“Absolute pure indulgance & luxury and it didn't cost the earth to stay there!”

Rocky's Boutique Resort
Ranked #2 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Brisbane, QLD
“Absolute pure indulgance & luxury and it didn't cost the earth to stay there!”
Reviewed 24 November 2009

We have recently returned from an 8 day family holiday @ Rocky's Boutique Resort, Koh Samui. It was the most amazing place to stay, the staff ( by the way it has a 1-1 ratio of guest - staff ) were just fantastic! they were very attentive to all our needs and just all round extremly friendly, especially our new friend Aek.

We stayed in a Deluxe Thai Villa which can accommodate up to 6 people comfortably and it had everything in it that you would ever possibly need, plus it did not cost the earth, in fact it was cheaper for the 5 of us to stay 8 nights @ Rocky's than 8 nights at the Gold Coast Australia, minus airfares of course.

The resort has 2 swimming pools - one near the beach and beach bar which is a smaller pool and for the kids, plus another one near the 3 Deluxe villas which is much larger and adults only.

The beach bar is great it has a view of the restuarant, the pool and Rocky's own private beach, they also have a free cocktail hour every Friday night. The bar is also open from 7am till late.

The restuarant - what can you say about the restuarant but they make the most fantastic food and whenever you want it! and the seafood we had was so fresh and beautiful, the prawns were the biggest and tastiest that we had ever seen.

The staff in reception make planning your day trips so easy as all you do is tell them what you want to do and when and they make the phone calls to tee it up. You must do the full day tour called Mr Ung's Adventure Tour - you do Elephant trekking, see a few animal shows, you can climb a waterfall, see the Mummified Monk, see the Big Buddha, eat at a restuarant high up in the mountains and go 4 wheel driving up and down a HUGE mountain side, also the guides are an absolute blast.

The resort also offers free Wifi, either on your own personal laptop or Iphone or they have a computer room at reception with 2 computers in an air-conditioned room.

On Sunday nights they do a HUGE seafood buffet and they also have a Caberet show - all done by the Ladyboys of Thailand - they were just fantastic and so hard to tell if some of them were actually men! and on Tuesday nights they have an authentic Thai buffett with traditional Thai dancers and music.

The resort offers a drop off service into Lamai ( the next town ) 3 times a day for its guests. We also hired a car for a few days and found it very easy to drive in Koh Samui, but you do have to be on the ball at all times as the Thais like to overtake you on both sides on their scooters even when you have your indicator on to turn. We drove around the whole entire island in one day - stopping in Na Thon for some shopping plus also in Lamai & Chaweng!

For us the best shopping was in Lamai after 5pm when the market stalls opened - you must remember to barter - you feel rude first off but then you get used to it. It makes it easier if you have a copy of what the Baht is equivelant to your own currency, so you roughly know what you are paying. We bought a lot of wooden products ( we live in Australia ) and we had no problems at all bringing it through customs, it was mainly mango wood and coconut wood - the only thing we had a problem with was a photo album my brother bought, that's spine was made from elephant dung! but mine was fine as its spine was made with coconut husks.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Billingham Teesside
Reviewed 14 November 2009

My partner and i stayed at Rockys for 10 nights and we loved it. The suite was beautifully decorated and the staff were fabulous. Everyone went out of there way to make our stay enjoyable, to the point were one lovely canadian guy went to the seven eleven late one night to get me some tiger balm for my mosquito bite. My partner went back to our room one lunchtime to find the maid had completely pulled the heavy bed away from the wall and was cleaning thoroughly. The food in the restaurant was great, we never had a bad meal and the view each morning at breakfast was amazing. The ice cold menthol towels at midday were a welcome site.The weekly cocktail evening was great way meet the owners and staff who were genuinely interested in what we thought of Rockys and making our stay a happy one. I highly recommend Rockys.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cathpete
Bucharest
Reviewed 11 November 2009

Following a week in Bangkok for a conference, I booked a flight down to Koh Samui on Bangkok Airlines and made a reservation at Rocky's based largely on the Trip Advisor reviews. I was not dissappointed and enjoyed a lovely stay in what was a fantastic facility run by extraordinarily accomodating staff.

