“Clean, Tidy and right on the beach”

Thai House Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Brisbane, Australia
“Clean, Tidy and right on the beach”
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here from 31/12/13-4/1/14. All in all had a great experience. We got upgraded for the first two nights to a Deluxe family as there were no Deluxe rooms available. Then moved rooms two nights later to a Deluxe which we have to say was ALOT better in terms of decor and bathroom. The resort must be slowly undergoing room renovations as the Deluxe family wasnt as good as the Deluxe.
Wifi was pretty good. Staff are really friendly and helpful. Location is excellent being right on the beach, but if you want to head to Chaweng it's a 15 minute drive which isn't necessarily so bad if you want to stay away and have a relaxing holiday. The pool area is lovely and massages are readily available at the resort's outside massage station. They charge only slightly more than other beach massage huts but the ladies are very professional and the hut is alot nicer. Photos on the Website are a good representation of the resort. We didn't get to try the restaurant as we were on a detox program with another resort nearby. Price wise - a little more on the expensive side (it was high season as well) but for the level of service and cleanliness (much like you'd receive at bigger hotels) its OK. Would recommend staying here and If visiting Lamai again in future I would consider staying here.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank natfo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Pros: amazing location on Lamai beach. We saw some of the other beaches on the island, and wouldn't have traded our location on Lamai for any other beach. The staff was very nice. Our villa was spacious. Free breakfast. Great bars and restaurants on the road parallel to the beach.

Cons: Hotel staff's English was lacking, out of all of the hotels we stayed in while in Thailand, their English was by far the weakest (I also realize that we should not expect everyone to speak perfect English, but compared to the other places we stayed... this one was at times a struggle to communicate). Hotel food was mediocre at best. There was something near the pool that smelled like a septic tank... not sure what/where it was coming from but I was glad we didn't spend time near there. Could be true for most of the resorts in the area (I have no idea) but we saw a very large cockroach in our room the last day. I realize this type of stuff happens in certain locations and climates, but it was disappointing considering we spent a good deal of money staying there.

Other notes: points about reserving lounge chairs early is true. It wasn't an issue for us because we were up at 7 almost every morning. But if you go out to the beach (at least while we were there) at 9 or 10 expecting a chair, good luck. However, one morning we did an activity and when we came back around lunch there were no chairs so we put our towels on the sand and a hotel employee came up to us about 5 minutes later and told us he had chairs for us. I have no idea if people vacated the chairs or he put them there but it was very nice of him and nice that we didn't have to spend hardly any time at all in the sand!

Room Tip: Seemed the Villas were the best bet. We had villa J and loved the location.
1 Thank wilson_jenn2
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Booked this hotel 3 months in advance for a week-long stay, mostly based on good reviews on Tripadvisor. Upon arrival, they put us in a room on the 1st fl - very, very small (they crammed 4 beds together - so much about (as advertised) "deluxe family room" (!). A tiny balcony was facing a dirty wall and the bathroom was smelling of sewage. We asked to change rooms and were told that we would have to wait for 3 days before they could put us in one of the rooms facing the garden on the 2nd fl (needless to say, we could have not survived in that first room for one, let alone two nights, with such an terrible smell permeating everything). The only alternative was a 2nd fl room in the same section (facing two water tanks and some service area, including garbage collection/recycling area), but at least that did not smell. We decided to take it since our reservation was non-refundable (otherwise, we would have definitely left for another hotel). Although the bathroom in the second room did not smell, it had other problems. The water in the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor, very often there wasn't enough hot water for 4 people to take showers, the furniture was shabby and dirty (a beige upholstered chair was badly stained, we did not dare sitting on it), we had to "fiddle" with the TV cable to get a good reception/picture, the phone did not work at first, neither did the safe (both were fixed, but the "damage" was already done, as far as we were concerned). Furthermore, the pool is small and gets crowded, beach is narrow and often very dirty (the hotel loungers are worn out, everything just looks sad and tired).... all together, not worth the money we paid. Lesson learned: never book a non-refundable stay. Here are some (albeit very few) positives: breakfast buffet was decent, staff at the restaurant is very pleasant and friendly, and the proximity to the restaurant row in Lamai was a plus. Sadly, the negatives outweigh the positives - we would never go back to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank globetrotter775
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We booked a Deluxe Family Double with breakfast at the Thai House Beach Resort for 5 nights at the beginning of our vacation.

