“Comfortable resort with relaxed atmosphere”

Beach Republic The Residences
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here in late Sept 2011 for 5 days. The rooms are nice and clean and the bed was especially comfortable. The staff is helpful and friendly. The vibe at the beach when we arrived was a bit quiet...not what we expected but I think that had to do with the weather (it was cloudy) because the weekend really picked up. As some people have mentioned its not in the main party area of Samui - you'll need to get a scooter or take a taxi to go out to Chaweng but its so nice to be in a quiet beach! Personally, we loved our vacation there. The only thing I would say is that there isn't much of a friendly atmosphere among the other vacationers... nothing like where you would go in Mexico or Cuba where people really mingle and party together. Its more of a listen to house music on our respective beach beds and drink mojitos kind of place. Also, the Sunday brunch may not be for everyone. There is a dj that plays houseish music but although I'm a fan of that type of music...this was really loud and generally unpleasant. On Sunday, also expect that there will be loads of people from other resorts taking advantage of the buffet. The spa is nice but don't expect the services to be amazing. My facial was more of a face scrub than anything. Overall we had a good time but 5 days is plenty!

Room Tip: As for a second or third floor for more privacy on your balcony. So worth it!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 September 2011

I spent the first 2 days looking to find a real fault with beach republic, but ultimately, I have to give it 5 stars. Sure, there were some annoyances (see below), but any major issue was fixed by the hotel.

My wife and I are late twenties Americans and some-what regular international travelers. We stayed 5 nights (august 12-17) and paid $85 per night for a club suite via jetsetter.com. The club suite is absolutely gorgeous and spacious with a nice balcony, but the view from the balcony is of the alley and power lines. Search YouTube for "the beach republic hotel club suite samui thaialnd" for video. We were in room 216 which was in the middle building. We were initially taken to room 311, but we rejected it because it smelled musty. However, after more Thailand travel, every room smells somewhat musty sometimes. Our new room (216) had zero musty smell when we entered, although later there was a hint if we left the AC off too long, but never too bad.

Complaints from prior reviews:
Kareoke Club - heard about a karaoke club playing loud music. We never heard the karaoke club ever.

The staff's poor English - we found their english to be good for Thailand, although customizing a pizza or a drink is very risky...they generally won't understand.

Food prices: We did find the prices pretty high, even for a hotel. But, they also serve the best non-Thai food. If you want cheaper food, there is a restaurant literally next door (starbay) It's food is 33% of the price but the food is hit and miss (there spaghetti taste like BBQ sauce, we found their massaman curry and fried banana dessert to be excellent). There are also many cheap and tasty restaurants down the beach toward lamai.

Vodka, beer and sunscreen acquisition: walk down the beach towards lamai. At the marina, there are two concrete ramps towards the road. This path leads to a westernish mall (very nice) with a burger joint, coffee shop, and grocery store.

Sunday session/brunch: we paid for this, but it was not worth it. First, there was NO king crab as advertised and the lobster they advertised is served in shooter glasses by the half ounce. The rest of the spread is good, but 1400 baht buys alotta food in Thailand and I certainly can't eat that much worth of food in 4 hours. The kitchen won't serve you anything beside the buffet though, so if you want to eat at BR, you must buy the brunch on Sunday. The dj was lame, same guy as the day before actually. He just played a playlist and took a few requests. There was no " party atmosphere" at all, none of the days we were there actually.

Negatives:
One night, our lights in our room went crazy due to the fancy lighting system's relay malfunction. An "engineer" came and then more people came, but the hotel was full so we slept in our sleep masks while the lights came on and off like a disco club. The next day we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment, which for 2 people is more of a pain to move than an upgrade, because the 2 bedroom apartment is too much space for us. We did appreciate that there was a big soaking tub and a tiny ocean view though. For video of the 2 bedroom apartment, room 223, search YouTube for "The Beach Republic Hotel Samui Thailand Two Bedroom Apartment .". Unless you need the extra space, it is not worth the upgrade IMO. I didn't really count this problem against the hotel because it was not there fault (it was the fault of the fancy lighting controller) and they did do something about it (upgrade) and I only lost two hours of sleep because of it.

Beach: the beach is beautiful and the sand is good enough, but you don't want to swim here because the beach is 1 meter deep for 300 meters out, which makes it warm and dirty and there are rocks everywhere. If you want to swim in the ocean, you'll have to walk down the beach to lamai.

