2,231 results
All reviewsgarden poolsun hatsthai nightwedding plannerfruit kebabsour honeymoonkoh samuion the rocksboutique resortfresh flowersbeach frontfire dancersbbq nightthai dancerscocktail partybeach bagthai buffet
Reviewed 11 April 2010

My parner and I stayed at Rocky's for 1 week before we were married in the resort. We were a little nervous to book over the internet but Rio Rose, the wedding coordinator, is excellent. She came to meet with us the moment we arrived to discuss the details of the ceremony and to go through our expectations for the big day. She arranged everything and eased our minds, which allowed us to have a great relaxing week before we walked down the aisle. I cant thank her, and the staff at the resort, enough for their excellent service and orangisation. The ceremony was beautiful.
There were 40 people in our party, some staying at Rocky's and others staying at other resorts on the island. During the day our friends and I didnt want to leave the Rocky Resort and spent most of our week lounging around the pool and pool bar soaking up the sun. It was definitely the best holiday we've had in a long time. Our friends also commented about how great the hotel was.
During our stay my Mum wanted to get a dress made for the wedding and Rio and her team arranged for a tailor to collect us from the hotel and take us to his shop, where we browsed his collection of dresses, chose something and was measured in the one session. The tailor then dropped us back at the hotel. He then came back to the hotel and brought the work in progress dress for the two fittings so my Mum didnt have to go back to the shop. The dress turned out beautifully.
The resort is slightly away from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng and Lamai Beaches but the hotel has daily buses to take people to and from the hotel to the hotspots.
The hotel also has transfers to and from the airport at Baht 600 each way, the taxis will charge you normally Baht 700. The hotels driver can be booked to take you anywhere and can collect you when you're ready. This made it easy for us to head out in the evenings if we wanted.
The food at the restaurant was exceptional. The breakfast was huge. You could have your choice of hot or cold foods. There was also a few chefs cooking all different types of eggs and pancakes to your liking. Also, most nights there was some sort of theme for dinner, including a thai traditional caberet or dance show. It wasn't expensive, about Baht 800 (includes food and show). The food for the wedding was also great.

Overall, you cant beat falling asleep to softly flowing waves out side your door!
We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Our time at Rocky's was amazing, we stayed in the Deluxe Beachfront Suite, it was the highlight of our travels, the resort catered for all kind of tastes as well as keeping with tradition. Cocktails by the pool in the afternoon (Monkey lunch was my fav) tasted excatly like a banana paddle pop! The food in the resturant had great selection and wide variety. Breakfast was included in room rate, car hire and a daily shuttle service into town 3 times a day. If your looking for a tropical holiday, were you can do as much or as little as you like, to sit back and relax, be pampered and completley looked after, then you've found the right resort. Can't wait to plan our next trip we'll defiantly being staying longer next time. It was just amazing!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SydneyMargot
Reviewed 6 April 2010

The resort is just like it looks in the pictures. We had a marvelous time there from marc 03 to 10. Stayed in the beachfront family villa. The only thing not making this a 5 star is that it is a small resort with no hairdresser and things like that. But this is necessary to get the secluded feeling of Paradise. Snorkeling was not an good option on this beach. Recommend you hire the Rocky car with driver for 4 people and get around Koh Samui (wherever you want to go) for 5 hours. Cost 3000 B. Good value for money. Also recommend you split your stay if you are in Koh Samui over a longer period maybe stay in Chaweng, Bophut or something like that with the real beach for some days. But remember, the beaces on Koh Samui is in seasons very shallow all over. If possible stay in Koh Tao (the real paradise) for some days. Not so hot there and crystal clear wather and good snorkeling. Ko Pagnan is also a oppertunity, but never been there.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ToneKristin
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We celebrated our wedding in February 2010 at Rocky's, and we must say - from start to finish - it was truly wonderful! The resort itself is beautiful, private and very relaxed. The staff were excellent - really helpful with all our requests, and with a large group of 40 guests, and lots of different events throughout the week - we still can't believe everything went perfectly. This is mainly due to the excellent organisational skills of Rio Rose, their exceptional wedding co-ordinator, who thinks of every little detail and manages to stay smiling and relaxed throughout all the stress that is surely going on behind the scenes as well! Before the wedding day itself, she helped us organise a gorgeous Beach BBQ Buffet, which I recommend to big groups as it was very impressive! We also had separate Hen and Stag Dos (massages and a Thai Cooking class for the girls, and a Fishing Trip for the boys), and also a big post-wedding lunch - so we pretty much kept her busy all week! Even though we were there right in the midst of peak wedding season, and she had a few other weddings coming up that week, she always made us feel extra special and catered to every request instantly.