In summary, stay here for the location on the beach. The rooms are ok/average, at best. There was never much hot water in the evenings and the bathroom fixtures were not maintained. Our bathroom faucet never really shut off and the lever to flush the toilet was chipped and barely got the job done. Despite the room, we would probably go back if we got a good deal. We enjoyed Lamai beach as compared to Mai Nam and Bo Phut where we also stayed on this trip.

Pros: great beach location and easy walking distance to the main Lamai shopping/ restaurant street. Very convenient. Hotel lounge chairs right on the beach...but get there early as people claim their spots for the day pretty early. Room was a nice size since we opted for the family room which had a small day bed that we used to dump our stuff. Breakfast was also decent; however the centerpiece was certainly the beach as the restaurant sat right on the beach so you had a wonderful view every morning. Staff was nice and courteous.

Cons: Average rooms in need of maintenance. Be careful of the location as the first room they tried to give us was on the first floor had a view of a wall (no kidding)! Well, to their credit, they moved us to a second floor with garden view - which looked much better after seeing the first room. Not much privacy, though, as the balcony looked upon the hallways to the other rooms so people were constantly walking in view of our balcony. Additionally, scooter rental was a more expensive than outside (which I don't mind); however I would expect some quality control for that extra charge. The scooter we got was a bit worn and had problems starting. Mind you, I understand that these are all subcontracted out; but again, I would expect that they do some basic quality control before accepting on behalf of their customers for the premium that they charge.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
Reviewed 30 December 2013

the hotel is totally perfect to stay when you are on thailand trip
the best hotel in thailand this is what i think
the staff is too frank
the room service is awesome
the food is tasty
and the best thing is location
the best location of hotel you ll ever have in thailand
near to beach
little bit costly hotel
but totally worth it
must must must visit

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
South Pole
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The resort looks exactly as in the photos. The beach is beautiful and cleaned twice daily by the friendly staff. I was never in want for a chair, but get there early in the morning (6-7am) to save one right next to the ocean. The included breakfast buffet is plentiful - my gluten-intolerant partner had all the eggs, bacon and fruit he could eat. The pool is very nice as well and warm in the evenings when the ocean has cooled. The grounds are really impeccable. There are some stray cats and dogs that run around - they're healthy and friendly and it's fun to watch them play.

There are absolutely no mosquitoes on the beach. There are some in the gardens. I got bit only once - ONCE - in my three-day stay, with no bug spray or anything.

Hawkers frequently walk along the beach selling everything from fresh cut fruits and ice cream to pedicures and hair color treatments. They're not irritating, and most will politely leave you be once you refuse their services. I wouldn't recommend getting a pedi or massage from a beach hawker as you've no idea where those tools have been. Reputable places are only a few minutes walk away.

We ate at the Thai Spices restaurant on the resort twice during our three-day stay. The food is slightly higher in price than the restaurants you'll find on the nearby main road (3 mins walk!) but I felt it was far more delicious. At night, they set up tables right on the beach - get there early (around 6pm) if you want one right next to the ocean.

For dirt-cheap thai food (40-50 THB), there are food stalls about a 10-15min walk down the main road.

There is quite literally a thai massage place every ten feet on the main road. You shouldn't have to pay more than 250 THB for an hour of thai massage. The hotel does massages right next to the beach as well, if you're willing to pay more. We made a point of making all our purchases in cash to avoid risks and hassles.

We stayed in a small room on the second floor. It was enough space for two to be comfortable, was quiet, and had a balcony facing away from the resort which was thus private. The furnishings were a bit worn out, but kept clean. The shower had some mold in the grout and could have used a deep scrub with a stiff brush, but any familiarity with the climate here will tell you that a bit of mold is hard to avoid. The "queen" bed was actually made up of two single size mattresses that had been put together in the queen bed frame. It wasn't luxuriously comfortable, but you'll do more than enough napping on the beach anyway. We had fresh rose petals and a beautiful display sculpted from our towels when we arrived. They delivered fresh fruits with our turndown service the next day. They also provide 2 complimentary bottles of drinking water each day.

