“Dangerous rundown and very unfriendly family run snake and bat infested” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Varinda Garden Resort

Varinda Garden Resort
Ranked #20 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
Singapore, Singapore
“Dangerous rundown and very unfriendly family run snake and bat infested”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Varinda Garden Resort. Do not stay here you will deeply regret it. Most of the good reviews for this place are for 1 or 2 nights stay only. It Is without doubt one of the worst resorts I have ever been unfortunate enough to stay at, it is ran by very unpleasant cheating scammers. It is run down and very dangerous not to mention the infestation of bats once the sun goes down. The people that run the place are rude extremely unhelpful and very unprofessional. The food was disgusting and the service was the worst I have ever come across. Only good thing about this place is the view from the pool. That is all and the only good thing I have to say. I can express how terrible this resort is from start to finish we were disgusted by it all.
The night we arrived 9.30pm we were picked up by a privet Taxi and taken to the resort (personally I would never class this a resort more a shanty town ready to be knocked down) we were charged 600 Baht for a half hour transfer and were told this would be a 2 way price we were CHEETED by the owners of the resort.
Once at the resort we were greeted by a skinny untidy youngish guy that could hardly speak any English, everything was in darkness and looked closed for the night. We filled in the particulars and as doing so my daughter was attacked by one of the many stray dogs they allowed to roam about and call pets. (dog fesses everywhere) we were then led into what I can only describe as a dark path into over grown Jungle with badly placed old garden ornaments all 4 of us tripped over something and were badly bitten by mosquitoes just going to the room. Once at the room we were shown into what we were told was the family villa I would call this a rundown shed. I asked about the bar or the pool and if there was any restaurant available. The guy did not have a clue what I was trying to ask. So I left it at that and we got everything settled. By 10.30pm we were all sorted and needed something to eat. I then asked the next guy I met if there was a bar or restaurant where we could get food. He said the whole resort was shut down now for the night. And directed us to a very narrow and steep path that my kids and wife were terrified of due to how steep it was and very poorly lit and Dangerous walk way. All the wooden path ways are very badly rotten and unsafe if.
Long dangerous walk into town and to the beach. No path ways so you are taking your life in your own hands dogging the fast traffic.
We met 2 couples with children that were disgusted with the place and the staff and had arranged to check out early as we did also but the girl had charged my credit card without my authorisation for the full Holliday and no refund for the days we did not stay the money was not an issue just the way we were treated again CHEETED by them. We found a much nicer friendlier place just down the road and loved it so put this place behind us.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel you will regret it if you stay here
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Daveytay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

I only had one day at the Varinda, but it was exactly what I needed to unwind and decompress after experiencing the havoc of Koh Phangan. The rooms are spacious and charming with a slightly rustic personality. The staff were friendly and took great care of me. I wish I'd have booked more time there, but I will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank volcanovaulter
Bacau, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

I like to travel and I try (I don't succeed everytime) to find special hotels,avoiding steel and concrete. If you want to stay in an organized jungle,feel with local art (excepting certains glitches),good art...this is the place! Bungalows are very rustic,basic,but extremely cozy. Everywhere you look is an organized chaos witc make you feel at home. The view from the restaurant and the pool is magnificent. The food is also good,and the sunset in the restaurant makes you turning in time ...
Definetely one of the best places I ever stayes(more then 300 locations)...

Room Tip: - maybe is not very easy to get down in the city by the backdoor stairs,but even this is fun. I don...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank adi6709
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We had to stay here for a day, and we quite enjoyed it. Everything was colorful and pleasant.
Our bungalow, was big, nice decorated with a phenomenal terrace, unfortunately we could be there only before the dark, after was way too many mosquitoes. Breakfast was standard, but with a great view on the very nice decorated terrace, we enjoyed it. Whole complex is a a maze of paths, it is on the hill, surrounded with lot of trees, water, small lake, very colorful. A city with restaurant and bars is cca 10 minutes away.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
geelong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

My girlfriend and I had a few nights at Varinda. It is an extremely cute/quirky resort. As you wander around the resort there are all sorts of interesting statues, little signs, ornaments. It is very "cute and funky".

Our rooms were great - I couldnt complain. Comfy beds, very clean again with cute touches, pictures, tie dyed bedding.

The day we arrived it was VERY hot - we had been travelling all day and we were hot and tired. I must admit I was disappointed with the reception, not even being offered a cool drink. Then we were led to our room, which was a bit of a walk and had to lug our own suitcases. We are by no means "princesses" but I think being offered a drink and getting your bags taken to teh room isnt expecting too much. We then got to the room, opened the fridge, again no water in the room at all.

I think the resort needs to look at their "meet and greet". Make staff aware of being friendly upon arrival.

Apart from that breakfast was fine - nothing overly special. We had one meal there on an evening when it rained, That was beautiful ! Thai curry,

If you have transport i.e. motorbike I would suggest staying here. If not it is a very steep walk down stairs to access getting to the shops/restaurant/beach. Coming back at night you had to be really careful coming up those stairs.

Would I stay again - probably not.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here at the beginning of our holiday in Thailand, we loved it!

The place has a very relaxed feel, homely and truly friendly.

We stayed in a large room, double bed, very comfortable, and a sunken bath, which pleased the kids 'cos they prefer a bath to a shower.

The whole place had so many places to explore, different levels, a playground for the kids, small but 'there', I haven't noticed many other aces to stay having this facility. Very colourful decorations helped to make the place feel funky, and welcoming. The pool had a small slide which kept our 6 & 7 yr old boys busy for a while, and while the pool was small it was perfect for keeping cool or having a swim in the day.

Staff were really very friendly, they arranged pickup from Koh Samui airport for a modest fee and were always available, with a smile, if we needed anything.

The food there was very good in the restaurant, breakfast was standard but for a smaller place was substantial.

My personal feeling was that this would be a perfect place for any family, or couple looking for some relaxing downtime.

The beach was about a 10 minute walk away, as was The shopping and eating area in Lamai.

Would stay here again if I wanted to be on this side of the island.

• Stayed July 2013
St.Petersburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We had a rest in hotel with the small daughter. And we were compelled to leave earlier. The reason that the hotel at all isn't suitable for small children. It is highly on the mountain, to a beach the cool long ladder conducts, with the child it is impossible to go down, descent through other hotel too uphill, it is very heavy for use of a baby carriage. In hotel there are a lot of trees and therefore many mosquitoes which bite the child fly. Family number very poor. The declared mini kitchen wasn't, only the refrigerator and a teapot. Numbers old and dirty, dusty, in hole windows where mosquitoes fly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family