“save your money, go elsewhere”

Roda Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karousades
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“save your money, go elsewhere”
Reviewed 9 June 2011

This is in no way a 5 star accomodation. Maximum 3 stars. And if you like butlins, this is the place for you. Except butlins would at least have entertainment daily, you just feel like your one of several million hoarded into a butlins resort.
We hated every second of our holiday here. In fact we hated it so much, we got on the internet to try and get a flight out to somewhere else, before our week was up, we didnt want to stay the full week, however, unfortunately, you have to fly back to the uk before you can go anywhere else, and it just wasnt happening in the timespan we had.
The staff are very unfriendly, we always felt like we were inconveniencing them every time we spoke to one of them.
There are wasps everywhere, you cannot sit in peace at all.
The childrens play area is a joke. If there is even a little bit of rain, this turns into a bog and cannot be used.
The entertainment is not until after 9pm - 10pm at night. Therefore if you have toddlers with you, you dont get to see any entertainment at all. It would have been nice to have something at 7pm onwards to allow families with young children to go.
There is a massive break between lunch and dinner. Our daughter fell asleep on our first night there because of travel, therefore my husband and I couldnt go for dinner. We were starving so asked reception if we could get some food sent to the room from the restaurant. You'd have thought I asked her to come and clean our toilet with her tongue with the reply I got. I had to go to the shop ( which is very expensive ) to buy crisps and fizzy drink for our dinner, because they wouldnt entertain our request at all.
You dont get wi-fi in your room, to pay for when you leave. If you want wi-fi you have to go and sit in reception. Even the cheapest hotels in the uk have wi-fi in rooms.
The beach is horrible and you feel like your sitting on mud.
If you have any bad weather you have NOTHING to do. If you want to spend a fortune in a little arcade, then that gives you something to do, but what use is that to a toddler.
All you can do is sit on the beach or by the pool to be bothered by wasps again.
The spa was not relaxing. I booked time in the pool and had someone with a watch stand over me to tell me to get out.
This resort is all about getting numbers through the door and making money. They dont care how people enjoy themselves once they've paid.
The restaurant serves the same rubbish every night. If you have small children there is no choice for them at all. No childrens meals. Our 2 year old lived on chips and orange juice.
ridiculous
I would never ever ever ever ever bring my family to this resort again.
I sent all my feedback to mitsis head office, and they did not reply. They do NOT care.
STAY AWAY !!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Maria_s200

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Kendal, UK
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We've just returned from a lovely week at The Mitsis Beach Resort , having read some of the negative comments on here, I was worried, but needn't have been! Firstly, it isn't UK 5*, you don't get tea and coffee making facilities or irons..but then we never have in all inclusive..you can always stoll to the bar for a coffee!! I was expecting a horrendous 2 hour transfer..not at all, a mostly beautiful senic journey which took just over an hour (although we only had a few drop offs!). I was expecting a cattle market restaurant...well it was probably the best all-inclusive we've been to, yes you need to queue a short while at times, but it's not that bad even when the resturant is full, you get taken to a table, if you arrive early you get the option to eat outside. The food was hot and tasty and there was plenty of choice, I can't believe that there isn't something for even the fussiest of eaters! The fruit did start to go brown (but cut fruit does!). There was a selection of different hot meals everynight as well as pizza, pasta, Gyros (kebab), salad, cold meats, chips,breads and grilled meat! All 3 a la carte restaurants were nice enough and made a nice change (the Italian was probably the best). You need to book these then morning before, but we just did it on the way to breakfast. There are snacks (such as fruit, sandwiches, cakes, pastries, pizza and hotdogs at the pool and beach bars!). The staff were friendly..you just need to lead by example!! They work long hours, but we didn't meet one staff member who wasn't approachable and we had a laugh with many of them, just remember to be courteous, don't treat them like slaves and a thank you goes a long way. There were plenty of sunbeds, I got up at 8.30 the first morning armed with towels and there were loads right by our room! We had a lovely room with a 'swim up' pool, I e-mailed the hotel before we left and requested this! Nice quiet area. The cleaners work hard and our room was left spotless. The beach isn't the best, but I'm not really a beach person anyway..there were free pedalos and Kayaks and ringos/bananas etc that you pay for, also free sunbeds and parasols. Roda is a 10 minute walk from the hotel, you walk through a shop (that is cheaper than the hotel) and a Restaurant, Roda is a pleasant village with shops, cafes etc. It also has NSK tours where you can book trips cheaper than through the agent. We went on a beach BBQ, via glass bottom boat which sailed round some caves. It was a lovely day with free drinks and an adequate BBQ lunch, 3 hours on the pebble beach with clear blue sea to swim in...bliss!! We also tried horse riding which you passed as you walked along the beach to Roda..good value, nice views - if you like riding! They supply beach towels for a 10 euro deposit each (and can be changed daily), but I would recommend taking old towels for the floors as the room gets very slippy (especially if you have a swim up room!). Safety deposit boxes are supplied in the room, but cost 25 euro! There are a few steps around the complex, but my husband has a knee problem and I have 2 partially slipped discs and we coped!!