There was decent wifi in the hotel room and in the lobby - it didn't quite reach the restaurant or the beach, which is a shame.

You'll hardly need transport, as massages, restaurants, spas, and tour agencies are all within walking distance from the resort. If you find you need a taxi, take one from the main road to avoid the hotel markup. There's also a spot to rent mopeds just in front of the hotel.

We had a terrific stay - certainly didn't regret choosing this hotel. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Spring for a villa, if you want a feeling of luxury.
Buena Park, California
Reviewed 16 December 2013

After a trying time at this hotel, I thought it best to post a review. As one who travels often, I never felt the need to post a review, whether the service was terrific or terrible. That's my greatest regret, by doing a disservice to many of the great hotels I've stayed at and also the untold number of tripadvisor guests who would've read them and had another reason to visit. After this latest experience I certainly appreciate all the wonderful members who have taken their time to write a review. The truth is, most people don't take the time to praise a hotel when things are great but are quick to post a negative review. Unfortunately, I've fallen into this category. In terms of the room, I stayed in one of their villas which was fine for my needs. Although smaller than expected, the room looked modern and was fairly clean. I had no issues with the room until I woke up the next morning with several spider bites all over my body. Most disappointing, it wasn't just confined to myself but also my girlfriend. Aside from that, there was a huge puddle of water that I hadn't noticed and slipped and fell in the room. The water was from a leaking air conditioner in the center of the room that was dripping water the whole night while we slept. Fortunately, I didn't injury myself other than a small bruise. That evening, we decided to have dinner at the hotel and when the check was presented they had dynamically converted the check to us dollars as opposed to being charged in Thai baht without my consent. If you travel often, you understand that this is a ploy by businesses in order to make more money by giving you an extremely unfavorable exchange rate as opposed to the standard bank rate you would've received if it was charged in the local currency. After telling the waiter that I wanted the check, in Thai baht I was told it was the same thing and to sign the check. Upon letting him know that he was misinformed, he went back and spoke with his assistant manager who reiterated the same thing. At this point, I began getting upset and told the AM that I wanted the check charged in the local currency and to cancel the previous charge. He told me it could not be done and to pay what was listed. I refused and asked to speak with the manager. I was told the machine was broken and they couldn't cancel it and recharge it in the local currency. He then mentioned that he was the manager in charge and he wouldn't be able to help me. At this point I let him know that I would not sign the check until it was corrected and read him the disclaimer from the credit card receipt that clearly stated "you have the right to be charged in the local currency and by signing you have waived this right". At this point I was told to follow him to the front desk which I did. After he spoke with the front desk supervisor I was told to sign another receipt to charge the bill to the room, however I refused because they hadn't cancelled the previous charge to my credit card. I was told they were not able to tonight but should be able to when I checkout. At this point I knew they were lying as I had seen several people pay with their credit card during this 45 minute ordeal. Aside from that, if I had not been staying at the hotel and had dinner like many other guests at the restaurant, the option provided would be ridiculous since they wouldn't have the ability to charge the guests bill to the room. At this point, I realized it was pointless arguing with people and a business that is adamant about scamming their customers by trying to make money off the dynamic conversion. Based off their logic, if another restaurant customer had a discrepancy with their bill, they would be unable to cancel the original charge until the next day. Of course, this is great for their business as who is going to go back the next day to get this taken care of while on vacation. They understand that most tourists will just chalk it up to a loss and forget about it so this practice continues, uninhibited. My hope is that more people will understand what they're doing and speak up instead of getting ripped off by a company that truly doesn't care about their guests but only the bottom line. Its terrible that this practice will continue at the expense of their guests but hopefully tripadvisor guests won't have to go through this same ordeal.

6 Thank jamesintheoc
Banyan Tree Samui
Banyan Tree Samui
#1 of 50 in Lamai Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,336 reviews

Been to Thai House Beach Resort? Share your experiences!