4  Thank OP N
Reviewed 14 September 2011

If you are looking for something different to a standard hotel, but clean, modern, spacious rooms; friendly staff; good food and overall, good value for money are still a necessity - then Beach Republic is a great option.

It is off the beaten track somewhat, i.e., you will need to rent a car or bike, but then everything is just minutes away.

The restaurant is very good, although as per the other reviewers, it is pricey for Samui, and although they claim/have responded to multiple reviewers that putting 10% service charge on the food bills is the norm, it is not the norm in Asia, and staff certainly do put in the effort, so people should feel free to tip accordingly.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Modern 1 Bedroom Pool Villa - it was big enough to have our grown up 16 year old so...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Flatts
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Beach Republic is the best place to stay on Koh Samui. I stayed here for six nights with my boyfriend before exploring the rest of Thailand. From the moment we got in the car we experienced five star service, chilled out music and he driver gave us cold towels and cool water, which was excellent in the intense heat.

On arriving in the one bed roomed villa we were impressed with how modern and clean it was. There was nice decoration and lovely granite benches in the kitchen area. The balcony was huge as was the whole room. The bed was massive and very comfy. One particular touch that we loved was the fact that around 7pm housekeeping would come to our room with a different baked treat and a manifesto which gave you weather forecasts for the next day and tips of things to do around the island.

The restaurant at the beach club was fantastic. The Thai buffet night, for a very reasonable 600 bahts per person, was outstanding. This place clearly has very experienced chefs. At lunch we would have pasta or pizza which was equally as good. The Sunday brunch was AMAZING! There was a satay station, lots of thai food, and pretty much anything you could want; there was even a traditional Sunday roast which was brilliant!

The service in the beach club and restaurant was very good, the staff we very friendly and even reserved the beds around the pool for you without having to be asked. The staff in the whole place were so friendly and gave great advice, especially Rob from the real estate office.

The pool area was excellent with two large pools and more than enough beds and loungers; although the beds can sometimes be shaded lightly by the palm trees! The beach was down the steps and as Beach Republic is situated in a bay the views are beautiful. To the right of the pool area on the beach there is a little hut where I had a few massages and they were the best I have ever had! The beach club is basically a cheaper, friendlier and cooler version of Nikki Beach.

I would one hundred per cent come back here, it was one of the best places I have stayed, and I would not stay anywhere else on Koh Samui!

1  Thank Annie J
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The overall is good. The location is nice and the rooms are really nice. Receptionists are kind, halpful and patient.
Anyway there are some points against:
1. House music (quite loud) all day long, every day
3. Sunday brunch is good but crazy expensive considering you are in Thailand!
4. Food at dinner is not that good and they charge you too much, no matter whether you are a guest or not.
5. Water is not that clear. There is an offshore discharge right by the stairs connecting the resort to the beach and the resort lies on a shoal.
6. Despites the resort is pretty clean, we had a bad experience with the housekeeping. When we arrived the sheets were clean but mattress was stained with blood (visible in transparency). It was quite late, so we just covered the part and went to bed. The morning after I removed the sheets so that the staines were visible. Again, they just changed the sheets. So I called the receptionist, which was really patient and helpful and finally we got this sorted. Anyway since it is a quite expensive resort, they should spend much more time training their housekeepers!

3  Thank LaCez
BeachRepublicGM, General Manager at Beach Republic The Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

Thank you for choosing Beach Republic and thank you for taking the time to leave your comments here. I am pleased that you felt that overall your experience was good, that the location and rooms were really nice, and that Reception was kind, helpful, and patient.

The issue with housekeeping is of course unacceptable. This was discussed here in a meeting yesterday and I can assure you that a similar incident will not take place again.

The feedback on the music in the Beach Club is overwhelmingly positive. The vast majority of our guests love the chilled atmosphere that is set by the easy grooves that play in the background.

As Samui locals will attest, the ocean here is constantly changing. There are days when it displays stunning hues of translucent turquoise and others when storms move in and it elicits shades of deep blues, blacks, and grays. The picture you posted was at extremely low tide. At higher tides, the ocean again transforms itself as can be seen in the many photos on our website. Many guests enjoy wading out into the sea directly in front of the resort. For those who prefer an invigorating swim, deeper water is just a 10 minute stroll down the beach.

Since man made structures have interrupted the natural flow of the water on the land towards the sea, the “offshore discharge” that you describe simply allows surface water to make its way to the sea, thus preventing flooding.

The Sunday Sessions Brunch is consistently rated the island’s best. It is one of the reasons that Beach Republic was recently featured on the New York Time’s exclusive list of Places to Go in 2011. And it’s the reason that CNN will be featuring Beach Republic in the coming months.

Our many repeat guests love the huge selection of local and imported fare and feel that it is incredible value for money. A sample of what is on offer includes Roast Wagyu beef, Roast lamb, Roast turkey, Sea Bass, Foie Gras station, Fine De Claire oysters, Maine Lobster, Alaskan King Crab, Thai selections, salad bar, sushi, cold meats, egg & omelette station, international cheese board, Crêpe Suzette, and much more - all in a stunning ocean-front setting.

In addition to the Sunday Brunch, our All Day Dining menu offers fantastic value. One of my favorites is the thin crust pizza made in a wood-fired oven imported directly from Italy. My usual indulgence is goat’s cheese, artichoke heart, sun dried tomato, and black olives – all for under 8 pounds!

Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review here and we look forward to welcoming you back to Beach Republic soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

I have been to Koh Samui several times before and i think Beach republic sets the standard when it comes to chic, modern and stylish hotel experience on the island. Me and my girlfriend had the pleasure of staying her in June. Stayed in a deluxe suite which is huge compared to a normal hotel room. The size is more like an apartment and it is well equiped with kitchen, coffee machine, 2 flat screens (one in bedroom), rain shower and a jacuzzi on the balcony. The residences are brand new, and housekeping makes sure everything is super clean, which i do not experience everywhere in Asia, even in 5-star hotels. One of the nice things about the deluxe rooms are the large balcony with partially roofing. The size does that you have 2 sunbeds along with standard balcony furniture.
From your room it is a short walk to the beach club, which they have recently been making bigger. Nice design and a beautiful view over Lamai bay makes this the place to spend the day and afternoons while sipping mojitos. The staff is extremely service minded and attentive. The difference from other high end places is that it seems like it is almost just younger people that are working at the Beach Republic. I guess this is a part of their St Tropez inspirated theme. But i would say that this place will suit both young trendy people and also families with children who do like a chic enviroment.
We also had the pleasure to stay here during the sunday brunch. Amazing selection of food and a great Dj who managed to play music that was perfectly according to the setting. Something between chill and party.
If there are some improvement that can be done it t would be the beach that is really shallow when low tide. It is also rocky, and I do suggest that they could clean part of the beach for rocks and small corals. Maybe put on some extra sand. Anyway, the bay which it is situated in is one of the most beautiful on Samui.
Also, when you walk to the beach club you'll have to pass their parking lot. I do think they could make this a lot more nicer and try to hide it away, as you will not expect to see a bunch of cars in the middle of your relaxing holiday.
We truly loved are stay here and are already planning to go back this winter! We recommend this place to everyone who loves a modern and trendy enviroment to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I have mixed feelings about this place. So I'll take you through my stay here.

Pick up from the airport:

We got pick up in a new Toyota 4x4, as soon as we got in the car the driver offered us a cold towel and some water which was a really nice touch.

First impression on driving in:

The drive way and surrounding area is a little messy but the main hotel building looked good. Once we got to reception we were greeted with a cocktail, again a nice touch. Than the receptionist took us to our room, which looked amazing (We stayed in the penthouse 1 bed apartment) and just as good as the photos on the website. The only down point of this was that we weren't shown around the resort or shown how to use some of the features in our room.

Bar,pool side and beach:

This is a great area where you can really kick back and relax in. They play chilled out music throughout the day which is cool and on the weekends they bring DJ's in. All in all this makes for a great atmosphere. Service wise here you can't knock them down at all, a cpl of the guys 'Rain' and a smaller guy who's always smiling are really on the ball to whatever needs you have.

The beach is lovely, although you can't really swim in it due to it being rather shallow and rocky but still nice. From the hotel you can walk both ways where you can find a few beach side restaurants.

The restaurant:

The food here is probably the best we tasted on the island. Price wise yeah it's a little high for Thailand but you get what you pay for although some items are over priced. The only bit which take the pi** is that they add a 10% service charge to your bill. Personally if I want to tip I will but I don't like when places do this. They then add on a 7% government tax here which only seems to be in the nicer places in Koh Samui. Not sure why they add the 7% on once the 10% service charge as been added tho seems strange not to take the 7% from the actual bill and not from the bill and service charge total. Maybe this is to make a little extra?!?

