“Amazing. The wedding we dreamed of.”

Rocky's Boutique Resort
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 21 April 2010

Myself and 30 others including my now wife stayed at Rocky's recently as me and my wife were getting married at Rocky's. I didn't know what to expect of the wedding as all the organisation was done over email or phone with a charming lady called Rio Rose. To say it went more the perfect is an understatement. It was my wife's and mine dream day! Credit goes to Rio and the staff at Rocky's for that.

As for the hotel it's self, what people must remember is that this hotel is in a little bay which is called Rocky's bay. The name should give it away as to what the sea in front of the hotel is like! As for the size of the beach, yes it is small but this is clearly shown on their website and it is also stated in many brochures too. They have two pools, one of which (the larger of the two) is the quiet pool. It was lovely and most of use sat around this of a day. We were regular offered water, and fresh fruit, all day long. There was staff there to deal with all your needs and as with most Thai's they were smiley friendly people always willing to help. You was always supplied with two beach/pool towels every day which I found amazing.

The smaller pool was a lovely place to chill out and again the service was on tap. The smaller pool had the benefit of being very close to the bar which was serviced regularly again by happy locals who were warm and welcoming. We did have ever have an incident twice of being short changed. I raised this with the staff who didn't really like me arguing with them, so I raised it with the manager who dealt with the matter resolved are short charge and made use aware that Thai people fill very offended if you tell them they are wrong. After this incident it was all forgotten and the staff were back to their normal happy self. This was but a blimp in an otherwise brilliant holiday.

As for the room, we had a Beachfront room. Yes it's not on the beach but you open your door to the fantastic views of the sea and coastline. Amazing. The actual bedroom (306) we lovelly. A large room and bed with a good (not excellent) air con system. As for the bathroom. Wow is all I can say!! It is huge. It is supplied with some fantastic shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion and much more. As for a previous persons comments about mosquitoes, surely you should have used the electric plugging bug killer that is supplied in every room. Also when they turn down your bed (lovely touch) they light some incense in the bathroom as well to kill off the bugs!! As we had other guest with us I also show the different rooms. Some friends stayed in one of the villas and it was magnificent. Their villa led straight down to the large pool.

With regards to the restaurant, if I had one negative about the hotel it is the restaurant and their prices. I was charged 380bht for a burger and handful of chips!! Even the Thai food such as a green curry was around the 250bht mark. Maybe my problem was that I had arrived at Rocky's after being on Koh Lanta for 4 nights which was........slightly cheaper ; ). Drink was fairly priced, slightly higher then outside but this is to be expected.

Moan over. As for the actual food, everything was brilliant really really good. We had meals there a couple of times and one time that was most notable (apart from the wedding meal) was the BBQ night. The food was out of this world.

Finally after our wedding we used the function room which is brilliant, cool, decorated very well. This was where we had the meal/speeches/party and it catered for all our needs and some. We had the room till 1 after that we thought the party would stop. This was not the case as we had some money left on our bar tab which they happily put into a couple of ice boxes and allowed us to drink them by the pool and even allow us to use the pool. Great way to finish of a brilliant day.

Again I can only sing Rocky's praises along with Rio the wedding planner, Noi, Pooh, Boat, Chart and many more of the staff at Rocky's. If you are planning to get married in Thailand I stronger recommend you consider this hotel as I have nothing but really happy memory's not just of the special day but our whole stay

Reviewed 17 April 2010

Before my trip to Rocky's I spent many evenings on Trip Advisor reading the reviews and was very pleased with what people had to say. However, my experience was not as great as those leaving reviews on here.

My Husband and I were really looking forward to our honeymoon which cost us a fortune. At the end of our stay at Rockys we were disappointed and realised that we could have stayed on Koh Samui in a better hotel, in a better location and for a lot less than we paid to stay at Rocky's.

Rockys is a nicely decorated boutique hotel but the decore is all that is good about this place. Here are the issues I had with the place;

1) Beaches - not quite the beach front hotel I was expecting. The private beaches are tiny and despite the website saying it has three beaches, there are really only two directly in the resort. 2 may sound good, however one of those beaches only fits 4 beds maximum and is used for weddings (there were 5 weddings during or stay). The other beach is a little bit bigger but for most of our two week stay the tide was too high for the beach to be used.

2)There are two pools, both are small. There are a number of beach beds around the pool area by the bar but they are closly packed together so there is very little personal space between you and the person next to you. When the resort is busy it is hard to get a bed around this pool as it is the sunnest location out of the two pool areas. However, if like me you are a sun worshipper than this pool area is no good either as to get the sun all day you have to constantly move beds and if it is busy this is not possible. For this reason we did not spend any time during the day in the resort.

3) expensive bar and restaurant - The bar prices are expensive but then they add 7% tax and 10% service charge so what looks like an expenisve drink on the menu becomes a very expensive drink when it comes to paying for it. The same goes for the food. Yes, the restaurant is pretty and the food is good but we had so much better for a fraction of the price in Lamai. The prices are standard in terms of what you would pay in England but we were in Thailand so the restaurant was very over priced.

4) Beach front bungalow - We were very pleased when we were first shown to our room. However, I never got one nights peaceful sleep in my whole time there. Firstly the room was infested with Mosquitoes. I understand that this common in Thailand, but speaking to other tarvellers staying else where they did not have the same problem. The mosquito problem is not helped by the fact that there are large gaps under the windows and large gaps at the top of the doors. Also when the resort staff cleaned the room they never shut the doors so there was always an opportunity for them to get in. My husband and I were bitten alive. We had a mosquitoe net over our bed (we were lucky as not all rooms have them) but this made sleeping very unconfortable as it got very hot under the net and even with it we still got bitten. There were also gekkoes in the bunglow, this did not bother me too much and the resort warned you about this but they are very noisy at night. We also had a mouse in the room which spent most of its time by the bin chewing on it which made a racket. When we complained about the mouse we were moved to the room next door which we really appreciated. However, on our last night we found our bed to be infested with termites. We asked to be moved again, which the hotel arranged. They even compensated us for our last night which we really appreciated but by then I was already disappointed by this hotel.

Location - the Resort is 5 minutes in a taxi from lamai which is basically a long road full of bars and good restaurants. I would recommned the Sala Thai, really good food and the Black Diamond. The beach in Lamai is also very nice and very long. Cheweng is about 10-15 mins in a taxi. This area is much bigger than Lamai, the beach goes on for ever and the sea is a lot caler but it is very busy. We used the local transport which were like pick up trucks with benches inside much cheaper than the yellow taxis, but you must haggle!!

I have never written a review before, probably because all the other holidays I have been on were really good. However, I felt that I needed to put the facts down because the resort did not live up to my expectations after reading the reviews on here. We loved Koh Samui and we will return, just not to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LucieSurrey
Rockys_Resort, owner at Rocky's Boutique Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2010

Dear Lucie,

So sorry to hear about your experiences at Rocky's, and thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We will take your comments to heart and see what we can do to make Rocky's a better place.

On the beaches issue, we are a bit limited due to the natural landscape, and we have started setting up the beach around the corner with sunbeds so there are now more sunbeds available than before. We also have plans to expand our top pool area to allow more sunbeds, and more space to spread out, so hopefully that will make things a bit more private and comfortable. We have also trimmed a lot of the trees at the top pool to allow more sun to come through.

As to your issues with the local wildlife, we are very sorry that you had this experience. It's an ongoing challenge and we have taken several actions to reduce the mosquitos since your visit and have addressed all the other issues you had with your room with our pest control company.

Once again, we do apologize and thank you for sharing your feedback to help us keep working on doing a great job for our future guests.

Kind Regards,
The Rocky's Team

Reviewed 12 April 2010

I stayed at Rocky's for two nights for my wedding. The hotel is beautiful and the attention to detail in the rooms and the service is amazing. I went twice to the hotel before checking in to discuss the wedding, and on both occasions was offered fruit juice and a cold towel when I arrived.

The food was excellent.

The wedding co-ordinator Rio Rose is more than any bride could wish for. Nothing is too much trouble for Rio and her professionalism and friendly personality shone through right from my first email to the very end of the wedding. I would recommend a wedding at Rocky's to anyone. My wedding was perfect.

