“Beautiful Place Away from the Hustle and Bustle” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beach Republic The Residences

Beach Republic The Residences
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
“Beautiful Place Away from the Hustle and Bustle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed in a 2BR Private Pool Penthouse. Just superb. There was some maintenance going on when we got there as there was a roof leak but they got to it ASAP and finished it ASAP. How can you complain.
Completely different review of the staff from others at TripAdvisor: They are just excellent. Very accommodating, and ALWAYS friendly. I didn't see one example of arrogance from any of the staff.
The hotel needs some maintenance work but we were advised that the maintenance schedule was interrupted due to the roof work on the penthouses. Will find out next year I guess, as we will DEFINITELY be going back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Very average hotel and kids didn't have much fun there.
We stayed in the villa with pool. We also hired a car. Pool inside room is ok, the pool in the hotel is very dirty.
The hotel is more for people to go for partying instead of family vacations.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BeachRepublicGM, Manager at Beach Republic The Residences, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I have to admit that I am somewhat baffled at your comments that the hotel is more for people to go to party than for families. While we are certainly a destination for the young and young at heart and do like to have fun here, to call us a party hotel is simply inaccurate. One of the qualities that is consistently appreciated most about Beach Republic is how inclusive we are. In reality, families comprise a substantial portion of our repeat guests. The pools in the Ocean Club are cleaned regularly by the on island experts. I am sorry that they were not up to your standards on the day you visited. We do hope you give us another chance to show you why we have become one of the most popular destinations on the island.
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here for 10 nights in July 2014. Me, the wife and my 14 year old son.

The Very Good:
Apartment was very nice. Clean and with everything you need.
The staff could not have been more helpful. Very courteous and polite at all times.
The Sunday brunch was good.
The food and drinks were relatively well priced.
The DJ was good - when he was there (we saw him twice in 10 days whereas he's supposed to be there everyday from 1pm to 7pm).

The not so good:
The beach is littered with rocks making swimming virtually impossible. You need to take a reasonable walk towards Lamai to find somewhere to swim.
The swimming pools are much smaller than they look in the photo's (marketing liberties I guess).
The smaller pool has bar stools in it yet there is no pool bar.
The whole place needs to be tidied up and given a lick of paint. The steel supports for the canopy are very rusty. The wood in the arches in the restaurant has peeled off in places and been patched up with wood that doesn't match. The red covers around the palm trees and on the sun beds are very faded.

The bad:
Beach Republic is right at the North end of Lamai beach. There is absolutely no entertainment at night meaning you have to get a taxi to either Lamai (200 baht each way) or Chaweng (300 baht each way) .. or go to bed.
The place was completely dead. For the first few nights we ate in the restaurant and by 10pm we were the only people left.
There is nothing to do for children. There are water sports available but you have to walk 30mins down the beach to Lamai.
Next to the apartment there was building work going on. Often starting at 8am and finishing after 10pm.

Would I stay again? Only if I wanted to hibernate away (assuming the building work is finished) otherwise I would find somewhere within Central Lamai.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and go for a villa.
2 Thank pauljtaplin
I am pleased that you found the apartment to your liking, that you found the staff to be so helpful and polite, that you enjoyed our Sunday Brunch, that you found the f&b to be reasonably priced, and that you enjoyed our in-house DJ (I do apologize that he was away for a few days to address a family emergency at this time). In regards to your other comments, our location is something that keeps so many guests coming back year after year. No, there are not beer bars, night clubs, McDonald's, and tourist shops next door. Yes, this and more is all just a 5 minute drive away. The tropics are tough on wood, metal, and canvas. All are due for replacement/maintenance soon. At high tide, many guests do swim directly in front of the hotel and there is deeper water just a short stroll South down Lamai Beach. I do apologize for the construction noise - this was due to urgent maintenance and has since been completed. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

From the moment I emailed Julie at Beach Republic to enquire about holding my wedding there...I knew this was the right place. It's a bit nerve wracking organising a wedding via email only...but Julie was so helpful, patient and always made me feel comfortable that she genuinely wanted to do all she could to create the perfect day.