The food at Rocky's is amazing, presented beautifully and there was always plenty of it! I have to mention particularly the wedding phuket lobster which we had at the wedding meal, as it was outstanding. The beach was decorated beautifully for the ceremony, and the reception itself was great fun. Indeed, the staff were very accommodating as we danced late into the night!

All in all, we can't think of a better place to have a beach wedding, and thanks again to all the staff for making our special week even more incredible!

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank lil99London
Reviewed 31 March 2010

Firstly the good stuff, it does out way the few bad things about this resort.

Rocky’s is a beautiful resort, attention to detail is impeccable, the rooms are beautifully furnished, the grounds are well maintained and the guest areas are simply stunning. It is a boutique resort, small, friendly and nothing is too much trouble for the wonderful staff, in particular the reception staff and the lovely Canadian restaurant Manager who all made our stay at Rocky’s very enjoyable. My partner has Coeliac disease (no wheat and gluten) the reception staff made everyone aware of his condition and as soon as we walked in to the dining room they knew what he could of could not order from the menu. Nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff and they truly do make you feel very special. Before we left Bangkok I was bitten a few times on my leg by Mosquito’s, when I asked at the reception where the nearest pharmacy was the receptionist immediately called one of the drivers to take me, one of the other reception staff heard my request and within minutes produced many lotions from a store for me to try to save me the trouble of going to the pharmacy late at night, this is the kind, helpful, caring manner the staff have all the time.

On arrival at Rocky’s we were shown to our room, a large Jr Suite with ocean views, a luxurious room set up high in the hills with a fantastic view of the gulf of Thailand. A perfect start to our long awaited 7 night stay in paradise, our first few days in Koh Samui were idyllic, we had a few trips planned and explored the island by boat, car and taxi. (The round the island trip by boat is a must)
We decided to spend the last few days in the resort, chilling, swimming, relaxing
And enjoying the facilities. My partner and I had Thai massages on the beach, I had foot, hand and body treatments and wow talk about pampered to the max. Both of the pools are lovely, the garden pool is set in beautiful gardens and is used as a “quiet pool” to relax in peace and quiet and the other is on the beach, slightly bigger than the garden pool but is normally busier.

Now for the bad stuff…. I had read the reviews on trip advisor before I booked Rocky’s and the few bad reviews are mainly centred around the wedding issues at the resort and the problems the large wedding do create and it does feel like the wedding guests get priority at the expense of other paying guests.

Most of the weddings at Rocky’s are small, private and none intrusive, set on the beach and do not in any way interfere with other guests. We met 2 or 3 couples getting married and the weddings looked beautiful.
If you’re unlucky enough to be staying when the large weddings occur this is completely different and it does spoil your stay. We arrived back at the hotel on the Monday evening after a lovely round the Island trip to find a letter from the Management posted under our door, it stated “we could not eat at the restaurant or use the bar the following evening after 5.30pm due to a wedding party and private function of 100 in house guests” If this was a large hotel with a selection of bars and restaurants it would not cause a problem but Rocky’s has 1 bar, 1 restaurant a reception area and 2 pools, that’s it! To be told you can not use the restaurant and bar is completely unacceptable in my opinion, yes we were offered free wine, a room credit and a taxi to take us elsewhere but does that make excluding guests ok? If Rocky’s want to hold huge weddings they should inform guests when booking so we have a choice, you do not just book a wedding for 100 guests the previous day so why were we not told earlier or when we enquired about booking?

My only other gripe with the resort is the building work going on next door to the hotel, the so called “quiet pool” is not so quiet and the noise of drilling, banging etc could be heard over my ipod on full volume. Yet again no notification before booking the holiday.

Overall, we were happy with the resort but the wedding problems would put me off re-booking the hotel, unless I could be assured this would not happen again. It is a beautiful hotel spoilt by a few silly problems the management could easily fix by just being honest and upfront with guests.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple