“Ignore the bad reviews”
Review of Homere Hotel

Homere Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Aghir
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I visited the hotel back in the beginning of July and hadn't read the reviews until a few days before we were due to go, they did make me wonder if it was going to be worth it but it was all booked by that time so too late really. We got there at about 1am as our flights were delayed but all the staff were so welcoming and nice and they helped us with our bags up the stairs when they showed us to our room. We had room 618, a nice clean room with a balcony overlooking the pool which was really nice. Only a short walk from the pool/restaurant/bar as well.

Our rep Jamal was so nice and caring and he was always making sure we were okay and enjoying ourselves. In our welcome meeting he told us about different excursions and we decided to do the camel/horse ride. It was good fun we got taken to a small indoor market where they gave us drink and we had a look around and then made our way back. Make sure you cover your legs if you do this as I worse shorts and was bruised from where the saddle rubbed my legs but it wasn't bad, my fault really!

The pool area was lively and the animation team were always coming to chat and make sure you were enjoying yourself and invited you to join in with their games and activities. Even if you didn't take part it was fun to watch everyone! The music was good, repetitive but it made a good atmosphere.

The food I really enjoyed there was always things like pizza/chips/salad but more or less every night had different options. Lunch was more of a recurring meal theme but we didn't always eat lunch anyway because of the heat. The waiters in the restaurant and bar were all so nice and have good English, always checking you have everything you need.

The entertainment at night was decent, they did things with the children early and then with the adults, all the animation team were great and really enthusiastic trying to get everyone involved in the dancing. They put on shows every night which were different each night and made you laugh. They animation team would often come and sit with you after as well and talk to you which was nice because you got to know them a bit more and they were so friendly! - Gaston especially as he was so outgoing and enthusiastic, they work such long hours and for him to remain upbeat and outgoing all day every day is amazing as it must be so tiring. He was friendly with absolutely everyone and has such good English he was a joy to talk to and do activities with and he definitely made the holiday for us.

The bar was good with decent spirits on offer and soft drinks.

Local shops were good and had a lot to offer, the beach was just across the road and was so lovely! It was nice ad private with plenty of beds and the sea was so nice!

I had a really good time and I would go back again. I think you just need to take the bad reviews with a pinch of salt because I can't honestly see how people can rate it that bad!

Room Tip: Try get one in the main reception block they're really nice and balcony's overlook the pool
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 19_Jetsetter_93

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Arrived at the airport in Djerba, Rep was there and quickly directed us to our transfer bus, don't get involved with any porters no need what so ever , but the driver will take your case off you and stow it away ( will expect a pound ) but relatively hassle free experience. the transfer took about 45 mins and stopped at about 4 different hotels , best to worst with the Homere being last ,first impressions of the journey was desolation and neglect and how can people live in areas filled with refuse dumped everywhere leaving us feeling very uncomfortable. We arrived at the Hotel just before dinner and was welcomed with a cold refreshing drink and given a guest card to fill in at our leisure in the reception area whilst waiting for the key, again Hassle free . On getting the key you are left somewhat unattended not knowing how to get to your room and remember the vast majority of staff are French speaking so was left a bit bewildered ! Animation to the rescue , one of the team took us to our room and helped us with our cases ( no lifts and several steps to our floor) this was a genuine gesture and much appreciated, in fact I think I may have even offended him by giving him a tip. The room was split into 2 with a dividing door to separate the children , very basic but clean with air conditioning (not very efficient ) but reduced the temperature, the bathroom was dire with a bath that needed replacing several years ago, unfortunately that is true of most of the facilities of the hotel. The room service was excellent with towels changed daily and rooms tidied after 3 untidy children ( well worth a tip at the end of the holiday ) Meals : ok you may have a problem here , first of all you have to find a sitting in a dining room that seems inadequate for the number of guests ! when you eventually find yourselves seated you have to then find food to suit ( buffet style ) not one day went by where you either ran out of food or cutlery or plates , staff can only be commended they seemed to be fighting a losing battle , again through either lack of facilities or organisation but some frayed tempers by several unsympathetic guests , wine or water was available by the bottle to take to your table and childrens drinks via dispensing machines , food was to a high standard ,plentiful but remember not specifically catering for the English so somewhat spicy for some people. The Pool area was a big problem it seemed very small for the number of guests staying ( I counted aprox 100 beds the vast majority in poor condition)with no organisation and guests themselves abusing reserving beds and leaving them unused for the majority of the day. Towards the end of our holiday the life guard/pool attendant had started to remove the towels from abused reserved sunbeds which eased the situation. You could go down to the private beach which involves about a 5 minute walk across the road but it is very small and the all inclusive package only allows you to have water there, there is a deserted bar to your left and to the right it is frequented by the locals ( I did not feel very comfortable there ) evening entertainment was provided by a team of 5 animation staff who by anybodys standards where excellent, my kids loved the mini disco and by the end of the holiday where experts , followed by impromptu ballroom dancing which the French seemed to love. A stage show often followed at the amphi theatre with well rehearsed routines which you would have paid to attend at home. getting a drink at nightime at the bar is difficult with only 2 yes 2 staff on to serve all the guests , so be warned .
People say you get what you pay for but for,but for 2 adults and 3 children the cost was £3250 but still a sizeable amount for a young family , I don't know who is responsible for checking hotels out but this hotel provides excellent value but lacks organisational help from the big boys out there ( THOMAS COOK ) help not condemnation required 5* service from a struggling 2* hotel. regards Guest room 617 August 2014

