“Surprisingly Good”

Beach Republic The Residences
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed at the Beach Republic for 6 nights with my wife in a pool villa. Our daughter, son in law & 3 grand kids also stayed and had a 2 bedroom suite. We were a little apprehensive about how the little ones would go with the dj and music pumping out, but all was good.
The staff were excellent and all were helpful. From the front desk helping with transport around Samui and giving the kids some Thai language lessons to the pool side staff and the housekeeping we couldn't have asked for more.
Breakfast was great with plenty of options and very fresh. Croissants made fresh each morning and served still warm & crisp were a great touch. Only annoying thing was paying extra for a cappuccino with breakfast.
Other food was also great with the pizza oven particularly popular.
For the children (all under 6) the staff were great and fussed over them. There are 2 pools plus a wading pool for the little ones. There is no kids club but there are some water toys to play with. While there is no child specific menu, we did find enough from the menu to keep them happy during the day.the kids also had room service at night a couple of times which worked well.
Our pool villa had some broken tiles with sharp edges that were dangerous to little feet. We were very happy with the pool villa other than the tile issue.
This was our 5th visit to Samui & our first here and this was the best Pool villa layout we have had. Room sizes are generous and all air conditioned. The pool villa has 2 outdoor showers with a bath inside with only a hand held shower inside. Water pressure can be an issue, but this is typical of Samui.
Overall we had a very relaxing stay that we all thoroughly enjoyed.

Room Tip: Pool villa is a good choice
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I've traveled all over and I can honestly say this was one of the best stays I have ever had anywhere. Every little detail is so well done from the rooms to the food to the pool. It was difficult to even go out and explore Koh Samui as they have an amazing DJ who plays from 1pm-6pm. Day after day we sat by the pool listening to great music and being taken care of by an extremely attentive staff.

The food definitely needs to be mentioned again. This will sound crazy but their Caesar salad is the best I have ever had. I ordered it 4 times in three days. I also suggest trying the blue crab ravioli and the Mediterranean couscous. We also had a few thai dishes which were just as good. If you are thinking of visiting Koh Samui I definitely suggest staying here or at the very least coming for a day at the pool and food!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank shanns22
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Well.. After staying at Beach Republic I must say its definitely a personal favourite in Lamai. We only stayed for 2 nights, but it was one of the better places we stayed on our trip to Thailand. The service was great. The rooms where very comfortable, large rooms with extremely comfortable large king sized beds - ours even had its own kitchenette - stocked with everything we needed and more.. Both the food and drinks where of a high standard and weren't too expensive. The front desk helped us with Scooter Rental at a very reasonable price and had it ready for us within an hour of our enquiry. They also helped us with directions around the island. The rest of the staff around the restaurant and bar where pollute and friendly and always ready to help with whatever we needed. The pools x 2 where lovely and clean - and salt water! (the best kind) And the DJ playing at the poolside was really cool. Had some great tunes which kept the vibe bumping and everyone in great spirits. We really loved our stay here - and intend to return and book a villa on our next stay. 5 stars - 'Beach Republic' - thank you for such a wonderful time..

Room Tip: The standard rooms are great.. You can hire a scooter and park it safely downstairs in the garage ea...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I have to start by saying at first I wasn't too sure about this resort to stay at given the wide range of accommodations in Koh Samui after reading the varying reviews on Trip Advisor. But I was so glad to stay here! The staff are all amazing, especially Cristina who made our stay most memorable. The staff are very friendly and approachable, There are so many great staff whose names I'd like to mention but there's not enough space.

Rooms are rated as 4 star on many sites, I'd personally rate them as 4.5 star. The kitchenette makes a handy addition to the generous room sizes. Bathrooms and amenities are 5 star, beds are great but a bit soft for my personal preference.

The atmosphere and ambience makes this a great place to stay. One of my worries was that this place would be targeted at drinkers and party goers in their 20's, but this is not the case. There were a wide range of groups including some families with young children and grandparents all enjoying the resort during our stay.

The music is absolutely sublime. Dj Dan has a great talent, and his music is not loud and rowdy - it is perfect for the sunsets.

As non-drinkers my group enjoyed the food and cooking class too. The spa was exceptional by Thailand standards which are usually very high in upper end resorts - professional spa therapists who knew their job well, far better than the amateurs found in beach huts. Breakfast was not huge, but was still larger than most western upper end hotels I've stayed at.

The location and shuttle bus make this the perfect place to stay. We did go to Chaweng once, but regretted the rowdiness. Lamai was lovely and fitted our needs well.

The staff here go above and beyond, always with a smile on their face.

Room Tip: The upper level rooms have ocean views, villas may be good value for groups. Worth asking for a quie...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed for 8 nights in a one bedroom modern pool villa. The villa was spacious with a good size pool and sitting area and a very comfortable bed. The only suggestion I would make regarding the Villa would be updating the blinds to block-out curtains, we were woken by the sun most mornings. We had days lazing by our pool, listening to tunes and drinking cocktails.

The highlight of this resort is most definately the staff. From the gardner who greeted us with a bow and huge smile each morning to the wait staff, Apple, Terry, Tuan and the very impressive Claire the restuarant manager. Claire you made our trip most enjoyable and our demands were always met with a smile. I also watched the way you treated the staff, with grace and politness and this made an impression on us. You understand service and people.

This resort is a true four star resort with a few added extras. We loved Dj Dan's house tracks during the day, he was also a great guy eager to please and have a chat with his crowd.

New Years was superb. A great buffet spread, fire dancers and an exceptional display of fireworks from the resort and around the Island.

We loved the location of the resort, on previous stays we have stayed in Chaweng but its really getting very busy and crazy there. We had everything we needed at the resort, we especially enjoyed the tapas menu for grazing throughout the day. We also had some great dinners in the restuarant.

A great stay. Thanks again to all the wonderful staff.

Terrie and Mark - Melbourne

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tez99
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I was a bit skeptical before arriving because all the reviews were so incredibly positive, so our expectations were quite large. And now we've just arrived home after our 14 days stay over Christmas at The Beach Republic – and what a great stay!
All the staff members are incredible nice, polite and helpful no matter what you ask for, you really feel they are there for you - with a huge smile.
The rooms we stayed in, Club suite (we had 4 rooms in total for the family, age 17-74) was spacious, modern, clean, bright and well equipped and with a nice balcony that was big enough to seat at least 6 people.
The bed was the best hotel bed I have slept in ever. There were quilts, not blankets, and they even had a special pillow menu so you can choose a pillow that fits especially for you. Every night the turndown service delivered "Todays Manifest" and a treat to the room – brilliant idea!
From the room we went on a little walkway down to the restaurant, pool and beach area - all clean and beautifully kept.
The location was perfect to us. After our last visit to Koh Samui, we were very sure that we didn't want the noise in the center of Chaweng and Lamai. So we chose The Beach Republic because of the location, a bit out side, but still easy accessible by a 10 min walk (Lamai), free shuttle, taxi or by songtaew.
It feels like The Beach Republic has its own little beach. The beach is not as shallow as Chaweng and central Lamai, and the waves are not as powerful, so it's possible to swim there. I do not understand they who complain about the beach, I think it is nicer than central Chaweng and Lamai! The pool area (two pools) is also very nice and surrounded by various sun beds. From the sun bed you can press a button and then comes the pool staff serving you drinks, food, towels etc. And through out the day the DJ played relaxed music while we dozing in the sun.
They also have an excellent restaurant serving delicious breakfast (loved the breakfast that had plenty to choose from, you must be quite spoilt if you have complaint about that!), lunch, dinner or a snack. They serve all from traditional Thai to international and all with great sucsess.
I think my daughter ate chocolate fondant every day for 2 weeks .... And Sunday Brunch is a must! Even if you are not staying at the hotel, take a trip to try it - remember to book a table in advance.
And not to forget the Christmas Day Traditional Dinner Carvery – excellent food, drinks and nice music from the DJ and the saxophone player.
If I have to come up with anything negative about the The Beach Republic , i think it must be that the gym/fitness room that could do with an upgrade. But for me, the whole stay was a great pleasure and I can recommend anyone to stay at The Beach Republic.
Thank you for making our holiday such a great experience – keep up the good work!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

You can stop looking now! You have found the perfect place for relaxation/ great food/ amazing cocktials/ wicked music and the most perfect group of friendly and helpful staff you will ever find at a breath taking cosy resort that is Beach Republic!

My husband and I (eek!) just got married at Beach Republic a few months ago and we cannot fault it. We have tried and tried to find even one small thing and it is impossible. Firstly, how can you fault Samui? Beach Republic is a hidden gem, whizzing past in a tuk tuk you would never know of the magic that lies down the driveway. This is the first great thing about its location, it is quiet and the beach is pretty private! As you enter up the long paved driveway you come across the reception room where you are taken care of like royalty and greeted by the most polite and friendly staff, like you are a long lost friend. Everything from here on in is so easy and relaxed it is a joy to stay here.

We decided to stay in the middle of Chaweng prior to our wedding at Beach Republic in north Lamai, which was a great idea to get all of the partying and madness out of the way because when we arrived the day before our wedding all our friends and family could say was "whoa this place is awesome"! The Presidential Villa which housed our wedding party was mind blowing, so cool that we could have a giant villa with its own outdoor but covered kitchen, outdoor lounge area, massive pool and beach cabanas to top it off! We could all hang out here together and laugh and drink in the pool without worrying about bothering other guests in the main pool area.

As we had 32 guests staying with us we managed to fill up a few of the 2bedroom and 1 bedroom pool villas and also spilled out into the gorgeous club suites too! The accomodation is probably the best I have ever stayed in while visiting Thailand. It has a unique contemporary and thai feel and the beds are the most comfortable beds Ive ever slept in (especially in the skyvilla penthouse).

As part of our particular package my husband and I were lucky enough to stay in the Skyvilla Penthouse 2 bedroom pool villa on our wedding night which is where myself and my bridesmaids and mum got ready the day of the wedding. It is HUGE and airconditioned so I definitely recommend it for any brides getting married here or even two couples holidaying together. As we extended our stay by an extra day we even got to test out the Club Suite ourselves and these were so lush. When looking at the room options a pool villa is 100% worth it but for those on a budget the Club Suite is the most fanciest studio room Ive stayed in. You will not miss out on any of the niceties in these awesome self catered rooms. The kitchens are bigger than my one at home!

Our parents wanted to throw an impromptu cocktail party the night we arrived (the night before the wedding) and Julie, Claire and the team were more than happy to accomodate us and even organised wrist bands for our guests so they could just go and order drinks whenever they wanted. The bar staff were SO attentive though, we couldn't even get off the cabanas and couches fast enough to get up to the bar!

The morning of the wedding we decided to wait to see each other at the ceremony. I had thought we might bump into one another as the resort is quite intimate but because the rooms are away from the main resort area and quiet we managed to stay hidden without feeling trapped all day. The big skyvilla was more than enough room to hide away in and get ready.

All of the villas come with ipads, you just ask at reception for one and each villa has ipod speakers so it is a must to bring along your ipod so you can chuck on some music while getting ready or relaxing. Julie, the amazing wedding planner, went above and beyond and made the whole process so stupidly easy! When we arrived on Samui we met up for a chat a few days before and we quickly ran through everything. Julie made it all so easy there wasnt really much at all to do when we went to visit but it was nice to see where it would all happen and try and picture us there in our wedding best with all of our guests.

We had requested a 'no seated dinner' and really wanted a relaxed comfy vibe under the stars on bean bags and cushions so it was nice to talk about how it would all be set up and make sure it would work the way I had imagined it in my head. Boy did Julie and her staff deliver! (See photos).

Nothing is too hard for Julie and the BR team, she whisked away our dresses and had them steamed before we even really noticed and even though she told me later she had been so busy and running around I had no idea about it and was so calm on the day. She is superwoman in ever sense of the word and even loves a good chat and a laugh too which was so nice.

When the time came closer and closer the hotel phone rings and Julie is on the other end letting me know its 'Go time'. I had a bundle of good butterflies in my tummy and off we went down the gorgeous green lined path with the most beautiful tropical plants and stopped for a quick photo with Johnny the amazing photog then straight down to the beach which was made up so beautifully.

We opted for the 4 poster bamboo canopy with white draping fabric and bamboo flower poles and some scattered petals to make up the aisle. It was BREATHTAKING. Walking down the steps and onto the sand holding my dads hand with all of our family and friends beaming with happiness while the ocean lapped at the shore was the most amazing moment. Johnny (number two) was a fantastic celebrant and even put up with our slightly drunk selves the evening before when we did a quick run though... and this mans Scottish accent is to die for. He is a lovely man and such a great celebrant it was a pleasure to be married by him.

As we had asked our guests to fly from all corners of the world for our wedding, we decided to throw in a few surprises on the day for everyone as a sort of thank you and to make it a really worthwhile and fun occassion for everyone, not just the two of us. I requested we have big slices of watermelon with our initials carved out of each piece to be served right after the ceremony along with ice cold non alcoholic cocktail slushies as we had anticipated (and were proven right) that it would be very hot even getting married at 4.30pm. This was then followed by a gorgeous elephant wandering up the beach surprising everyone. The looks on our guests faces was priceless and one we will never forget. We opted for no costume or chair but simply had it wander up the shoreline in its birthday suit (we fell in love with elephants after experiencing a swim with them the night we got engaged on Koh Lanta Island 2 years ago, so it was important for us to share that special experience with our friends and family). Johnny the photog was great and let us do whatever we wanted for the photos which was great as my family are a bunch of silly fools and we like to reflect that in our photos! Tip** Do have a small list written out so you can call on people, just so you don't have to run around trying to get the selected people you want in your 'family' photos... we didn't do this but it could have helped. We only had 30 ppl so it wasn't like it was too hard but again it's thailand, you are on a beach its all super relaxed so it didn't really matter! All of our photos from Johnny are amazing and the colours are incredible.

After our photos and elephant fun we all went up to the big bean bags and massive cushions and lazed about chatting and drinking delicious cocktails from our personalised drinks menu. Their resident DJ looked after the music for us during and after the ceremony and my brother then took over who is a DJ himself. This worked perfectly and allowed Dan Cook their fab DJ to finish early for the day!

We chose a seafood bbq buffet and our guests couldn't stop talking about the food, we took along some mini colourful noodle boxes which were used to put the spring rolls and prawn cakes in while the rest of the food was presented so beautifully and there was SO much of it the staff enjoyed a yummy dinner too!

We then had our guests all come together and a fire dancer performed for everyone. He was awesome and provided a few different fire acts to different music and then got everyone to follow him down to the rock on the beach and performed and insane fire poi trick where he spun it around and around his head with fire shooting out in a circular motion it was a definite highlight and one that really tops off the whole fire performance, we had never seen anything like it. Fireworks were then let off from the beach and surprised everyone with how HUGE they were! We all then headed onto the sand and let off wishing lanterns one by one. We have an amazing shot of them all floating into the air as my husband and I watch on, this was a really magical moment.

Adding in these extra hands on experiences for everyone really made it exciting the whole way through the night. We also had a first dance which quickly turned into a dance party and a conga line formed followed by a quick cake cutting and then more and more dancing and ending up with most guests in the pool!

The whole day and night was captured on film by ifun Films, a really great company selected by Beach Republic and recommended to us. They are a super friendly team and suggested fun things for us to quickly film with them through the night and it made all the difference, the video is AMAZING. We also opted to pay a little extra to get all of the raw footage put on a HD for us as I am a film editor myself and wanted to be able to play around with the footage if I wanted too or create an even longer video (needless to say I haven't and do not need to they did such a great job). This was also a great opportunity to have everyone record video messages for us that still leave us in stitches of laughter when we re watch them over and over! We would highly recommend them.

We really can't fault Beach Republic and now consider Julie a friend! Each and every one of our guests had a great time and kept coming up to us commenting on how awesome the staff were. We had so many congratulations from each of them and really felt like we knew them after only a few days. They went above and beyond and we cant recommend Beach Republic enough. Even when I left my engagement ring in the safe of our prior hotel by mistake, Julie organised for a driver to go and pick it up all within a few minutes! Huge gold star for Julie!

Please go and visit Beach Republic even just for a drink or three by the water, the cabanas and beach lounges are dangerously good you sink into those things and don't move for hours! The spa is also top notch!

If anyone wants to know more (pfft like I haven't rattled on enough) or would like to see our video please get in touch.

Kirst + Zane Gilbertson

**Ignore any silly not positive comments about this place, there are always one or two people who are so picky about resorts they forget to actually enjoy themselves!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
#2 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to Beach Republic The Residences? Share your experiences!