Reviewed 11 April 2010

My parner and I stayed at Rocky's for 1 week before we were married in the resort. We were a little nervous to book over the internet but Rio Rose, the wedding coordinator, is excellent. She came to meet with us the moment we arrived to discuss the details of the ceremony and to go through our expectations for the big day. She arranged everything and eased our minds, which allowed us to have a great relaxing week before we walked down the aisle. I cant thank her, and the staff at the resort, enough for their excellent service and orangisation. The ceremony was beautiful.
There were 40 people in our party, some staying at Rocky's and others staying at other resorts on the island. During the day our friends and I didnt want to leave the Rocky Resort and spent most of our week lounging around the pool and pool bar soaking up the sun. It was definitely the best holiday we've had in a long time. Our friends also commented about how great the hotel was.
During our stay my Mum wanted to get a dress made for the wedding and Rio and her team arranged for a tailor to collect us from the hotel and take us to his shop, where we browsed his collection of dresses, chose something and was measured in the one session. The tailor then dropped us back at the hotel. He then came back to the hotel and brought the work in progress dress for the two fittings so my Mum didnt have to go back to the shop. The dress turned out beautifully.
The resort is slightly away from the hustle and bustle of Chaweng and Lamai Beaches but the hotel has daily buses to take people to and from the hotel to the hotspots.
The hotel also has transfers to and from the airport at Baht 600 each way, the taxis will charge you normally Baht 700. The hotels driver can be booked to take you anywhere and can collect you when you're ready. This made it easy for us to head out in the evenings if we wanted.
The food at the restaurant was exceptional. The breakfast was huge. You could have your choice of hot or cold foods. There was also a few chefs cooking all different types of eggs and pancakes to your liking. Also, most nights there was some sort of theme for dinner, including a thai traditional caberet or dance show. It wasn't expensive, about Baht 800 (includes food and show). The food for the wedding was also great.

Overall, you cant beat falling asleep to softly flowing waves out side your door!
We will definitely go back!

Reviewed 7 April 2010

Our time at Rocky's was amazing, we stayed in the Deluxe Beachfront Suite, it was the highlight of our travels, the resort catered for all kind of tastes as well as keeping with tradition. Cocktails by the pool in the afternoon (Monkey lunch was my fav) tasted excatly like a banana paddle pop! The food in the resturant had great selection and wide variety. Breakfast was included in room rate, car hire and a daily shuttle service into town 3 times a day. If your looking for a tropical holiday, were you can do as much or as little as you like, to sit back and relax, be pampered and completley looked after, then you've found the right resort. Can't wait to plan our next trip we'll defiantly being staying longer next time. It was just amazing!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SydneyMargot
Reviewed 6 April 2010

The resort is just like it looks in the pictures. We had a marvelous time there from marc 03 to 10. Stayed in the beachfront family villa. The only thing not making this a 5 star is that it is a small resort with no hairdresser and things like that. But this is necessary to get the secluded feeling of Paradise. Snorkeling was not an good option on this beach. Recommend you hire the Rocky car with driver for 4 people and get around Koh Samui (wherever you want to go) for 5 hours. Cost 3000 B. Good value for money. Also recommend you split your stay if you are in Koh Samui over a longer period maybe stay in Chaweng, Bophut or something like that with the real beach for some days. But remember, the beaces on Koh Samui is in seasons very shallow all over. If possible stay in Koh Tao (the real paradise) for some days. Not so hot there and crystal clear wather and good snorkeling. Ko Pagnan is also a oppertunity, but never been there.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ToneKristin
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We celebrated our wedding in February 2010 at Rocky's, and we must say - from start to finish - it was truly wonderful! The resort itself is beautiful, private and very relaxed. The staff were excellent - really helpful with all our requests, and with a large group of 40 guests, and lots of different events throughout the week - we still can't believe everything went perfectly. This is mainly due to the excellent organisational skills of Rio Rose, their exceptional wedding co-ordinator, who thinks of every little detail and manages to stay smiling and relaxed throughout all the stress that is surely going on behind the scenes as well! Before the wedding day itself, she helped us organise a gorgeous Beach BBQ Buffet, which I recommend to big groups as it was very impressive! We also had separate Hen and Stag Dos (massages and a Thai Cooking class for the girls, and a Fishing Trip for the boys), and also a big post-wedding lunch - so we pretty much kept her busy all week! Even though we were there right in the midst of peak wedding season, and she had a few other weddings coming up that week, she always made us feel extra special and catered to every request instantly.

The food at Rocky's is amazing, presented beautifully and there was always plenty of it! I have to mention particularly the wedding phuket lobster which we had at the wedding meal, as it was outstanding. The beach was decorated beautifully for the ceremony, and the reception itself was great fun. Indeed, the staff were very accommodating as we danced late into the night!

All in all, we can't think of a better place to have a beach wedding, and thanks again to all the staff for making our special week even more incredible!

• Stayed: February 2010
Amari Koh Samui
Amari Koh Samui
#10 of 104 in Chaweng
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort

Been to Rocky's Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!