“Good hotel and location”

Weekender Resort & Hotel
Ranked #31 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Shepperton, United Kingdom
“Good hotel and location”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed in the Weekender for 11 nights in a deluxe room that overlooks the beach. Good sized room and well cleaned each day. Hotel staff all very friendly. The hotel is only a short walk from the local bars etc but far enough not to hear any noise. I think the rooms are a bit overpriced to be honest and charging for wi-fi is not good but I like this hotel and would stay again for sure.

Room Tip: Stay as near to the beach as you can afford.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed in the Weekender for 11 nights....online it looks like a really nice place to stay, however I found the reality to be somewhat different...my room was a garden view and while this was ok the noise in the apartment block was very loud..... cleaners in the morning dragging furniture around on the tiles, guests packing up, maintenance sanding the balcony woodwork etc etc and all before 1000hrs...!!!..
The shower was just not cutting the mustard either and trying to get the right temp was a joke...easier just to have a cold one, there was also a strong smell of sewage when the shower was in use. you had to pay for WiFi ...!!
Staff were ok, Pool area was very nice, access to beach was simple but these benefits did not not outweigh the apartment block. the rooms need a makeover.....full stop.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Like the reviewer below we too stayed at the Weekender for 5 nights in September and as this is during the low season the resort was pretty quiet.

The hotel isn't in heart of Lamai Beach. It is a good 20 minutes walk away but the journey is not too bad. You can either walk along the beach or the road running parallel to the beach. It is also a fair bit away from Chaweng (where the main action in Koh Samui takes place) but both Chaweng and the heart of Lami Beach can be reached to in no time by cab or the red pick up trucks that run along the main road frequently (go for the latter, much cheaper!)

For the price my friend and I paid, the room was pretty basic and no-frills but I guess this was to be expected. The only minor gripes we had was that the fan/air conditioning unit in our room wasn't strong enough to cope with the heat we encountered there!

The food they serve in the restaurant/bar area was to my pleasant surprise very tasty, so this comes highly recommended!

The owner, Sak, was really nice too.

All in all a pleasant, cheap and cheerful resort. If you're willing to compromise on the location this is one you should perhaps consider.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SafH H
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Weekender for 5 nights. The resort wasn't fully booked due to the season, so it was very quiet, which wasn't such a bad thing. Facilities were good, but pools could have done with a little more cleaning. Staff were friendly. Day Spa prices were probably a little too expensive for the standard of the resort. Aimee at reception was extremely helpful. The beach front was perfect! Overall we had a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Lillestrom, Norway
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Back here for the third time now. Its been three years since my last visit, and seven years since my first. Checkin was nice and easy. We chose a room in the superior-building closest to the beach on the ground floor. The room is alright, not the greatest and not the worst. The bathroom was fair enough, nothing spectacular. A big problem in 2013 is the availability of power outlets. Usually you bring a phone and mac/pc/tablet or other gadgets that needs to be charged. If you dont want to disconnect the refrigerator, reading lamp or TV, you are stuck with only two. One by the mirror, and one in the bathroom. WiFi is also something you have to buy, but does not work in the room. Going out on the balcony gives you fair reception. There is two or three wall lizards in our room almost at all times. My girlfriend and I dont mind them as they eat small bugs and do us no harm. There are a lot of mosquitoes and other bugs in our room, probably cause we live on the first floor. A bigger problem is however cockroaches. One morning we found a large roach lying on its back, dying in the middle of the room. I put a glass on it and left it on the floor for the housekeeper to remove, so they were aware of it and maybe would like to do something about it. When we returned from the beach, the glass was back on its place, but the roach was only swept behind the door. I cant say for sure that it was the same one, but I bent one of its whiskers in the morning, and they were the exact same size. I have pictures of both of them. The cleaning in the room is not very good.

The largest problem is what I see many comment here, the staff is not very good. Management really needs to sharpen up for this place to work again. When I was here earlier years, the staff was mainly thai. Now they are mainly burmese and not payed enough. There is one receptionist speaking fluent english, but I dont know where she is from, she clearly has problems communicating with the rest of the staff. A good example of the internal lack of communication is when I left my shirts to the housekeeper in the morning for an express press. Very clearly stated. The shirts are supposed to be back the same night. When they were not back, I went to the reception, but they knew nothing. The had no idea of there whereabouts of the shirts or the order. The morning after they knocked on my door with some other mans shirts. I finally recieved my shirts, pressed like a 11 year old boys first attempt, and the plastic bits stiffening the collar missing. They clearly laundered them, cause I was charged for the laundry and express, even if the express wasnt on time and I didnt order laundry... Do not use the laundry service. Extremely bad and over priced. This used to be a nice place, now its below average. The hotels up and down the beach are always full, the beach here is almost empty. There are also litter on the beach and lack of sunbeds.

Room Tip: Go for the second floor and higher to avoid bugs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Lamai Beach hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed 6 nights recently in a poolside room. Room getting on a bit, glad we didn't pay the full card rate of 4100 baht, but location to the pool and beach was spot on. Brekky was the standard fare with about 5 buffet dishes , 2 changing each day. Egg station cooked to order. Fresh fruit, cereals and pastries, Coffee cona style, stewed for several hours..I dont know why hotels still bother with that old system anymore, its putrid. Weekender is well suited for families, , plenty of room for the tots to run about and even a small pool just for them. The main infinity pool is impressive but the lap pool was manky and dirty..we told the staff ( who were hard to find ) several times to turn the filter on but it fell on deaf ears. Special mention to Ahmie on reception , a lovely girl who made our check in an absolute breeze...then carried our bags to our room ( bellboys nowhere to be seen which I found odd given the size of the place ) Whatever they are paying you Ahmie its not enough !
Overall Weekender is a nice place, bit overpriced for a 3+star but does the job. Happy to recommend but check your room first (if you can) before you hand over your dosh.

Room Tip: We had 408 which has a view of the beach
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights as a break from dormitories on my travels. It was just what I had hoped for - modern spacious room with all of the mod-cons; great bath tub; fantastic infinity pool; massage tent overlooking the beach; yummy health drinks; great food; best breakfast spread I had in SE Asia! Kind and helpful staff at reception.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo