“Worst Resort Experience of My Life”

Beach Republic The Residences
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 20 January 2011

This is my third trip to Koh Samui and the 10th trip to Thailand over the last 5 years, and I chose this resort because of the very positive reviews on Trip Advisor and the Value-for-Money.

First off, the positive points about this resort:
- Very spacious rooms for the price. Most of the rooms would be suites in other 5 star hotels.
- Pool area and lounge chairs are extremely comfortable and it is steps away from the beach
- Reasonably good location if you are looking stay away from the hustle and bustle of Chaewong, but close enough (about 20 minutes)
- The daytime male reception staff was very friendly and the western lady restaurant manager was lovely and friendly

Negative Points :
- Resort is still under construction, and a lot of areas are dirty.
- Reception is very disorganized and unprofessional - overall poor hospitality

Now let me tell you about the problems that we had encountered with this resort.

1) Electricity Outage – Being in Thailand, I understand that these things can happen. Unfortunately, we just happened to be staying here on the date where they shut down the electricity for a couple of hours during the day. However, my problem was that there was no notice of any kind by the hotel staff about the shortage. We arrived back to the resort after a day out around 6pm, and realized that the electricity was out. The staff did not leave a message of any kind saying that there is a shortage, and we were trying different buttons for about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to turn the power on. At this point, I called the reception and they explained to me that there had been a shortage and the electricity will come on about 6:30 pm. The reception did not even explain to us how we are supposed to cope for 30 minutes in the dark. Very confused, I called the reception again and asked them what we should do for 30 minutes. They bluntly told us that there is a flashlight in the bedroom closet and they cannot do anything. We later found out that this resort did not have a back-up generator, where most other higher end resorts on the island do.

2) Hotel Car – On our third night at the resort, we decided to go to a lovely restaurant on the other side of town Nuch's Green Ta'lay Restaurant (which I have written about separately, and the restaurant was fantastic). We were kindly dropped off by the hotel car for 600 baht for a 30 minute drive, and the driver (who was actually very friendly) specifically told us to call the hotel if we wanted to be picked up by the hotel car. Since we know that local taxis in Koh Samui can be a little dirty with poor drivers, I had asked for the restaurant owner to call the hotel to have the hotel car pick us up since it would be a relatively long drive. To our surprise, after waiting 30 minutes a local taxi shows up at the restaurant. I called the hotel and asked them what had happened to the hotel car, since we could have easily called a taxi from the restaurant and we would have only had to wait 5 minutes. Which surprised me even more was the defensive attitude of the staff, and they told us (only at this time) that the hotel driver had gone home for the day. If the hotel driver had gone home for the day, that is fine, however we would have liked to have been notified of this if we were going to be picked up by a local cab after waiting 30 minutes. I don’t think I am being unreasonable here….

When I arrived back at the hotel, I had asked for the Director in charge and spoke to him about the number of issues we had encountered over the last couple of days. However, to the issues that I had raised, he kept on making justifications and excuses (which he claimed as reasoning), rather than simply apologize. All I really wanted to hear was that the hotel is genuinely sorry, and the actions they will take for this not to happen again. I believe that is purely standard practice in the hospitality industry.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone who is accustomed to 4 star customer service and above. The staff and management are clearly not trained in crisis management and customer service, and I was truly disappointed with my stay. Due to the above mentioned incidents and the management’s poor customer service, we decided to check out a day early. When we checked out, neither the reception or the management said good bye or even say thank you for staying with us (I was not even asking for an apology). We walked ourselves out to the hotel car, and left to the airport. This was the worst hotel/resort experience of my life.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Whall21
TimDeanSmith, General Manager at Beach Republic The Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Beach Republic, and my apologies that you were dissatisfied with your visit. Our goal is for all our guests to love every minute of their stay and we take all feedback very seriously. I apologize for any disturbance caused by construction. While all the major work was complete, minor construction was being wrapped up as our builders ran past the scheduled final completion date - this was beyond our direct control, although it is of course our problem, and may have affected your room at times. I have personally spoken with reception and we have brought on an additional supervisor to ensure that our guests receive efficient and prompt service at all times. Regarding the generator, the entire Beach Club, Spa, Gym, and Restaurant does have back up power. A generator for the rooms has been ordered and is due to be installed. Regarding the hotel driver, he had gone off duty as it was the end of his shift, so once you called to request collection our reception endeavoured to assist by sending a taxi with a reputable driver for you. This took time to reach you as the restaurant you were dining at was a quite remote. As President of Beach Republic, anything but complete satisfaction is of course unacceptable to me, and I sincerely apologise for the aspects of your stay which were disappointing. I hope you will come and stay with us again so that we can demonstrate the excellent standard of service which we are known for.

