Spa Resort
US$265
US$374
US$153
Agoda.com
Thai House Beach Resort(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$83
Agoda.com
Rummana Boutique Resort(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$75
Lamai Wanta(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$56
Marina Villa(Lamai Beach)
US$49
US$44
Agoda.com
Rich Resort Beachside Hotel(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
Am Samui Palace(Lamai Beach)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$65
HotelsClick
US$166
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 February 2008

I booked through spasamui.com
Peak Season, January 2008
I stayed 4 days and checked out.

Many changes in Lamai! *Lamai Beach is an eye sore. Badly polluted and many coconut trees have been cut away! All the prices in Lamai have jumped. Including the Song Tao's and Taxi's.

Spa Beach (aka: The Spa Resort) is right on Lamai Beach. Fasting is optional at this resort. I've never participated in this. This place has always been known as ...just a cool place to stay. However... it has had a major change...

No more rustic bungalows on the beach. In fact the kitchen has been cut in half ...right down the middle. The entire resort has downsized to half of what it was. An upstairs has been built to compensate but it doesn't. (It's very closed in. You cannot see the beach from up top unless you walk over to the window.) No TV in common area anymore. No common area left. No TV in rooms. About 6 or 8 very SLOW Computers. I walked a couple of doors down the road to the left to another small resort to use the Internet. Much faster.

A few new faces, most of the staff have moved on. Loved the new receptionist at the front desk! Much of the choices of things to do are gone. No more Batik. I was deeply saddened by this. Had I of known I would not of gone! No need to stay here unless you are fasting. Nothing fancy or beautiful anymore. .

I did have a tarot card reading here from Cliff. This was 1500 B (OUCH!) but in all fairness I have to say it was an amazing experience. I strongly suggest this. The spa has Cliff's mobile number. Phone and book an appointment with him. You'll be amazed!

I bought the CD of the Spa's Famous Vegetarian Recipes but not all recipes are included. (No raw apple pie or any desert recipes.)

Much of the beach has also changed. Garbage everywhere on both sides of the spa. Many of the palm trees that lined part of the beach have been removed. What a shame! ...Trying to make Lamai a high end beach, building bigger resorts everywhere ...it can never catch up to Chaweng. The water is too dirty.

This is a coral beach. It is rough on the feet. Very shallow (2 feet deep) in front of the spa. From the beach, do not go to the left to swim ~ rocks everywhere in the water. You can walk to the right about 2 miles. Deeper water but that's all.

It would seem most of the energy I liked was in places outside of the spa...

Loved the boutique, Thai Fisherman Pants across the street from the spa. *If you are looking for a quick change of clothes, go no farther! This little boutique has a nice selection. Remember to haggle! I made a good friend here. (The owner is from Chiang Mai, in the North.) I was invited to come back just to talk many times, and I did. Thank-you... I won't forget!

I had a great pedicure on Lamai Beach, about 1 mile to the right of the spa, on the beach) 200 B She doesn't have pictures but she's does a really nice job. She likes to paint flowers. She's good at picking colors.

I went to visit the Dream Catcher (Silver and Leather worker.) A much larger variety to see at his shop than the spa. (He does set up a table of goodies to buy upstairs at the spa... 1 or 2 days a week.. He has a boutique located in the older part of Lamai. Take a motorcycle taxi. Haggle, (they're safe, they ride slow.) Turn left from the front of the spa. Ride straight all the way around the bend. Keep going straight. Look for the Post Office with a flag on it, sitting in a bit from the road. (Ignore the 1st Post Office.) The Dream Catcher is located on the right side between the Post Office and a Seven/Eleven on the left. (The Boutique is opposite the Seven/Eleven.)

The Dream Catcher is well worth the visit! *Bet you can't leave without buying something! If you ever need to have a silver ring re-sized this is the man to do it! islanddreamcatcher.com

Sawatdee Kaa!

3  Thank HotToffee
Reviewed 12 March 2007

The very minute I walked through the entrance into the Spa Beach resort, I got a whiff of the days to come! I became increasingly nauseous with every day of the fast, this was because of the disgusting smell coming from the septic tank, which by the way, is situated under the herbal steam room and why the smell in there is rather pungent. I know the smell inside the herbal steam room is not the smell of Thai herbs because I have also used the herbal steam room at the Spa Village and it's fantastic, no strange (disgusting) smell. To come out of the steam room at the Spa Beach and sit down in the area designated for the drinking of herbal tea is only for the brave or those with no sense of smell. What I found really disturbing was the fact that the sewerage is running into the sea making it an unclean area for swimming, not only for the guests of this resort but also for the local children that live in the area. I discovered a lot of dead fish while walking along this beach!

