As mentioned by other travelers, this is not your run of the mill hotel. Our room was more like a ski lodge, with two loft beds, a nice size (big) living room, a cot, and funny enough, a privately accessed bathroom outside our room. It is more like a typical ski condo than a hotel room.
We liked it. It was different. The character was cool. There's a nice view of the water / fjord from the hotel. The staff was nice, there's free internet there. They had self-made waffles for breakfast (yummy!).
The downside is that the hotel is not really in Bergen. It is in Osteroy, about 15 miles away (I think), so it's not as convenient. The town is pretty, quaint, but like most small Norwegian towns, things close down early, and you don't have the niceties of Bergen. On the other hand, you don't have the tourists / noise either.
The value was good, it was cheaper than many of the Bergen hotels at 1150 Nkr a night for 2 people during a popular season.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bjornefjorden Gjestetun is situated on Hauge, Os, just half an hour's drive south of Bergen. Gjestetunet (Guest House) has 38 rooms, seven meeting rooms of different size, banquet facilities, a fireplace lounge and a restaurant. The farm was formerly part of Lyse Kloster (Castle), founded in 1146. The farmstead consists of five houses, and from guest courtyard there is a beautiful view over the Bjornefjorden (Bear Fjord).Family Birch is the eighth generation of the farm Hauge. At the entrance is a burial mound from the Viking era. The oldest building on the farm - former barn, and nowadays an accomodation for several of the guest rooms, is from 1655. The farm was once a part of Lyse Kloster, a rich and powerful monastery founded by Bishop Sigurd of Bergen, with more than 200 farms of their own.Guest farmstead is situated in a large garden, on the top of a hill above the majestic Bjornefjorden. From Gjestetunet there is a view to Folgefonna, Rosendal and Tysnes mountains in the distance. The farm is located ten minutes walk from the center of Os. It is also close to Lysoen, the wonderful and adventurous summer villa of Ole Bull.There are several hiking trails and jogging routes nearby. It is possible to combine this with a swim in the bay (for most of us this will be dependent on the season ...).Bjornefjord Golf Club is located on the property and is a nine-hole all-year-round court. We help you with booking and equipment you need.If you want to tailor challenging activities, maybe you will want to rent a real Oselvar (traditional boat), take horse-drawn sleigh rides, canoe or have a mini boot camp before dinner? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Bjornefjorden Gjestetun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bjornefjorden Gjestetun Bergen
- Bjornefjorden Gjestetun Hotel Bergen
- Bjornefjorden Gjestetun Norway/Osoyro