayed in where the GM has been actively welcoming and mingling with guests, putting all guest at ease and amplifying the relaxed atmosphere this hotel maintains. A wonderful stay to say the least, and will most definitely be encouraging friends to visit and certainly will return ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Maire M,

Greetings from Koh Samui and thank you for your kind review! After sharing your feedback, especially our culinary team is very proud of your comments in regards to the experienced service levels.

We hope that you will come back to visit us soon and send our very best regards,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were lucky enough to be staying in one of the garden villas which was just delightful. The villa was huge for the 2 of us, very high ceiling, big 4 post bed, sunken bath/shower, outdoor splash pool - pure luxury. The staff here are super attentive, and helped us book restaurants, taxis, flights etc. Breakfast here was delicious - so much to choose from including freshly pressed juices, eggs of all varieties, pastries, breads, yogurts etc. This resort really is a haven (especially as my boyfriend and I weren't that impressed with Koh Samui as it seemed to be full of package holidays), and we particularly enjoyed the 50 meter outdoor pool, even if we didn't manage many lengths.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear GizzyLee,

Greetings from tropical Koh Samui! Thank you for your wonderful review. I am very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our breakfast selection, the spacious Pool Villa as well as our 50 meter lap pool that comes in handy to 'swim off' the Egg Benedict Samui Style....

We all hope to welcome you back soon and send our very best regards,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Spent 5 nights end of July here. Booked one room using cash and one with points. Was upgraded to garden pool villa from deluxe room which was very welcome. The garden villas are in quiet location yet close enough to beach and lobby that you are not far away from resort facilities. The deluxe room on the other hand is in a separate building across the road and bit of a trek down to beach via the main hotel building. Service was excellent as you would expect and clearly this comes from the manager kilian's example, he seemed to bed everywhere during our stay. Breakfast buffets in morning is pretty good although not exceptional but no real complaints here.The evening sea food BBQ was moved from beach to banana leaf due to rain and it was ok but a bit crowded and buffet food only average. The pool and beach area were good and beach is very quiet and no vendors,hawkers to deal with which is a big plus for us. 5 nights for us was a perfect length of stay here. I would not like to stay here for more than a week as it's a bit remote although taxi into lamai beach is around 300 baht each way. The only disappointment was quality of cocktails which we found below average and very syrupy. I would come back but only for weekend stay.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heccy

Dear Heccy,

Greetings to Singapore from sunny Koh Samui! Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience at the Renaissance with the TripAdvisor community.

It was wonderful to have you and your family with us and I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our private Pool Villas! Your comment in regards to the cocktails by the pool is well noted and will be used to retrain our team in this aspect.

Please let me know whenever I can assist to plan your future weekend getaway and also plan for some good weather for you to thoroughly enjoy our beach BBQ.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The staff is very friendly, efficient and helpful. Whatever query, problem or wish we had, they took care of it. They took out the time to talk. It was a very warm ambience in the hotel. The management was also present throughout the day, be it in the restaurant, on the compound, beach etc. and added the touch of a personalized ambience. The rooms were excellent and well attended to( Deluxe rooms sea view) . We especially enjoyed the time at the beach, the pool there and the pool bar. Food was truly delicious !
What was a little disappointing was the shallow water of the sea due to the coral reef. But the pools, the one at the beach for fun and the lap pool for swimming made up for it.
We were taken care of right from the check-in (homemade lemongrass ice cream - yummy!) to the check-out. A big hand to all the staff ! Will definitely come back !!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Susanne1704
Killian D, General Manager at Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Susanne1704,

Greetings from tropical Koh Samui and thank you for your kind review of your vacation here on TripAdvisor!

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the personal ambience at our resort and that our team made your stay special.

We look forward to your visit in the future and expect the water levels to continue to be on the rise, so that all our guests can enjoy a dip in the sea from August all the way through to April next year.

With best regards to Zurich,

Rocky's Boutique Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
#2 of 51 in Lamai Beach
SALA Samui Choengmon Beach Resort

Been to Renaissance Koh Samui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!