In general, I found the rooms (bungalows) exceptable, unless you stay in the 'A frame' bungalows which are situated on the sewerage path and tend to be rather stinky. The restaurant food is delicious, it's just a pity that the sewerage smell also tends to drift through the restaurant from time to time.

I had a big problem dealing with the smell. Staff walk around with t-shirts saying '--- happens at the Spa Resort'. Okay, but Spa Resort please clean up your ---- and remember that health and a healthy environment go hand in hand.

My next fast won't be happening at this resort. Koh Samui is a very nice little island, which has more than one detox resort!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MoeRoo
Reviewed 9 March 2007

Beach resort is very noisy because of contruction sites around. the traffic brings a lot of noise and bad air quality. The sea is dirty in front of the resort: it seems their sour is going directly into the sea. At night a loud disco. If you want to sleep: bring earplugs. most guests stay elsewhere and just come along to collect their bags of pills and their detoxshakes and have their colemas. Therefore the atmosfere is very busy and not very personal. the restaurant is great, but service tends to be very slow and inaccurate dus to the fact that most employees speak thai only and very poor english.
Their hillside resort is much more quiet, but the disco will bother you there too at night. You will have to love a steep walk to your room. the fan bugalows are ok. the double bungalows have thin walls and are small, no musquito net available.
Why go there? It is rather cheap and not a heavy or strict form of detox. if you like to travel around the island and do at the same time your detox, meet a lot of younger people, than it is ok.

they offer free meditation, yoga classes 250 TBH, Chi Chung classes 250 TBH, and traditional massage from 350 TBH / hour.

everything you do, you have to pay for seperatly so it is up to you how much you will spend. But at the same time it gave me a feeling of a very commercial surrounding.

Swimmingpool is very small. you will need during the hours of low tide. The smell of the herbal steambath is always around the complex. If you like this smell; no problem then.

Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank Detoxer
Reviewed 25 August 2006

I was robbed of a significant amount of money, that was taken from my room. I am sure that one of the cleaners robbed me, as nobody else had access to the room. When I reported this to the manager, he accused me of losing my mind. He said many people doing the fasting programme claimed to lose things due to loss of memory. I found this very insulting.
I stayed in a Standard room which cost 800baht per night. The room was clean but next to the island's main road so traffic noise is a problem if you are a light sleeper. Friends staying in the 500baht "Rustic" bungalows and those in the 1200 baht "A" frame huts complained about late night music from the bar next door. The techno / dance music went on until 6am one night, so take ear plugs if you want to sleep. On several nights I thought I heard gunshots, but I was assured this was the sound of party crackers on the beach from folk celebrating the Thai Queen's birthday.
The staff speak English quite poorly; some restaurant waiters did not speak a word. One of the receptionists was very rude and shouted at me once as I requested to part of my bill in US dollars, which she earlier had agreed was ok.
The food in the restaurant was excellent, at good prices, but service can be very slow indeed.
The Spa section part of the resort is good. I did a 4 1/2 day fast and detox, after which I felt quite good. I also learnt a lot about healthy eating through the videos and book service they offer. The massage and treatments are relaxing, although staff sometimes have an appalling attitude bordering on damn right rudeness.
I recommend the free meditation classes each morning, and the Chinese tea ceremony with San-bao, who was an absolute star.
The beach is disappointing and quite dirty in places, best to walk further down Lamai beach, or take day trip to much more beautiful Chaweng beach.
In conclusion, the robbery, the late music disturbance and rude staff really did let the Spa resort down in my books. I suggest maybe staying elsewhere but visiting the resort to take advantage of the fasting programme, and the food in the restaurant

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank M_Coxell
Reviewed 5 April 2006

Janie Brown - New Westminster,B.C. Canada
Spa Samui (also known as Spa Beach.)

I stayed at the Spa in Lamai for 3 weeks Jan 3rd/06 to Jan 22/06. After 3 days in Bangkok, I was ready
to begin a new adventure on a tropical Island.