Reviewed 12 January 2011

Even from before our stay, Beach Republic and especially Alex made a great effort to make our experience very plessant. Due to avalabillity they upgraded us to a great great pool villa and made our late arrival to Samui very nice with a complentary reception and live music. The place i beatifully placed on Lamai beach and the layout of the bar / pools is amazing, and you will be meet by the very friendly staff whilst relaxing more then you thought possible.
We where lucky to stay at the BR at the same time as they had invited top Dj's and rock acts to play during the new year... Top class
I simply can not recommend this place enough, and will for sure go back next year to meet everyone again! Don't miss out
Thanks again,
Jesper
HUGO BOSS

Reviewed 11 January 2011

We enjoyed a wonderful week at the Beach Republic Resort on Lamai Beach in Koh Sumai. The Management, staff, food and accommodation are all fabulous. The restaurant is very reasonably priced for such great food and the Sunday brunch is excellent. Tim the owner is very personable and made every effort to ensure guest satisfaction. A new wine bar and boutique are nearing completion to further guest enjoyment. The staff are very helpful and effecient while performing their duties with a welcoming and happy attitude. We would not hesitate to recommend this resort for couples who are seeking a relaxing, care free holiday.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We did spend six days in a traditional villa after a long journey throughout Asia and Western Australia. The villa which was just great. We did enjoy the private pool, the outside living room and the excellent food at the restaurant with a great view over the sea. The BBQ on Sunday is outstanding, regarding choice and quality. Beach Republic is not a hotel, it's a 2nd home. Special thanks to Alex, the General Manager, and his friendly and very helpful team who made our stay unforgettable. Koh Samui is worth a visit, especially due to Beach Republic.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Our second visit and we were not dissappointed. The new spa and beach club is amazing and compliments the original villas. We preferred the Traditional pool villas but were impressed with the new ones. Apartments are not our seen but they were contempery and clean. Penhouse was amazing although a little sterile.

Staff were amazing and made every day special even when it rained. We were always treated as important and our wellbeing was important to all of them. Martin the Chef had a great menu and excelled at the Sunday Beach Party. Management staff were incredible and the owner, well what can I say, shared his dream with us.

Perfect location for honeymoon couples and families alike. Very romantic sitting at the edge of the property overlooking the beach having dinner.

Recommended the beach club to our friends who also had an awesome time.

We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Our stay at the Beach Republic was wonderful. There was a lot of construction during our stay but that wasn't too much of a problem because of the friendly atmosphere created by the staff. Everyone at the pool area was offered free mojitos because of the construction noise on Christmas Day. We got a room upgrade from a one bed suite to a two bedroom villa with private pool. I think this was due to our room not being constructed yet. We got lucky!

There were a few things we didn't like that we felt were totally unnecessary. One was the high cost of airport transfers from the hotel. The hotel said they charge the same as taxis do to go to and from the airport....which is 500Bht. The taxis rip off tourists so does that give the hotel the right to rip off their guests?? Such a short trip should not cost so much! Also, my wife paid 1300Bht for a 1 hr Swedish massage. After the massage, she mentioned she'd like to use the steam room. She was told that it would cost an extra 400Bht to use the steam room. REALLY??? We have been to many spa resorts and the use of the steam room & sauna always came with a massage purchase! Interestingly, the Beach Republic offers a promotion to people NOT staying at the resort. This promotion costs 1500Bht and includes free hotel pickup, a 1 hr massage, 2 course dinner with wine, and full use of the steam room and pool. We were hotel guests and my wife paid 1300Bht JUST for the massage and was denied the use of the steam room unless she forked out another 400Bht. Does this make sense?? By the way, the 300Bht beach oil massages a little way down the beach were great...and you can even listen to the waves rolling in.

We would definitely like to come back to the Beach Republic to see what it is like after the expansion! Thanks also to Fon who was a wonderful server for each of our breakfasts!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Beach_Republic, Manager at Beach Republic The Residences, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for your review. There was clearly a miscommunication as the herbal steam room is available free of charge to all guests. I sincerely apologize for this oversight and I have reminded all our staff of this. As far as the airport transfers, at 500 Baht, we are still cheaper than the taxis, which will ask 600 to 700 Baht. It is about a 30 minute drive depending on traffic (1 hour roundtrip for our drivers) and we feel this is quite reasonable.

Again, thank you for choosing Beach Republic and we hope to see you back here soon.

Reviewed 27 December 2010

this place is luxury and excellent friendly staff.....nothing is too much trouble for anyone!
we upgraded into 2bed deluxe pool villa and it had everything any more.........
location was excellent, out of the way of main resort but only a 15-20min gentle walk and you can be in main area of Lamai with bars, massage shops and nightlife.
would receommend this to everyone!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamai Beach
Pavilion Samui Villas & Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
Rocky's Boutique Resort
#2 of 51 in Lamai Beach

Been to Beach Republic The Residences? Share your experiences!