See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The aim of writing this review is to give an informed & honest account of our family holiday at The Homere hotel, Djerba.

Our 1st day arriving at the hotel after a 3hr delay with thomas cook wasnt great! First impressions of the hotel were great! Staff were happy and friendly.
We went to our room. Number 612 located on the 1st floor right in front of the pool. 2 staff from the hotel run 'Animation team' carried our cases up the stairs as there wasn't a lift.

The decor was dated in our room but very clean and tidy. The air conditioning which can be manually adjusted was nice and cool too. There was ample wardrobe space and coathangers for us to use. The Bathroom was also very clean. Shower again very dated but it worked.

The 1st thing we noticed was the loud music coming from the pool area. Our sliding patio window opened but with no lock. We have a 6 year old Daughter so this was a bit of a worry. There was no balcony that we were told we would have either.
Then to our horror my Daughter opened the door in our room to another door that was also opened by another guest! we reported it the lady at the reception. She said she would call an engineer to lock it. I asked if we change our room but we were told there were no more rooms. After waiting 2hours we went back and the receptionist said the engineer had locked it from the other guests side. We had to take her word for it but we out our 3 full locked suitcases stacked against the door to prevent anyone entering!

That night after attending the dining room for dinner. We were disappointed with the food/drink available. There were fresh pizzas baked and various meat/vegetable dishes and pasta, chips. But a lot of other foreign guests pushed in after we were queing for so long. My Daughter lived on bread rolls and chips. There was bottled water and plenty of fizzy drinks but they had pumps for diet coke and all week they didn't have any. I'm diabetic so i drank water all week.

We attended the animation teams children's disco which started at 8.45pm. My Daughter loved joining in and even though it was predominately French speaking. The animation team did speak some english and made new guests feel welcome.
When we went to bed the noise from the disco was ridiculously loud! given it was our 1st night we put up with it but it didn't stop until 12pm. We were all so tired!

After our breakfast which was poor choice again. Coissants, pain au chocolate. Crepes, fruit or limited cereal and milk. Or bread rolls...
we headed to the pool at 8.40am to be told there were no sunbeds! the lifeguard suggested to get up early every morning to put our towels out. So we went to the homere beach which was a 5 min walk from the hotel. We managed to find some sunbeds there and it was a nice beach. Friendly lifeguard and camel rides were available. We enjoyed it.

There is also a supermarket to the right of the hotel that sells souvenirs, some food, drinks etc.

We had to get up at 6am every morning to put our beach towels on the sunbeds just to ensure we had a sunbed near the paddling pool and under a parasol for our Daughter. A lot of the sunbeds were broken too. We were also told that part of the all inclusive package included an ice cream cart coming to the pool area in the afternoon for the guests and children. There were no ice creams brought round. The only ice creams were located in the bar area and they didn't have any the whole week we were there!

Some nights the entertainment went to a the showtime theatre which was around the side to the pool area. The animation staff did there best to accomodate all the guests with different shows on some nights including belly dancers, latin dancing etc.
but it was just on so late. It started late from 10pm onwards... we could still here the music from our room as it was so loud!

When we spent the day at the pool, the animation team were keen for the guests to join in with their activities, aqua aerobics, archery, etc
But i felt it was very inapproriate of the staff to randomly push guests into the pool whether sunbathing at the side of pool or just sitting at the pool. A lot of guests were annoyed and got their own back on certain members of staff and pushed them in too. Considering there were a lot of families there i didn't consider it appropriate behaviour.

Something else i found inappropriate was the amount certain members of staff, namely Gaston randomly decided to dine with us when we were eating. He also made us feel very uncomfortable by kissing our Daughter and saying 'he loved her' a number of occasions around the pool and at the disco he would stand next to Our Daughter and she didn't like it. We tried to say she was very shy and didn't like it but he wouldn't take no for an answer!
That might be the tunusian way to kiss and be friendly but it was too much.

Our Last night was on saturday. My daughter attended the disco again, Gaston took my Daughter away from me whilst i was dancing with her! i was starting to get very annoyed as he didn't get the message! I told him she didn't want to join in. so we just sat down. Then later on, there were games played and the guests had to find as many bra's to count. The male guests stripped down to just boxer shorts and the women guests were taking their pants off too!! Highly inappropriate in front of guests like ourselves with children! Then the disco started again and the animation team jumped into the pool and guests were pushed in and some were voluntarily jumping in. We decided to try and get some sleep in our room as we had to be up so early the next morning to return home.
Our Daughter couldn't sleep due to the loud music and noise from the disco and pool. it was 11pm! So i waited until 11.30pm and complained to the man on reception telling him we couldn't sleep and it be turned down as it was was far too loud and we had to be so early the next morning. He agreed it was late and said he would tell the staff.
Eventually the music was switched off at 12pm.

I feel that with the homere hotel being isolated and with no restaurants close by or hotels they can make there own rules and have nobody to answer too. Therefore they can have music as loud as they want too!

The only positives to our stay was the lovely weather, friendly staff & hardworking lovely maids who provided us with clean bed linen, fresh towels and made our beds every day. We left all our Dinar to our maid. She even made up some swans out of towels for our Daughter and tucked her teddies in her bed :)

If our room had been in a quieter location or if we'd have been moved when i asked too. Our holiday may have been a bit better. We payed for a 3* hotel but maybe not a 3* Tunisian hotel. Despite the noise, poor food, and location we had no choice to make the most of our holiday as we were there for a week. We wouldn't recommend this hotel for families and we wont be returning to this hotel or Djerba.

Room Tip: If you have a young family, choose a different room away from the entertainment. Don't go in Room 612. It's far too noisy!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Emma B
Reviewed 4 August 2014

choose and paid for thru thomas cook. the holiday ran from the 18thmay to 1st june
firstly, have posted this review today having read the response to criticism from from the
manager a Mr fessili.
now for the list of problems we encountered
1/at the time the kids club was none existant
2/french run hotel catering solely for the french speaking tourist
activities/shows/bingo /quiz announced and performed in french
3/the advertised friendly staff were arrogant,surly and at times rude
preferred treatment in the bar /restuarant again to the french speaker
4/advertised pool/beach bars did not open until the 2nd week
towels/certain spirits/ice cream/sun lounger cushion were all to be paid
for (not as advertised)
5/at night time a childrens mini disco was run ,and dispite 80% of the children
being english most off the songs were in french and german
6/adult entertainment again rarely performed to include the british tourist tourist
turkish baths/sauna (advertised free) available at a charge
7/food ranged from bland to at times uneatable
j8/amel the thomas cook rep was a disgrace/meetings held were in disarray and at
times heated..thomas cook and the hotel blaming each other for the problems
when i arrived at the hotel 18th may 25 guests who arrived with me paid the extra
and moved ..i should have..a few days into the stay we had a 1 to 1 with jamal the rep
onlly to be told do not worry things will improve next week.we requested a complaint form
along with at least 40-50 other guests.i am currently in dispute with thomas cook
so finally when my family group stayed
there were heated arguements from customers with jamil... complaints on a daily basis
to management
bad service/manners/ bland food /a hotel interested in taking the british pound but not the tourist.. so mr fessili all the complaint forms to thomas cook a copy you received ..have they
been ignored.. my advise is give this hotel a miss

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank leonard t
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Our flight with thomas cook was delayed 6 hours so after ariving at hour hotel at 4.30am we had to fill out visa forms. We were then shown to our room wich was basic but you get what you pay for.
The pool was always clean i could never fault this, the food was intresting, we stayed for 2 weeks the first week the food was good but by the second week the quality had dropped.
The entertainment team were AMAZING they kept every one entertained all day, things for everyone to take part in they made the holiday.
one of the entertainers stood out by miles, his name was Gaston. I fell over a week in to our two weeks away hurting my ankle and cutting my knees he cleaned me up and looked after me for the rest if the holiday. He is such a credit to the hotel.
After returning to the UK turns out I have broken my ankle, but it was still a really good holiday

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank nayhay23
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I visited two weeks ago. I agree the decor and rooms were 'tired' and food was 'below average', however you do get what you pay for. The alcohol was of poor standard/quality. I didn't feel it was appropriate that quests were able to reserve sun beds putting towels on them the previous evening, leaving it impossible to get a sun bed even though we were up at 7am! However, I did have a fab week of rest and relaxation.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank TJJepson
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel with my young family for a week. The rooms were ok but a little bit of TLC was needed however the maid cleaned our room everyday and left are children's pjs and teddy bears neatly tucked into the beds. My son complained his bed was too hard and I had to agree my husband and daughter found them fine though. The pool was lovely although it is very difficult to find a shaded spot as all the French guests left towels out overnight! Shade was a must for my children as it was so hot so i unfortunately had to do the same! The food was terrible! Thomas cook should inform English people that the food is French! My children lived on bread for a week! The alcohol was again terrible and you could never get served at the poolside bar! The staff were fantastic with us especially Gaston. The animation team made up for the food and alcohol. My children had a great time and my husband and I took pleasure in the fact that are children enjoyed it :) would I stay at that hotel again?...no but remember folks you get what you pay for

• Stayed: July 2014