I arrived at the Spa, all went well. It's about a 45 minute ride from the airport. I used the Limo Van at
the Baggage Counter for 150B.

When departing to go back to the airport it's a good idea to ask the hotel to arrange a ride with the Limo Van - 1 to 2 days prior to leaving. (Taxi's can charge 600B)

I was soooo taken by the rustic beauty of this place. The Spa is on the beach in a rustic, tropical setting. I had no idea the food was going to be that good! I recommend the "Raw Apple Pie." One doesn't have to participate in the fasting program to stay there and I was soooo glad after eating the food!

The beach in Lamai isn't the greatest. It looks like little pebbles everywhere and feels like broken coral.
It's hard on the feet. Bring beach shoes. The water is a bit murky but it cools one when it's hot. The water is shallow in front of the Spa but one can walk along the beach about a block to the right or use the pool at the Spa. Don't forget to try the fresh made Spring Rolls that vendors walking along the beach are selling. They're so fresh they are still warm and crispy. They are delicious!

I stayed in a standard, rustic Bungalow #5 with air/con. Standard Bungalow #1,#2,#3 and #4 might be a little better when it rains. When it rained my Bungalow had a large puddle to jump over. This is southern Thailand and everywhere in southern Thailand,
rains periodically all year round. It usually stops within a few hours. Bring an umbrella. It can really downpour. All the Bungalows are close to the beach. There are Deluxe Bungalows around the swimming pool. But I think The Rustic, Standard's are the best deal. 500B a day ($14. in peek season!) It was clean and serviced every
day. It had a safe and a big bed and built in vanity, shower with hot water, toilet that one has to pour water into to flush. One does not put toilet paper in the toilet. (This is the normal - if one wants to have the Thai experience.)

One can drink the water. This place offers fun things to do. I learned how to Batik. Free morning meditation on the beach. On Wednesdays and Saturdays just before noon, a Thai man would arrive and cover a big table at the back of the Spa with beautiful, hand made jewellery and leather accessories for people to buy. I bought a ring and necklace. My ring was too big so he took it home and returned 2 days later with the ring re-sized for an extra 200B.

I had my massages on the beach. (facing the beach - turn right.) The average price for a massage on the beach is 200B. Some are better than others. I liked walking along the beach to a Thai girl who actually had a bed set up on the beach. Watch for the signs. She was set up just past another girl who also had a bed and did hair braiding and massage. My favorite thing to do at the Spa was the Tea Ceremony. It's by donation. Every Wednesday and Saturday 1 P.M. I was fascinated with this and became so intrigued that I now practice the Oolong way at home. Special thanks to San-bao, the Oolong-tea-master for all his wisdom and my dear friend John for telling me about this place!

Lamai is about 25 minutes from Chewang. It's cheaper than Chewang. One can find toiletries across the street from the spa and about a block to the left. It is a half hour walk to downtown Lamai and it is very small with limited selection. However I did find the best incense in Thailand in a store there. (The 3rd store on the left, over the bridge.) To walk downtown Lamai... turn left in front of the spa. Walk along the road to the MacDonald sign. Turn left. Walk over the little bridge. I found the Spa a bit too far from Chewang. None the less I had such an enlightening
experience at the Spa. I'm very glad that I stayed at the Spa. I'll definitely visit the Spa again. It's easy to meet people there. I made lots of new friends that I stay in touch with.

Chewang has everything. A booming night life, one can listen to the blues at Co Co's Blues Bar, huge variety of restaurants, shop til one drops, or go to Starbucks. To taxi from Lamai cost (300B) I suggest taking the pick-up truck taxi's. Their prices are cheap and change from day time to evening. Tell the driver where you want to go before you get in. Ask how much? Prices change from day time to evening.
Ring the buzzer when you want out. I paid 80B and 200B. It still beat the Taxi price.

One can also take a motor cycle taxi to downtown Chewang for 60B - 80B. The motor cycle taxi's are safe to ride in Ko Samui. It's not like Bangkok. I took a tour to snorkel at Ko Nang Yuan... this is a must do! Take 100B for an Island entrance fee. No fins are allowed... kicking can kill the coral.

I hope your experience is as good as mine and I hope this review helps you!

6  Thank Janie Brown