“Great value”

Lamai Buri Resort
Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Lamai Beach
“Great value”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

This resort hotel offers some cheap rooms at their lower level. The only issue I had was that the TV was a bit dated and the remote was falling apart. Great pool, WiFi, and location. Anyone staying at Koh Sumoi should rent a scooter to get around to the beaches. You can access the beach at the Mira Mare hotel which has very good and cheap food and beer, we ate there several times and hung out at the beach.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Galway
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights in a standard double room. We decided not to get breakfast included as we had read many negative reviews of it on tripadvisor previously. There were a number of places very close by that do a nice breakfast for a very reasonable amount. The room was well cleaned each day.

The room was very nice. The wi-fi connection in our room was excellent and we were able to get wi-fi by the pool as well. The wi-fi was free which was appreciated.

The pool was lovely. The only issue was that there were not a huge amount of sun loungers so there was a little race to get them each day. Due to the angle of the sun in the afternoon only the six loungers closest to the bar were in the sun. This meant if you wanted to stay and sun bathe by the pool for the full day you had to get up early to get two of these six chairs. We did not go to the bar by the pool during our stay.

We wanted to go to the restaurant on our first night there at 7pm and we found it was closed. There was a sign that says the opening hours are until 10pm, so don’t trust this. The opening hours seemed random to be honest. The receptionist did not have very good English when we asked about a taxi or getting a ferry back to Surat Thani. We ended up going to one of the tour agents in the town. We would advise to get the open backed pick up vans with seats if you are getting a taxi anywhere as they are cheaper and you can negotiate the price easier with them than the taxi cars.

The resort is located to the very south of Lamai town. Lamai town itself isn’t, in our opinion, as nice as Chaweng. There is a lot less to do there. There was nice Italian restaurant at the start of the village which had a fantastic deal of all you can eat pizza on Sundays and Wednesdays, which we would recommend if you fancy some nice pizza. Also the Muay Thai training centre is very close to the resort.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
fleet
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I have just returned after staying at this hotel for 2 weeks.Although the staff are extremely helpful it didnt make up for the hotel being in need of a refurb.The room was cleaned every day but the room was very tired looking and we had broken patio furniture which had to be replaced.The air con was so noisy you couldnt sleep properly.We had breakfast the first day ,but didnt go again ,the juices were warm and there wasnt a big selection of food available at all.
This is our 3rd visit to Thailand and we have had much nicer hotels at a fraction of the cost .I personally wont recomend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kazanco007
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The most irritating thing about this hotel is that all the issues I have with this hotel could be solved by better management. It was 'out of season' when I visited last November but it seems that the staff were having a little 'holiday' of there own. I arrived in the early evening and the receptionist literally ran me to the room, left me with the key and returned at an equally rapid pace back to the conversation she was having when I got there. Fair enough I am a big boy now and can generally find my way around a hotel room. However the safe was of a type that went out with the arc and no instructions, visit back to the front desk. The door would not lock behind me, visit back to the front desk to find that the doors do not lock automatically behind you.
After a long trip a quick shower was in order, half decent shower valve with good suppy of hot water but the head was so low and you could not adjust the height as it looked like it had previously been broken and fixed in a way that it was actually 'fixed'. At a little over six foot this meant that I had a wonderfully clean chest throughout my stay but a crick in my back from tring to keep my bald head polished.
Slightly refreshed and with my chest gleaming I went off to look for the hotel restaurant only to be told that, as it was quiet, they had closed for the evening.
All very small issues but all could have been resolved if the receptionist had taken five minutes to explain the safe, the door and the early closure of the restaurant. Okay this would not have resolved the issue of my stature V's the shower head but at least I would have felt looked after.
Little things like having to use my own batteries in the TV remote (could not be [--] to return to the front desk) the shower gel (chest polish) was only given out sparingly. The bar by the pool was generally unmanned so you had to search for someone to serve you. There was very little heat under the ban maries so that the breakfast was none to warm but credit where credit is due the young girl cooking the eggs did so with a flourish and they were good. Not good enough for me to have breakfast there everyday even though it was paid for, nip into the village to the Outback for a proper feed if you want things hot.
All in all the lack of attention to detail detracts away from the fact that the hotel is actually very nice for the money. Perched on the hill above Beach Road the view over the bay is great. The sea view room with the balcony was large and clean, the fridge was filled daily and the mini-bar prices were reasonable. Clean towels (chest driers) and a great big and comfortable bed. Nice, clean swimming pool and pleasantly quiet and the cooked to order snacks were fine, not special but as good as you would expect.
All I will say in conclusion is that with a little stronger managment and some attention to detail this would be a little gem of a hotel. Don't get me wrong the staff are not rude or idle, on the contrary they were all quite lovely but they do need some direction and that is down to the management.
I will probably stay there again but with reduced expectation!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank JimBann
Liverpool
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We were happily surprised when we walked into our standard room as it was a higher standard of quality compared to places we have stayed in thailand but for the same price. We were provided with pool towels as well as bathroom towels, which we did not expect in this price range, and the shower had good pressure.
I did notice ants crawling from the headboard so had to buy insect killer. No more complaints once I sprayed it all.
The pool was quiet and a good job too as they only had enough beds for around 8 people. Ate in the restaurant for dinner once, would not recommend. Very slow service and not good value for money compared to what you can get on the main strip. The hotel is a 10min walk to the very centre of it all and about the same to the beach.
Front of house staff was ok but not very friendly, we stayed on from 2 nights to 4 nights and they demanded payment there and then, everywhere else in thailand is much more relaxed than this and they usually say you can just pay at the end.
Overall though, a very nice stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2011

We transferred from a luxury resort where we were paying 4000baht per night to this place with a standard room was 400 baht per night, the room was the cleanest that we have stayed in on our entire trip, the pool was leaner than the resort and nicer, the staff was excellent and the the location was great about 5 to 10 min walk to the beach which was perfect. All the action at night was about a 10 minute walk. The beach was great most venders will let you have a lounger chair and umbrella if you buy anything from them it could even be a water for 20baht. We can't say enough about this place and spent an entire day looking for the best room for the price and this was better than we expected. Stay there with confidence. It's great. Make sure to ask for a studio room ford that price and it does not come with breakfast for that price which is no big deal as there are plenty of restraints that offer breakfast down the road for cheap!.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank CarlyDPro
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Our tour group booked the hotel for us as cheap accommodation.
In the two nights that we were there we had three roaches (one was small but the other two were as large as my thumb).
The shower could not be tilted and sprayed directly at the toilet; the water did not drain well.
The breakfast, which was included, was abysmal. The hot dishes were all cold; they ran out of bread; the drinks were almost empty; and the girl making omlettes came and put one in front of me even after I'd told her several times that I did not want one.
We booked a local tour and then had to cancel. We did get our money back from the hotel which was good but the hotel didn't bother to let the tour know so we were woken the next morning by Reception saying there was a taxi for us and their English was too poor to get them to understand what had happened.
It was a fifteen minute walk to the beach and it wasn't a beach that we'd visit again either. There was no shade and so many vendors charging 100B to rent a deck chair with shade umbrella. The sand slopes steeply so the waves curl and start to break before they even hit the shore and there is a strong undertow.

There are some places to eat on the street down to the beach (there's a good cheap & cheerful place with aquatic themed cloth tablecloths covered in plastic that does amazing food for under 100B) but the hotel is quite some distance from the main Lamai shops.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
#11 of 50 in Lamai Beach
Am Samui Palace
Am Samui Palace
#17 of 50 in Lamai Beach

Been to Lamai Buri Resort? Share your experiences!