As a hotel, this place is just great! The rooms are clean, spacious and modern. The standard 'Club Suite' is all you really need of on a budget, however if you want to splurge, it's totally worth it. We stayed in the one bedroom penthouse and plenty of guests opted for the 2 bedroom tropical villas...needless to say, we spent LOTS of time hanging out in these villas...a private oasis with outdoor kitchen and couches and a huge pool.

The main pool area has plenty of sun beds and 2 pools, so we never had trouble finding a spot to cater for all of us. Food and drink service is directly to the sun bed so you don't even need to get up!! The staff we're attentive and fun, dancing around the pool with us when Dan, the resident DJ was playing. Sunday Brunch is definitely worth it, all you can eat, amazing food. Seafood galore! Mmmmm...I wish I could go back for another plate of chilli beef salad right now!!!

The food at Beach Republic is good, although as expected for a hotel, is a little on the pricey side, but you can easily walk out to the main road to one of the many little restaurants and have a Thai feast...or a Swiss feast believe it or not! BR is not located right in the middle of the nightlife, but it's only a quick Tuk Tuk or taxi ride away.

We encountered a few little issues with our stay, but nothing that should deter you from staying here...my Aunties air con was dripping one night, but the staff fixed it as soon as they could. The Infinity pool in the penthouse unfortunately leaves a black residue from the grout, which is something I think should be fixed. My siblings found items added to their bill from the minibar which hadn't been consumed...but we had no problem explaining this and rectifying the problem. There is also an unfortunate smell near some of the sun beds, most likely from a sewer outlet...but...you are in Thailand! The only other negative comment I would make is that the room service is a little slow. But honestly...none of this would deter me from staying at BR again!!

Even under stress, Julie and Beach Republic couldn't have made life easier for me...an unfortunate event meant two friends we're stuck on Phuket...with a box full of things needed for the wedding! Julie arranged for a taxi to meet my friends and pick up the box and take it to the airport to be flown to Koh Samui...I had the box delivered to my room in less than 24 hours!

My girlfriends organised my hens through Julie as well...we had technicians come to the pool to give manicures, pedicures and massages and then a bus pick us up to take us to a lovely restaurant for lunch. After a relaxing afternoon we then got a boat across to Koh Phangan for the full moon party! Crazy times! I think If I was to do it all again, I'd probably get married before the full moon party...it would have been nice to have a voice while saying my vows!! Haha!

The wedding day was just perfect, the ceremony set up on the beach, the set up for the reception, everything was just how I asked it to be. Even some last minute jobs on the morning of the wedding weren't too difficult for the Beach Republic Team. How many weddings can you say you have been able to feed a baby elephant, have a private fire dancer, an amazing fireworks show and let off lanterns with your loved ones? The food was terrific, the drinks we're plentiful and the party was huge! We had such a great time and so did our guests.

We would love nothing more than to come back and do it all again! Maybe we'll have to organise an anniversary reunion?!?! :-)

Thank you Beach Republic, for making our stay and our wedding day, absolutely perfect!

Room Tip: A pool villa is totally worth the extra coin!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lozzy85
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had reserved a private pool villa with 2 bedrooms, but at our arrival were upgraded to a 4 bedroom tropical villa with private pool- very nice!
at first seemed perfect- nice and clean rooms, comfy beds, free WiFi, 5 min walk from beach, big outside kitchen and living room area.
hotel restaurant serves a very nice breakfast with great variety.
but-
Bathrooms were outdoor, encountered mosquitoes and cockroaches, not clean enough, moss in the shower area and very slow drainage of the water.
The hotel restaurant is very pricy, we did not eat there much , but there are very few possibilities in the area as it is very secluded.
It was not possible to swim in the sea since the water was very shallow-so not much to do around the hotel.
SPA in hotel very high priced as well.
Bad location on beautiful beach- the hotel is located at a very secluded end of Lamai beach. although there are shuttles a few times a day, we prefer being closer to things.