Negatives...beach (if you like golden sands!), the shower soaked the bathroom (we just put used towels down..they're changed every day!). The food is too nice, I put on 1/2 stone!! The Thomas Cook welcome meeting...don't bother, total waste of an hour, the only question I asked was where to get beach towels..I was told reception..wrong..it's from the pool bar!

Room Tip: E-mail the hotel and request a swim-up room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank Jo P
St Athan
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I booked hotel through directline holidays who rated this hotel as 5 star on their website, what a load of rubbish. This hotel is the Greek equivilant to Butlins and not a very good one at that. The basic facilities that you would expect of a 3 star is not there, no tea and coffee faciliteies in rooms, no iron or board, antiquated tv with one english channel only, no room service,no internet in rooms and the half assed attempt at waiter service is beyond me. After you are seated you are then subjected to the free for all at the food bars, even prisoners get fed in a more organised manner than this. Granted if you do manage to get booked into greek,Italian or chineese resturants things are better but not a lot.
If you are alocated like us a room around 137 you get a lovely view of the resorts JCB which at no extra costs gives you a wake up call in the morning.
The bar staff must be hand picked as i never once saw any of them smile in the whole week we were there, not a big issue but you would have thought they could have smiled at someone.
If like me you think you are paying for 5 star service and get a substandard butlins and enjoy the feeling of the bat being shoved up you backside then by all means spend your hard earned money on this hotel. I guarantee you will feel like you have been conned and dont what ever you do book with DIRECTLINE HOLIDAYS as once they have your money they couldnt care less. I tried to resolve issues with rep at hotel sent numerous emails and got no where.
Still trying to get some compensation from directline but since having arrived home the bat has been removed from my behind but have a very bitter taste in mouth. Again if you expect 5 star service avoid this hotel like the plague, you have been warned.

Room Tip: Avoid hotel altogether
5 Thank vmb811
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

, We booked our stay here as a last minute thing so to be honest we were a little nervous as to what would greet us when we arrived. Firstly i must say you really couldnt fault the cleanliness of the hotel, rooms, and reception areas. When we arrived the receptionists were really welcoming. Our first dissapointment was the room. It was smaller than we expected and our balcony looked out on to a childrens playground, making it very noisy and not particulary romantic. That said it was not the end of the world, just a minor complaint On the day we arrived there was nothing in the rather noisy full sized fridge, but then being all inclusive it was so easy just to pop out to the bar and get a drink etc. The bed was hard but quite comfortable, the television worked well but the only english channel was world news. . The public areas and the many pools were scrupulously clean, and the fact that some room complexes had their own pool there was never that desperation of not being able to get a space by the pool. The food was a bit boring and was mostly the same every day, in the main restaurant. I must admit looking at the horrible selection of fruit (brown chopped in half bananas), and brown apples were very unappitising. I have read in other reviews people saying the staff could not do enough for them, and while i felt the staff were generally friendly there were a few who's attitude left a slightly sour taste in our mouth, The worst being the surly barman at the pool bar who never even attempted to conceal his obvious contempt for the guests. We tended to laugh at it but i know we both felt uncomfortable and would not be tolerated in a higher class establishment. More rudeness was to be found by the greek owner of the hotel shop by the pool, I bought a vastly overpriced magazine only to find he had selotaped it together on four sides to stop anyone glancing at it . Then my husband was looking at the maps when the man started to to talk to my husband. My hubbuy thought he was just making conversation until he realised the man expected him to buy the map. When my husband said he would leave it for now, he was greeted with some harsh greek words and went storming off in a huff. Lucky my hubby couldnt understand. So in all this hotel is o.k. Is it a 5 star hotel? no way jose

Room Tip: no idea!
1 Thank susanbolden
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Had one week there.
Pool:
6 pools to chose from all great mostly warm extremely fun. Water slide is good and fun for children. Water is salty but that doesnt matter.
Beach:
Long beach with proper sand and free usage of pedalow and canoes which entertain you throughout the day. Also a good view of some other towns and Albania.
Rooms:
Very clean rooms with free mini bar and comfy beds. Also has BBC news which was good.
Food:
Good varied selection which show cooking. Booking is hard as it's fully booked by 9.00ish.
Staff:
Staff are all very polite and speak very good English.
Location:
15 min walk to nice little town. Beautiful surrounding area.

There were also table tennis, five a side soccer and tennis available.

Amazing holiday highly recommended!!!

• Stayed May 2011
Oxford, England
Reviewed 4 June 2011

We've just returned from a week at Mitsis Roda Beach to celebrate my husband's birthday and were not disappointed. We had a lovely large room that comfortably housed me, my husband and our 6 year old son, with lovely views over the gardens, pool and the sea. The hotel itself was very large, but beautifully laid out and even though busy, did not feel cramped. The main pool was very large with plenty of sunbeds (no reserving which was great). There were 5 smaller and quieter pools that you could also use. The beach was lovely and sandy again with loads of sunbeds. My son went to the kids club a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. He also made lots of friends. The main restaurant was fine, but I would higly recommend you eat in the 3 restaurants on the beach. They were really good. You just need to book the morning before you wish to go. There were just 3 negative points that slightly marred our stay. The transfer, though stunningly beautiful was extremely long at 3 hours. The air conditioning was centrally controlled and therefore set too high so our room was stuffy at night. Also if you need to visit the onsite doctor, make sure you check his costs before hand as they are horrendously high as we found out to our cost.
All in all we had an absolutely fantastic time, met new friends and totally chilled. Ignore all the negatives and go.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
warrington
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Returned monday (30/5/11) after a two week stay at Roda Beach. Not one complaint! Best holiday we have had and the hotel was brillant. We had stayed at a mitsis hotel in kos two years ago. So we knew that mitsis hotels were of a good standard but the mitsis roda beach exceeded expectations. We had a lovely room overlooking the ionian sea with albania in the distance. Everywhere in the hotel and its surrounding grounds were spotless. The cleaners never seemed to stop working. On our 1st day we noticed the balcony door didnt lock. We informed the very polite and helpful reception staff and within an hour it was fixed. The food was exceptional in the main buffet restaurant. There was a vast selection with the main problem being what not to have. But the three restaurants (italian, greek, chinese) on the beach front were the stars of the show. All three were excellent with idyllic views out to sea. The chinese was probably our favourite. It was nicer than most of the chinese restaurants in this country. Being at the hotel for two weeks we werent always hungry at the set meal times. But this wasnt a problem as there was an endless supply of rolls, pizza slices and pastries at the beach and pool bars. The animation team seemed to work tirelessly providing games during the day at the pool and providing the entertainment of a night time. By the pool or the beach there was never a rush to get sunbeds. Unlike most holidays. You could go to the beach in the morning and then spend your afternoon at the pool without worrying about sunbeds. If you got a bit restless you could take a 5-10 min walk along the beach in to roda town. A nice little town with loads of bars and restaurants. There seemed to be something on every night. All very reasonably priced. All in all this was a fantastic holiday. Im staggered how a hotel like this providing endless amounts of quality food and drink can make any money at all. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and after spending a week back in england, we are pining to go back. If you want an all inclusive holiday which provides great value for money in a gorgeous setting then this is the place for you.

7 Thank evansshaun31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karousades
MarBella Corfu Hotel
Grecotel Eva Palace
Grecotel Eva Palace
#2 of 3 in Kommeno Bay
Corfu Holiday Palace

Been to Roda Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!