Room Tip: the rooms to the rear of hotel by the indoor pool , seemed to be more modern and welcoming.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2014

You get what you pay for !
This is worth remembering when staying here. Having read some awful reviews before going we were dreading what we were going to find when we arrived. We arrived at about 11 pm on the Friday and were provided with good and drink before being shown to our rooms by a member of the animation team ,as my mum is in a wheelchair this room was unsuitable for us because of steps room was very basic ,smelt and had a wasp nest on baloney we complained straight away and were promised a move the next morning . Next day we were moved to rooms opposite the outdoor pool which were much better. Yes the hotel would benefit from an update. Food was not really an issue for us always plenty to choose from the usual all exclusive they also seemed to be trying to please as many nationalities as possible we even had cheesy mash one day lol. We found all the staff to be very hard working bar staff,restaurant ,maids reception and animation team. Entertainment improved whilst we were there with a genuine improvement with the English music having spoken with members of the animation team it became clear there not used to English visitors but were doing there best and we did not feel we were treated any differently than any of the other nationalities. Thanks gaston ,billie ,Luka all the others guys whose names I can't spell sorry! And the two lovely ladies from the animation team who contrary to a previous review I read we found to be lovely,polite and completely friendly all on all We had a fantastic holiday and meet some great people !

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 24 August 2014

What can I say, we went to hotel homere on the 16th August for a short break,as their was only two of us our room was small,quite dated but clean our sheets were changed regularly and the floor and bathroom always looked clean.
This hotel is very French orientated and the staff seem to be chasing them around speaking better French than English .
The food is ok but very samey and in the evening they would run out of plates and cutlery with the French not knowing how to Que. up and seeming to think they can just nudge in. The entertaining staff done a good job one in particular was Gasto I think that's his name he always spoke to the few English that were there and kept the kids entertained. There was a few injuries while we was there as the steps from pool and entrance to the hotel was very slippery two woman slipped down the steps injuring their arms and a doctor was called. The entertainment was the same every evening until about 21.45 then you could go watch something round the corner,we didn't bother. The beach is across the road but the alcoholic drinks are not included neither are the snacks even though the beach does belong to the hotel homere also the ice cream isn't free either, neither are the pool towels. But all in all it was just my husband and I and it was very hot also the pool was clean. so if you want to go on a cheapie your not to fussy,and you just want some sun and sea than this is the place to go. And of course you don't mind being surrounded by mostly French families.

Room Tip: We were in room 407 which just behind us was the entertainment but that all finished at 11.00 so was...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Rooms - we had to be moved after the first night as there was a loud generator near our room (400 block) which kept us up all night! Was moved to 700's block which was an improvement. The rooms were dated and basic. The maids were fine but floors weren't very clean. Beds were fine but the pillows were just awful hard and lumpy!

Food- after reading reviews I wasn't expecting much. It was more or less the same every day - the pizzas were good but it depended on what chef run that station some of them were really slow and there was nearly always a long queue. The food layout wasn't thought out well there was always huge queues for chips and the staff weren't very quick at re-stocking. Sometimes you would queue at one station and that'll be cold before you got the next station queue! The worst bit was the ran out of plates and cutlery on numerous occasions and you would be left standing waiting for it!.There were two drinks stations in the restaurant and they often ran out - again this would take ages for them to re-stock despite being told by numerous guests. I think the restaurant staff need training!

Pool- we enjoyed sitting around the pool. The only criticism here is there are not enough mattress covers for the number of sunbeds.

Private beach - nice - shame you can't get all inclusive drinks there though!

I do agree with other reviews I did feel in general the French guests received better treatment from staff particularly in the restaurant/bar.

The animation team were great (not the 2 girls they made no effort with us and looked like they didn't want to be there!) but the boys were funny and made an effort with my son and us as a family. In particular Gaston who was brilliant he helped us with our luggage on arrival/departure, he sat with us at dinner and told us more about Tunisia, he was very good with my son who is 3, a very kind and genuine guy and his English is very good.

Entertainment - this was fine! The animation team work long hours and did really well putting on the shows at night.

The shop on site is expensive compared to the one down the road.

Jamel the rep - he was friendly and has a good sense of humour.

Trips - we did the island tour - my advice don't bother! Chaos! Other guests got a taxi and took themselves off to the markets/ museums - I wish I had done the same!

All in all this hotel isn't amazing but it was cheap and we did have a good time but it's the animation boys that make it worth visiting!

Room Tip: Ask for 700 block
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We went here for a quiet chilled break myself and a friend, hotel staff are very friendly and helpful, hotel is clean and tidy. Could do with abit of refurbishment but its a nice hotel. Rooms cleaned every day, fresh towels again basic room but what we needed for a week away. Beach lovely and clean not pestered to do trips out, once you say no they leave you alone for the rest of the week. Food alittle bland, but always alot of choice.

Room Tip: rooms away from the pool as the entertainment goes on around the pool area.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We arrived at the hotel during the middle of the day and first impressions from the bus was it lookslovely. We got off to to fill in some forms and to find it quite lively, anyway we decided to go with an open mind. We had to wait until our room was ready and went for a walk round the complex, it does look very nice. When our room was ready we was given our key and a girl from the animation team showed us our room. When I mean showed us she was too busy wanting to dance and to not talk to us. She was very rude and didn't help with any luggage. There is two women in the animation team and it wasn't the girl who did the kids shows who was fantastic. The room was OK by our standards expected of a 3 star but would of liked a balcony. The chamber maids were very good and kept things very clean and tidy. Most of the entertainment was down by the main pool and the music was unbearably loud. They could turn it down a little without damaging the entertainment. The evening entertainment was shocking but just laughed it off. The animation team did try to make it funny but its best to be left to real performers as there isn't much outside of the complex. They were really friendly at all times apart from that young girl, she didn't care much for the job it seemed. The bar was really friendly and served very healthy measures. Only thing is that there is no smoking in the bar but the kitchen bar staff fail to acknowledge that. The waiters were brilliant in the dining area. Food was very French with pizza and chips for alternative. Most of the food was the same every night and got bland by the end although tasted good. There are flies about so go in early to get the best. The food and salads were out an hour before we were allowed in which wasn't good. The photographer adel is fantastic and really made our holiday with some special photos for me and my partner. Very cheap too! Our rep Jamel was very formative but serious, just needs to relax an have more fun. He talked to us about some excursions and half of them weren't safe to go to at this time. We chose a camel ride and boat trip. First the boat trip, very good for the price but just expect lots of dance music of the journey. The island we were at was lovely apart from the poo in the water we seen often. The camel ride was good but was heavily let down by the people. Just to highlight the men really really like pretty women. One of which took a shine to my partner. They tricked us in thinking we would swap the camel half way to go on a horse ride but instead it was a horse and cart and him asking my partner if she would like to go on a horse ride for an hour with him, to me I found that very annoying. He did ruin our entire day for that. Overall the weather was great and the staff was helpful apart from one girl and they just need to rethink where entertainment is used. Tone down the music a little and clean the indoor pool better. Use better chemicals for the pools as my partner got very very I'll.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony and away from the main pool as they play very loud music until some nights...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keith N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aghir
Hotel Palm Azur
El Mouradi Djerba Menzel
Hotel Golf Beach & Spa
Hotel Golf Beach & Spa
#13 of 46 in Midoun

Been to Homere Hotel? Share your experiences!