Room Tip: if you don't like bugs and mosquitoes when you shower, ask for a room with indoor bathroom
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Milly S
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review here. We do have a number of villas with outdoor showers that are loved by our many repeat guests. This is the tropics and bugs are out there, but I venture to say that if this was a serious issue, the villas simply wouldn't be booked. As it stands, they are one of our most popular room types. Our location is something that keeps so many guests coming back year after year. Tucked away at the North end of Lamai and just a few minutes from the action of Lamai town- the best of both worlds. I have to disagree with you regarding pricing. We offer very good value for money on par and even slightly below many other resorts on the island offer our same level of service. We hope to welcome you back to one of our indoor Private Pool Penthouses in the future.
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 5 days. The first three nights we stayed in the Superior Suite and the Club Suite for the last two. In the beginning, we thought the hotel was spacious and comfortable, but as we started settling in we realized several problems.
2. The Safe box was locked and unable to open. We called the hotel staff to fix it.
3. The remote for the TV didn't work. Even after having the batteries changed, the remote control still didn't work and had to be replaced completely.
4. The hot water in the bathroom didn't work for over one minute. We constantly needed to turn the water on and off to get hot water. The hotel staff told us that it could only be fixed the next day when the engineers could fix it.
5. The stopper of the bathtub didn't work using the switch. The hotel staff only told us to use it manually. The engineers helped us fix the problem the next day.
6. The water pressure was very weak. We completely gave up using it because we didn’t know how long we would have to wait to fill our bathtub.
7. Complimentary items weren’t refilled completely. Towels were not properly replaced at times.
During our stay, we wanted to use the steam room. We told the guest relationship manager and was told to come back in 20 minutes so that they will order a staff to turn it on and steam it up. 20 minutes later, it was still not open and after confirming with the manager, realized that the message was not understood clearly by the staff. Therefore we had to wait another 20 minutes. The manager was very polite and apologetic but the staff seemed under trained.
When checking into the hotel, because we were going to stay in two different rooms during our stay, the front desk staff told us that we could have a late check out on the day of the room change, so we could move directly into the next room. But on the day of the change, they told us to check out at 12 and check back in to the new room. We wasted time and had to cut short some of our activities that we had originally planned. What made this situation so unsatisfying was that the hotel did not follow through with what they had originally offered to do.
In my honest opinion, I feel that good service at a hotel is to place the guest first and not do things for their convenience. I felt that even when we moved to our new room, they were not very welcoming as there was no welcome fruits anymore even though we had actually checked out and checked in.
Overall, the hotel had a very nice beach view, well-rounded facilities and a friendly guest relation manager. The facilities were unfortunately, not well-maintained, and the staff under-trained and not very welcoming (the restaurant staff is much better than others). Compared to the hotel we stayed in Bangkok, this hotel does not deserve 4 stars. I would never consider staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: 1. The remote controller for the AC was missing. We called the hotel staff to bring it to us. 2. Th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ttfcf
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Overall we enjoyed our stay at Beach Republic. The staff were amazing and the rooms clean. We stayed in the hotel part of the resort not the villa's.
The down side was that renovations were going on directly beneath our room and hammering started from 8am. We were only told on check in that renovations were happening and we may encounter noise from 10am. We requested an upgrade and were happy to pay the difference but were told no other rooms were available. We checked online and private pool rooms were advertised as available? The hot water was turned off and the 1st night we had a cold shower - this was fixed the next morning soon after we notified reception.
The spa treatments were good and reasonably priced.
Sunday morning brunch was great, the music and atmosphere was terrific. Real holiday and fun feel.
Pool area and cabana's great with a slight ocean breeze.

Room Tip: Check if any building/ renovations happening. We were unfortunate to have a room directly above whe...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lanna Samui
Lanna Samui
#5 of 187 in Bophut
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,014 reviews

Been to Beach Republic The Residences? Share your experiences!