My online reservation was handled easily by Ping. The room I had was spotless and tastefully decorated. Despite being across from the pool, it was quiet and peaceful. The small beaches surrounded by large rock outcrops make for great wading and enjoying the sea. I took a kayak out one day and had a wonderful time paddling down to Lamai beach, about a 20 minute paddle. Lamai itself isn't the most appealing town, but I did spend some mornings there as Rocky's does not have a gym (my only complaint) and Lamai offered the closest place for a workout. The restaurant is excellent and the myriad of options on the menu always seem to be available.

What makes this place stand out though is the staff. They were extremely professional while being friendly and maintaining a good sense of humor. In addition to the Thai team, there was a Candadian guy on the scene who seemed to touch base individually with all guests to ensure they had what they needed...unnecessary, but appreciated.

I am married with two small kids (ages 4-6) and would go back to Rocky's as a family. It is more designed for couples, but could certainly make for a nice familiy holiday as well.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank kgoodson3
Karratha, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2009

I started looking for the perfect place to have my wedding 12 months ago and found the Rocky's webpage. I contacted them for some information and within 2 days I was contacted with a lot of helpful information. The Wedding Coordinator, Rio, kept in touch with me regularly and instead of bombarding me with all the options, gave me something new to look at each month - it was easy and stress free which is perfect for someone who has a busy job. I felt like I didn't have to do anything, the wonderful staff at Rocky's made sure everything was perfect from the flowers to my family being looked after and even to no rain and a perfect sunset for our special day. The staff even arranged for all of the girls to go to a wonderful day spa and for all the guys to go on a fishing trip - nothing was ever a problem at Rocky's. The food for our wedding dinner was devine and the photos from the photographer arranged by Rocky's turned out brialliant.

The staff and management were always talking to us and giving us helpful tips of places to go and see and other places to eat. To be honest, we enjoyed to food and service better at Rocky's than the other places we went to. We enjoyed just sitting back and relaxing and trying the cocktails! We will definately go back to Rocky's.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Rocky is a gorgeous hotel. We love boutique hotels and this one was excellent! The room was beautifully decorated. Good food. Good entertainment. Excellent facilities. Good service, friendly staff. Lovely pool, access to the beach within complex, though the stretch is rocky, hence the name of the hotel! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 November 2009

My husband and I got married at the Rocky Resort in February this year. From the beginning the Rocky Resort took care of everything. They kept us up to date on the arrangements, we felt like we were in good hands. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with cold towels and fruit cocktails – with the heat this was really appreciated!

We met with the wedding co-ordinator and a few days before the event we met with the wedding celebrant. On the wedding day, everything went just as we imagined it, if not better. The beach was decorated beautifully and the food and the flowers were amazing! The photographer was very good - we were given a photo album (which was not to our taste) and a CD of all 500 of our photos, which I thought was great value.

I would definitely recommend using the Rocky Resort if you are get ting married – if you are visiting it is a very nice resort to stay at, the staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble.

We stayed in Thailand for our honeymoon too I would highly recommend Koh Pang nang and Phi Phi Island. Both Islands are less commercial than Koh Samui. Stay clear of Phuket, this is full of sleazy bars, MacDonalds and Starbucks.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
northern ireland
Reviewed 24 October 2009

There is nothing I can say about Rocky's that hasn't already been said, to coin a phrase it does exactly what it says on the tin!!. Can not in any way shape or form say anything bad at all. My wife and I stayed for 14 nights and during that time we witnessed (I think) about 5 weddings, however it never impacted on me nor did it impact on my holiday as this is a different type of hotel where it is all about the personal touch. They never made "non wedding" guests feel any different at all.As advised we walked to the nearby local eating house's (5 mins out left & 5 mins out right) which were both good local/cheap/clean and enjoyable. the managment meet & greet you at various time throughout the day/evening and have a chat and give you advice on all types of topics and they never try and sway you to stay and eat/drink at Rocky's in fact they actively encourage you to go out and about. We went twice to the Thai night which was an enjoyable night and the Cocktail evening once and agin it was enjoyable. i have never stayed in a Hotel like Rocky's before- would I stay there agin and reccommend it- damm right I would, my advice go see stay and enjoy.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
SALA Samui Resort And Spa
SALA Samui Resort And Spa
#1 of 10 in Choeng Mon
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,112 reviews

Been to Rocky's Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!