“Relaxing, clean and affordable on a budget”
Review of Samui Beach Resort

Samui Beach Resort
Ranked #22 of 51 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Booked this hotel through a internet site (sorry can't remember which), arrived and was brought to a double room. I had a few issues with the room, which were quickly sorted out - I was immediately upgraded to another room with no questions asked and no excess to pay.
Restaurant food was delicious, beach chairs available and pool. Massage also available on the beach. Staff very friendly, and if you want a more lively crowd just walk down the beach and the crowds will be waiting for you.
Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms away from restaurant and swimming pool area.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Natalia D

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The rooms are clean and comfortable I stayed in three different rooms and they were all good. The staff are friendly and the food at the restaurant is very good Dui (the bird man) looks after you very well. Yves the owner is here most of the time and obviously takes pride in a job well done. But the main reason we returned to SBR is John the manager a great British chap who is constantly patrolling the property and making sure everything is ship shape. He is always ready to stop by and look after you and answer questions on travel on or off the island.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Bryan H
Reviewed 28 February 2014

After being on all forms of transport to get to Koh Samui we were greeted at reception by lovely friendly staff,
we were a day early and they soon sorted out a room for us,
it was cool and clean and smelt wonderful,we then went to explore and have a bite to eat food was good service was good too,
its had New builds and they look great a little odd as the rest of the accomadtion now needs an up date,
the grounds were attened each morning rooms cleaned and replenished with tea,coffee ect,
the beach was'nt very big in front of the hotel but plenty of sun beds of all kinds with FREE beach towels just sign for them in & out,
the Restruant served up some great tasty food a little more could be added to the odd meal but it was still good all the same,
the staff were great smiles and their service was prompt,

the pool wasn't very big but enough to cool off in if your not a fan of the sea,i like both but it the sea was rough most days so pool for me,my only grip was around the sun bed/pool area wasn't tended too it could of been swept/hosed down due to a beach location theres sand all around the sunbeds,it looked like it had'nt been touched in a while,

Motor bikes great way to see the island we hired one for a few days from the hotel really good price too, just be very careful though,there's no rules as such,

you can walk the beach and get to other bars ect for a bite to eat or a cooling drink, theres sellers up and down all day long selling beach wear donuts the fruit lady shes got talent loved to whatch her peel and prepare a pineapple or a mango,even a fella walking around selling you an ice cream,

We enjoyed our stay it served it purpose we got to do and see what we need too,
enjoyed the sun and totally relaxed including the Massarges those ladies do a great job,

There are plenty of places to eat in Lami and sights to be seen,taxi's can run on the dear side but they have to make a living too always barter,shops galore if you go into town all very samey samey just haggle,
for the price we paid we were happy and would go back in a heart beat,
a little improvements here and there,
Big Thanx to John if you go you will get to know who is.

so if its peace and quiet you want with nice surroundings and great staff

Room Tip: when booking ask for rooms near to the beach we had 6B & 3B,3B was close to beach
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This resort is one of the lower priced of its kind in the town of Lamai. It's nearly walkable to town, but far enough way to enjoy piece and quiet. The resort itself is long and narrow, with a small stretch of beach along the ocean. The resort offers a restaurant and a pool along the beach. Rooms are of 3 or 4 different categories. Budget rooms are in a hotel like building (where I stayed), duplex units are between the beach and the budget rooms, and the oceanfront rooms that are newly constructed which offer an ocean view and are poolside. The budget room I stayed in did have a dated bathroom. And as one reviewer noted, a water pump can be heard and birds are often chirping. I had the end room, room 111, and probably could hear these things the most. Like the other review, my room was immediately near the staff quarters. That said, the water pump can mostly be heard in the bathroom. It's slightly audible from the bedroom, but it didn't bother me nor do I think it will bother most people. The staff were quiet, the noise from their area was nil. The birds mentioned were chirping throughout the night...that said it was no different than the other 2 hotels on the island. Neighboring noise was not a problem either, I didn't think the walls were that thin and the adjoining room was occupied.

The staff is great. The restaurant is very reasonably priced considering it's owned by the hotel. I only had breakfast and it was very good. As others have noted, John (the manager) is fantastic. He's from England, so communication is not a problem. He's the reason this resort gets a perfect score from me. Regardless of what I needed (even if it was a service he didn't provide, like laundry), he helped.

If you're looking for a budget resort this place is great. Keep your expectations in line though, this is not ultra-luxery.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank freekboy
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights in December. We got lucky because we actually decided to come one day prior to our booking date and they had one room that did not show so we were able to get the room as they were fully booked for the night. The staff was very friendly and we met the manager whom let us rent the motorbike the first night for free! They gave us great suggestions on tours or activities to do while in Koh Samui without really pushing us to do anything. We ate at the hotel's restaurant a few times as the portions were large and yummy for a good price. The restaurant/bar is located directly next to the pool overlooking Lamai beach which was beautiful. There was constructions going on directly by the pool and restaurant so it was loud, but we knew of this as we read reviews before booking. It Did not bother us much as we did spend a whole lot of time in the pool anyways. Lamai beach however did have a large drop off just a few feet from the shore unlike Chaweng beach, so we didn't swim at the beach either. We didn't realize until after we went to the Grandmother/Father rocks that we could have walked the beach to the rocks it was so close! Overall, the staff and location were great.

We booked the room with A/C and were glad we did as it blew very cold during the hot days. The room itself was clean but, the bathroom had such an odor that I did not want to go in there. I would constantly hold my breath while using the toilet and I took very quick showers. The smell really ruined my stay.The shower did not stay warm very long, maybe 2 minutes max. Also, when we booked we asked for one large bed, but instead got two bed pushed together so my husband and I basically slept in two separate beds because if we were in the middle, you were sleeping on the crease of the two beds. The beds could use an upgrade as I could feel the springs underneath.

The hotel doesn't have 24hour receptions which is odd for me, but I noticed that in our other hotel on Ko Phangnan. They should really invest in some porch lights or anything throughout the middle of the walkway. They were constructing a new sidewalk while we were there so hopefully that is the start for some lights. It was so dark when we would walk back to our rooms after coming back late, which made it scary for me.

Overall, the staff, location was perfect. Hotel seems to be making the right steps to making their hotel better with the construction. We will stop by next time to see the changes.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights. Warm and friendly welcome upon arrival. The staff were amazing. Large nice room but bath room needs a refurbish. Its smell really bad that we scared to go the bathroom. Very nice pool area and location on the beach is perfect. However there is still a construction going on right next to the pool. We were very unlucky. All in all, it's not all that bad. Service is friendly but I do think there's a lot of room for improvement. Good luck.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 689laml
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed here for three nights. We had one of the fan rooms, but still plenty cool. The rooms were all very clean, but they did not have a refrigerator. The property is right on the beach with the pool overlooking the shore. The view was excellent. Near the Grandfather/Grandmother rock formation. There were lounge chairs on the beach and the bar let you check out beach towels for free. Good specials at the bar especially for happy hour. Easy to rent motorbikes or book tours. Near the markets and restaurants in the Lamai area and not too far from Chaweng if you want to venture out.

Room Tip: If in one of the fan rooms, keep the curtains closed during the day to keep things a bit cooler.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple