“Not for the English. Rude staff.”
Review of Virginia Hotel

Virginia Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Koskinou
“Not for the English. Rude staff.”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed here for one week, wanting a chilled out scene but with good night life near by. Falaraki and Rhodes town are both €13 away in a taxi which can be ordered from the reception.

On arrival, we were greeted by the receptionist and given a room key receiving no information on where our room was and were told to look at booklets throughout the hotel for any extra information. Once we found our room (in the old part of the hotel - please book new part if can!!) we could not operate the door, as the handle was on its last legs, so had to ask reception to open it for us and he informed us we had to lean on the door whilst turning the key for it to work!!

The food at the hotel is extremely basic and is the same pretty much every day.
The drinks on the all inclusive are extremely limited only offering beer, wine, vodka, tequila and whiskey. Not allowing for any extras for example - lime cordial or grenadene. According to the rude bar staff these were only for the children.

The hotel is largely based for Eastern Europeans, with all animation staff not really bothering with the English.

Overall, the holiday is what you make of it.

If like a lively nightlife, Rhodes town and falaraki are a must visit.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My partner and I travelled in the 2 middle weeks of July; this was our first holiday together. We booked the whole holiday trip from Ice Lolly and we got a good deal for 2 weeks all inclusive. Having said that, in regards to the hotel, we got what we paid for!

On arrival, we were frustrated because it was nearly 11pm, we were hungry and the transfer took nearly 2 hours because of how many stops we had to make. First thing the receptionist said was "Can I have your passports?". There was no "Hello, welcome to Virginia Hotel!" or "How was your journey?". She was one of 2 receptionists and my partner and I avoided her completely for the 2 weeks we stayed because of how rude and blunt she was on arrival. However, the 2nd receptionist was absolutely lovely, and we would always make sure we asked her the questions we had. The 1st receptionist gave us our room key, electric key and air conditioning remote. She explained everything in the leaflet that she gave us and told us where our room was. We saw the sign for WiFi and we paid 30 euros for 2 weeks; only one device was allowed on the WiFi that you pay for, which was annoying because my partner and I both had 3 devices we wanted to use altogether. We started to walk down and was surprised at how nice the hotel grounds were. BUT, inside the room was a completely different story......

Got to our room, there was a shaking wooden door to greet us. It didnt seem very secure... We put our electric and lights on and I checked the bathroom straight away (which was as soon as you walked in, on the right). The shower horrified me! There was a yellowed, plastic shower curtain that surrounded this very basic shower - two taps and a loose shower head. The shower curtain did not even reach to the floor so there was a drain in the middle of the room, which you stood on when on the toilet, so it made it similar to a shower room. The toilet and tap were fine though.
We were booked for a twin/double room and I presumed they would put us in a double room being a male and female couple. We had 3 single beds with 2 bedside tables. We were frustrated already (because of the transfer taking so long and being hungry), so we were not happy with the room as it stands. We both decided to go back down to reception and ask how much it would be to upgrade to a studio in the newer part of the hotel. Of course we still had the rude receptionist on desk. We asked her how much to upgrade, she turns around and talks to a male behind the desk in Greek, turns back around and says that they're all booked up for now. Then we asked if we could get moved to a double room because we had 3 single beds. The male says to us, "The rooms are all like that."
Now at this point I was confused and angry because on their website they advertise their double rooms with DOUBLE BEDS!! Why advertise DOUBLE BEDS for DOUBLE ROOMS if you don't even have them?!
The beds were very hard, we had a sheet and thin blanket to cover us with. If we had air con on in the night we were too cold, when we didn't have it on it was too hot! Haha, I think this may have been because my partner and I are used to using quilts at home, whatever the weather, though.
As for the "not-so-secure" wooden door, we found that it would shake like crazy in the night because of it being windy; we had to put a door in front of it to stop this.

Haha, basically we didnt have a very good start to the holiday already!

In regards to the amenities, I was extremely pleased with them. My partner and I always went to the pool in the newer part of the hotel because it was bigger and had a lot more sun on the area. There was only 1 day of the whole 2 weeks that we were not able to get 2 sunbeds because they were full, and this was at about 3pm so we were not surprised. The pool was always clean, sunbeds always available (never had any trouble with people stealing your sunbeds) and the pool bar was very convenient to have so close by to the pool. The pool snack bar was pointless, just left over food from the breakfast and lunch (e.g. cake, mini croissants, rice, salad).

The beach was practically straight across from the reception and was down a very steep hill. This bothered us a little and was often the reason we would choose the pool to sunbathe by rather than the beach; the climb back up was very hard when you are hot, bothered and thirsty.
We walked along the beach a little a found a restaurant which seemed to be joined onto the neighbouring hotel, Sunwing.This was extremely lovely to eat out at, it was overlooking the sea, food was amazing and the vanilla milkshake was delicious! However, it was a bit expensive, but seeing as it was the only time we ate out in the whole two weeks, it was a nice treat for us. Other than the beach, there is not a lot around the hotel.... This was a HUGE downside to the hotel.
Although, if you came out left of the hotel and walked down the road and turned left again at the next turning and walked a little way, we found this little town (not entirely sure if it was Koskinou or not....) there was a few supermarkets, restaurants, cocktail bars and places to rent cars. We didn't spend too much time here because it was a little empty and not many people seemed to be around. However, there was a lovely supermarket that we visited twice (first supermarket you reach); staff were lovely and they sold a huge range or gifts, foods, drinks etc you could buy!

If you turned right at the first turning you reach, after turning left out of the hotel, there was a bus stop. My partner and I worked out that this was the bus stop to Rhodes Town because the leaflet that was given to us at the start of the trip illustrated where several bus stops were. The bus was extremely cheap to use (1.60 euro each way per person). Rhodes town is a brilliant place to visit for shoppers and along the harbour there were PLENTY of excursions that you could do. This is where we booked our scuba diving. Rhodes Town is a must!!!!

In regards to the food and drink at Virginia, I was pleasantly surprised!! For soft drinks, they had Cola (had hardly any taste), Fanta Lemon (Lemonade) and Sprite. My partner and I stuck to Fanta Lemon and Sprite because they were tastes we knew from home (UK). They also had wines, spirits etc. which I would normally drink (and I tried to) but the measurements were literally half and half, and I dont like my drinks that strong.

Breakfast became EXTREMELY repetitive and we were both sick of it only after the 1st week! Scambled egg, boiled egg, beans, mini frankfurter sausages, mini croissants and seasoned potato cubes were on almost EVERYDAY.... Sometimes there would be onions and what they would like to call "bacon". There was always fresh bread out for breakfast, but was covered over with a tea-towel for use at lunch and dinner, which meant they were very hard by that time.
Lunch was different everyday and dinner was similar. Gyros pork, mixed beef and pork balls, rice, chips (WHICH WEREN'T ON EVERYDAY FOR US), pasta, spaghetti, bolognese, carbonara, salad are only a select few of what was offered at lunch and dinner! You do get tired of the same stuff, but you will always find something to eat because you basically have to....
Puddings never amazed me... The different cakes they bought out (carrot, lemon, chocolate) were always really WET?!! I'm not sure if they froze them and just let them defrost and that is why they were so wet, or if there was another reason...? But puddings I tried each thing, and nothing ever amazed me. Jelly and ice cream was on eveyr dinner time.

Staff were all very reserved but did their jobs. Bar staff were very efficient as were waiting staff in the restaurant that took your dinnerware away. Never had a problem with the hotel staff.
They washed the floors everyday around the hotel and had sprinklers to water the plants on at least twice a week. The housekeeping of the hotel was good.

As for our room, this frustrated me A LOT! You NEVER knew when your maids were coming, and did not have an option to put a "Do Not Disturb" sign up! One day they came at about 9am, another day about 2pm. The way they would check if anyone was in was by knocking, and without waiting for an answer, just barge in. On the second day, I was literally shouting at them "WE ARE STILL IN!" but she was still inisitent on coming into the room!! All she said was "Tomorrow?" and I said "Yeah that's fine!" I've never experienced anything like that! So my partner and I had to try and organise our activities to make sure we were out for the maids but we never knew when they were going to be there!!!
Room service was 6 out of 7 days, but we never knew which day wasn't room service so we still had to try and get out of the way for that maids on that day... Linen was changed 3 times a week which was okay, but we had blood on our sheets for 2 days :-S. One time when we wanted our towels changing (we would leave them on the floor if we wanted them changing) they just folded up our wet towels and put them back on our beds.... However, bins were changed everyday which was good.

I know this review seemed like a moaning one, but if I am honest, it was okay for what we paid for. But after this experience, my partner and I now know what to look out for next time we book for a holiday (e.g. closer to a town/busier place). It was a lovely 2 weeks in the sun, which is what we looked for. But this is our own opinion and yours may vary and if you like secluded places then this is an good place to stay at.

I would never reccommend this place to any of my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AbbyL0212
Bedlington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Went for 2 weeks 4 of us in total. Trouble started at the Airport on arrival no wheelchairs for the disabled we were asked who our holiday company was and a security guard went off to sort it out they returned with 3 wheelchairs and one small lady who they expected to push 3 of us the the luggage collection point and then to the arrival point to get our bus allocation and then to the bus not very welcoming. The rooms were very clean bed linen changed 6 out of 7 days and one week 7 out of 7 as well as the towels etc If anybody could not find something to eat with the variety of food there they must be very fussy. That's assuming you can get near it or even get some of it. The main trouble we found was there was very few English and shall i say others there were very rude pushing in where ever they could and had no manners to say a please or thank you to anybody including to the staff who were looking after them they also believed in filling their plates to overflowing and leaving half of it to be thrown out. Stavros and Iro in the dining hall worth their weight in gold as well as Babis in the bar more than we can say for Christos who likes to keep the ice cubes for special drinks. I know this sounds like we are constantly moaning but if you walk into the nearest village avoid the first eatery you come to as they tell you the prices are one price then charge you another and when you question it they accuse you of wanting every thing for nothing just because you are all inclusive. Walk on 50 yards there is a much better one which is a Restaurant and Cocktail Bar. On return to the Airport we managed to make a 25 minute transfer take 2 hours calling at numerous hotels and on 2 occasions there was nobody to pick up. we told the rep on the bus we needed 3 wheelchairs which he proceeded to get along with the case trolley. And the promptly left and told us to meet him at the check in leaving my wife to push 3 wheelchairs and a trolley with 4 cases at last we finally got there and the rep sent us to the front of the queue and watched my wife struggle to put 4 cases on the belt then off again and push them and the wheelchairs from check in 25 to 44 to put through the xray machine. Then low and behold once again a very small lady came to help us but when she realised there was 3 of us to push she asked 2 others for help to which they promptly disappeared finally 3 fellows arrived and got us to our departure gate. Poor start to our holiday brilliant 2weeks in the middle even worse ending thank you RHODES.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank John Y
Yorkshire
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My first time in Rhodes and stayed at the Virginia, My stay was the first week in July,
I booked this hotel as I thought it was closer to Faliraki than it actually was,
My sons 19 and 22 Yrs had gone the week before and didn't know I was going, After getting there and surprises done etc I went to look at their room,
It was their 2nd room as there first room had very little view So the hotel allowed them to move rooms the 2nd day to a pool view,
There beds were very hard as mentioned in an earlier review by someone else also mentioned by the earlier review If you get there late evening as in 11pm like my sons and others There is nothing laid on for you to eat, My sons had to order a pizza from the bar at 6 Euro,each although they were All inclusive.
My bed in my room was very comfortable, If it hadn't been I did have 4 other beds to choose from, Seriously! When I arrived I was told The hotel was full and so had to give me a 2 bedroom apartment all to myself, Nice touch,
Now to the review, The food is OK but not brilliant, Chips are plentiful so that was OK, Lots of Russians at the virginia But seem a lower class of Russian than you get in Egypt and other parts of Europe etc, No manners or social skills what so ever, What is it with them and the melons, Why fill 2 or 3 plates up with the stuff to take to there tables Only to leave more than half of them, Every day this was,
Breakfast is quite poor really No taste to it, Thank god for boiled eggs and salt,
Pools nice The new part of the hotel has the bigger pool, Sunbeds soon go though,
The beach is not great to get to if your elderly or not so good on your legs And its 10 times worse to get back from as you have a very steep road to walk back up to the hotel, Quite a trip,
13 Euro to Faliraki in taxi But the place is shut until 10 or 11pm when it comes to life, Leave that to the young-uns, Rhodes old town same price for taxi and this place was my cup of tea, Lots of nice shops and bars, Not cheap though, you pay more for taxis if hotel phones them 4-5 Euro more, They pass hotel frequently and can be waved down or walk left to main rd
and you see loads up there, You could get the bus from up the road too But that is 5 Euro each so if 3 or more of you the Taxis is cheapest option,
Felt Isolated at the Virginia But if all you want is to stay at the hotel then its not that bad, Friendly staff,
If I did go back to Rhodes then I would research the location better and go to a different part of Rhodes

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jcy1234
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Arrived Sunday lunch time on Bodrum ferry to spend 14 days with my family,Taxi from port 9 Euro,Reception very good,room in old part very clean with a very good aircon, bed is like a slab of concrete so do not expect a good nights sleep unless you like a hard bed and i do mean hard,maid come every day with clean towels
Buffet style meal on Sunday was rubbish and got worse as the 14 days went on,most of the guests are Russian and Polish who must be the most ignorant and greedy people i have ever met piling food on there plates like it was the last food available,but considering what was on offer most of the time that was not a bad thing,salads however where very good as where the sweets if you were lucky enough to get any.
If you wanted a drink with your meal you had to queue at the bar even for water which i thought was very silly,
The bars serve beer,coke in plastic cups but spirits and wine in glasses even in the evening when pools are shut.Bar staff are ok when you have been there a while as there are not many Brits so they are not use to guest being polite.

On the third day i went to reception and complied about the pools,the water was cloudy there was sand on the bottom of all the pools,during the two weeks i was there they were hoovered twice,i never saw the chemicals checked once even though on the day before we left the pool man put at least 1Kg of Chlorine in to pool outside my room in one spot,i have my own pool so i am aware of what should be done.The big pool in the new part does not have anywhere near enough shade for the amount of sunbeds which was evident when people had to leave in the afternoon because it was to hot,not a problem getting a sunbed, getting one in the shade was a bit harder.
Wifi you had to pay for which i have never done in all the all inclusive i have been in and the signal slowed right down in the evenings to 1mbps or lower.
If you are with children have a walk down to the parrot cocktail bar and see Pedro the parrot,the bar is family run and very welcoming,there is a games room next door with pool,air hockey and the like.
There is a place a bit further on opposite side of road called playland,total ripoff two small bottles of awful beer and two even worse wines 17 Euros,bit farther on and the same side as playland a place called Reni shopping centre at the back there is Reni bar,very good prices imported beers and spirits,free pool and darts also free popcorn,

Room Tip: Rooms facing sunrise are better as you then can sit outside in the evening
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This hotel is the biggest mix bag we have ever stayed at so will start with the good then the bad, the pool areas at this hotel are lovely plenty of sunbeds always kept clean if a little noisy at some points in the day, the hotel car hire came in very handy but more on that later. Now the bad points please take note the following was told to us by the receptionist when we asked about late checkout " we cant let you have late checkout because we dont know when clients are coming and upto the end of august we are overbooked" please double check you have a room with your travel operator you maybe sharing if your not careful. The food in this hotel is shocking im not a fussy eater either I commented at one point about not having seen someone eat a chip balm the next day there it was. I complained one morning that there was no bread for toast the manager on duty carried on buttering his balm cake whilst his assistant said the russians had eaten it all and there was none left, we had to eat out a number of times as it was that bad, we have stayed on 9 all incs over the last few years this by far was the worsed thank god for the car hire on site to get us out of there, unfortunately we stayed when the russian school hols had begun and theyd all come to rhodes apparently, these guys are so rude and have no manners even to the bar staff a please or thankyou goes alongway, they pile there plates with food and the hotel catered for this but even they didnt have enough food to cope with there deman. The island itself is gorgeous and plenty of sites to see, lindos is lovely, the water park at faliraki is great fun and rhodes old town is a must for the shoppers. A coulpe we know stayed at the oceanis near the old town and the reviews are pretty good for it to so try that hotel.
Tip for anyone going here is check what school holidays are on at the time your travelling if you hate rude people go after august.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glyn r

Travellers are raving about these Koskinou hotels

St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I have just returned after a week at the Virginia resort hotel, Koskinou on the Island of Rhodes.
Prior to attending I emailed the hotel to see if food could be put aside as we were due to arrive later, at 11pm.
On arrival, the very nice receptionist informed me that the manager wouldnt allow this which was a bit poor.
The room was in the old section overlooking the lower pools, aircon was included, the room was functional but be warned, the mattresses were very hard. The bathroom was typically Greek, toilet roll in the bin etc and the shower was cold apart from the evenings, I assume that this was down to the fact that the heating was solar powered. This wasnt a problem however as the weather was hot.
We had all inclusive, this included draught soft drinks, local beer and spirits, be warned, the spirits are half spirits and half soft drink (if you mix) personally I found this way too much unless you want to get drunk which I didnt.
Food is served in the dining room, the best description is bland, I rarely bothered with the hot food as I am choosy and dont eat cheap food like hot dog sausages and the likes, the pasta was usually over cooked and really this wasnt for me, the salad bar kept me going, lots of olives and fresh greens, there was also a selection of desserts. The fresh fruit was always cut, in the heat this meant it went dark and made it look awful, the biggest drawback was the lack of fresh fruit. The snack bar is a mix of all of the above, no free ice cream etc until dinner time.
There are a number of pools, all clean and plenty of loungers, there are 6 computers, 3 used coins and the other 3 you could use WIFI codes if you bought it (20 euros per week, 30 for 2 weeks or 2 per hour) a massage chair 2 eu and air hocky, table tennis and a few video games, all ata charge. There is a supermarket at the side of the hotel which is cheap enough.
There was no on site entertainment. The nearby beach is out of reception and down the road opposite, this was covered in cigarette ends and broken glass, most of which had been worn by sand, it was gritty and we didnt use this at all, it was awful.
The staff were fine if somewhat abrupt.
There are bus stops at the end of the road which take you to Faliraki or Rhodes town 1.80eu, you can also catch the Lindos bus here (5eu) and very crowded on the way back bit be advised, the orange buses do not pick up everywhere as they are the longer distance ones.
The hotel was geared up for the Polish and eastern european set, as in most of Europe, people do not que so dont get offended when people push in. The Polish were fine and they had an entertainments team who were fantastic, we buddied up with them on the evenings we were there and had a laugh even though I dont speak a word of Polish, dont be like most of the other Brits and blinkered, integrate and give it a go.
Prior to leaving there was a room tyou could drop your bags off, this was not locked however, there are also showers and toilets to change in.
We wanted a holiday in the sun with children and young adults, it was fine for that, if it was just me and my better half I would go elsewhere. Rhodes seemed much cheaper than other Greek Islands I have visited which was a plus, a minus was the litter, I hate things like that and found locals and tourists alike quite happy just to drop litter everywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for the new section
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank keithydee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Koskinou
Kalithea Sun & Sky Hotel
#23 of 31 in Ialyssos
Olive Garden Hotel
Olive Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Lardos

Been to Virginia Hotel? Share your experiences!