Service level:

As I've already stated the service at the pool is fantastic. This also goes for the cleaners. Just a shame the receptionists haven't taken this on board.

Firstly prior to our visit we emailed to see if we could change from the 1 bed penthouse room to the 1 bed villa purely as we thought we could sun bath there as you can't in the penthouse room as it's covered. I was pretty amazed when they came back to us saying we couldn't do this as they were fully booked but yet you could still book a 1 bed villa online. Oh well we thought as the penthouse is very nice.

The second bad point came when I wanted to rent a car. Having read previous reports on here I knew I could get a small jeep for around 550 bht per day. Yet the hotel offers the same car at 1000 bht per day which they won't move price wise on, fair enough. Though when I asked if they knew of another place I could rent a car apparently they didn't know a single place! Pretty unbelievable - The receptionist who dealt with this is a guy who as a rather low pitched voice so I warn guests to not believe what this man says....you'll know him when you hear is voice.

The third point of call is that if you ask them to order you a taxi they'll say it will cost 200 bht to Lamai or 400 bht to Chaweng when if you walk to the end of the drive you'll get this for anywhere between 25% - 50% less.

My final moan comes when we went to order a drop off for the airport. As we were leaving at 4pm and check out is 12pm we asked if we could use our room till then or another room so we could get ready for our 19hr trip home. Once again the receptionist LIED and said they were fully booked and we could use the spa to get ready in. Again I know this is a lie as I checked online.

I can't write about the check out as I'm still here, though I'm sure the receptionists will be as helpful as ever!

Overall this place isn't quite there. Location is ok but you either need to hire a bike,car or get a taxi to get anywhere. We've had an amazing time in Koh Samui and the hotel has played it's part in that I just hope they will continue to develop to improve esp it's reception staff. I wouldn't stay here again personally but I also wouldn't turn my friends away from it.

2  Thank NJGrover
BeachRepublicGM, General Manager at Beach Republic The Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments and feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed the private airport pick up service and that you felt the room looked amazing. I am also thrilled that you found the Ocean Club a great place to kick back and relax with a great atmosphere. Your compliments regarding the fantastic service and the high quality of the food is also much appreciated and have been shared with the relevant staff members.

In regards to the 10% service charge, which goes directly to the waiters and waitresses, this is standard at the more up-market restaurant and hotels across Thailand and allows us to attract and retain top quality staff. In regards to the VAT that is charged, Thai law actually dictates that the 7% tax is applied after any service charge has been added. While I understand your point, Beach Republic does not benefit in any way here.

As far as moving from the Penthouse to the Villa, we actually had a phone booking come in that day for the Villa and the website was not updated to reflect this booking until later that day. I apologize for this inconvenience and we have implemented steps to ensure that the website is updated in as close to real time as possible. I am of course happy that in the end you were very happy with the Penthouse.

Since the resort is quite spread out, Reception does not usually give a walking tour at check-in. This is of course available and they have been reminded to offer this as an option during check in.

The Jeeps that are extremely low priced usually have very questionable insurance. We have elected not to refer guests to these companies. Reception is of course able to suggest a number of different reputable rental car companies, but you were interested in a rate of only 550 Baht a day for one day and this is simply not available anywhere on Samui to our knowledge apart from long term rentals.

There have been some incidents on the island in the past and so for the safety of our guests, it is the resort policy to only work with taxis that we know and trust. Their prices may sometimes be slightly higher than those that can be obtained by flagging down a car on the street, but we feel this is the responsible decision.

Late check out is always offered when we have availability – many times at no charge at all. On this point there must be a miscommunication. At the time that you wrote this review you had not yet checked out. At check-in Reception had advised that in the case that we were fully booked, you were welcome to use the spa to get ready. As it turns out, we were not fully booked and we were happy to be able to let you check out at nearly 4pm for your flight at 5.20pm.

The resort’s location tucked away at the North end of Lamai Beach is actually one of the reasons that our return guests keep coming back. They love the fact that they have easy access to Lamai and are just 20 minutes from Chaweng, yet are abe to completely avoid the noise, traffic, and general chaos that is unfortunately now all too common in those areas.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and we do hope to welcome you to Beach Republic again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
#2 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to Beach Republic The Residences? Share your experiences!