“fabulous holiday”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karousades
Swansea, United Kingdom
“fabulous holiday”
Reviewed 10 June 2011

The four of us stayed at Mitsis Roda Beach 27th May for a week (half term) and had a fabulous holiday.

We had a very nice room (406), which is a within row of family rooms overlooking the beech, volley ball and Albania (very pretty in the distance).
The room was two single beds made up as a double. The boys were behind a substantial wood/glass separator with a door and had a single bed each.
The room had sliding doors out onto a small patio with a table and two chairs (which we only used for drying clothes).
The room had individual air conditioning. Apparently the main block has air conditioning, but it was not switched on in early June.

The room was spotlessly clean (as was the whole hotel). We had a small TV, which carried only one English channel, BBC World. We were not in the room long enough to need more than a news update.

The bathroom was also very nice. We did have ants in one corner for a couple of days, but the maid sorted them. The bathroom also got very wet after showering. We used towels to sort this. They were changed daily. As we booked through LowCostHolidays (Hotels4U) and had a family room, the fridge drinks and toiletries were not available – a bit mean!

You can have breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main restaurant. We were directed to a table (inside or on the balcony) and then we helped ourselves from the buffet.
There is a vast array of food to choose from. From fresh fruit to fully cooked. For breakfast, Omelettes where made while you waited. It was all delicious. The desserts were very, very sweet though. We ate in the three restaurants on the beach front as well. The Chinese was average, but the Greek and Italian were very nice. Great views over the sea while you’re eating. You have to book early (before 9am) the previous day for these restaurants.

There where snacks, sandwiches, pizza, hotdogs and ice cream available all day from either the pool bar or beach bar. Drinks were available all day from the same locations. The alcohol was all locally produced and not very strong. I stuck mainly to the beer. Watch the Sambouca though, I didn’t :-)

The main pool is seawater (and the others as well, I suspect). It took a little getting used to. My 10 year old spent all week in the pool and didn’t complain. He legs did get sore which Sudacream sorted overnight. There were lots of sunbeds by the pool, but they were getting occupied earlier during the week. You will need 10 euro to rent a beach towel. You can change the towel daily and get a refund when you leave.

The beach was OK. There were lots of sun beds and parasols. The sea would be ideal for youngsters as it was very shallow (watch the wind/current though).

There is a shop as part of the complex. It’s well stocked, but not cheap. It was only a short walk (or taxi) into Roda which would probably be cheaper. Take a torch for the walk back if it’s late.

The Animation team provided entertainment all day. We did a few things with them. The boys did quite a lot – water polo, football, beach volley ball etc. We thought Lorenzo and the team were great (especially the lovely Aqua gym girl). They put in a lot of effort and a lot of hours. Not too sure about the Lord of the Dance routine though! The evening entertainment was in the beach bar, but I suspect it moves to the outdoor theatre in the busy period (July/August apparently).

We found the staff very nice. They have a lot of people from many nations to deal with, and just being nice to them seemed to work.

We all loved the hotel. We’d happily go back, today!

Room Tip: 406 was good for us!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank TheAustralianatRoda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2011

This was a last minute booking and we were slightly suspicious that it was so cheap for a 5 star. You get what you pay for. It is definitely NOT 5 star but to be fair you haven't paid 5 star prices.
We started off badly at this hotel as the room they booked us into was at the furthest top corner of the resort away from the sea, small, dark and looked out onto a muddy area, no landscaping at all and with many trees only feet away (this led to bites on our first day). I will add photos soon. We felt there had been an error as we had booked a Superior Room with a Sea View. Initially everyone (rep, reception, bookings manager) were singularly unhelpful - passing the buck and claiming every room is "superior". We persisted and put our complaint in writing by email (using their own internet access!) and on our 3rd day we were moved.
All rooms are NOT equal and superior. This new room was much larger, brighter, had curtains, a pretty bedspread, art work, a shower screen and a flat screen TV - none of this had existed in our first room. We also now looked our onto a smallish pool with sunbeds and could see the sea albeit through a gap between buildings. 100% improvement.
Had we been given this room to start with or even if staff had not initially tried to fob us off I would have awarded an extra star.
The room.
Our eventual room was spacious and comfortable though the amenities and bathroom in particular mean this is still not 5 star. As others have said the beds are very hard - too hard for me but not for my partner. The pillows are also not comfortable which affected my sleep quality. The room was kept very clean but the maids won't remove cups or glasses with anything still in the so empty these if you want them removed. The TV has only BBC World in English. The fridge gets stocked with water, soft drinks and beer but there is not one diet version of any drink (though you can get these from the bars). You have to pay for a key to be able to use the safe in your room - I've never seen this anywhere else, usually it's a refundable deposit.
The main restaurant is too big and as a result noisy. This is more a case of getting food into you than enjoying the experience. The food is plentiful if a bit repetitive and the quality is good considering the numbers they are catering for. People with food intolerances and preferences should find something and staff will respond to queries - usually with patience and grace though not always.
Staff varied hugely - not surprising given the size of the complex. Some were delightful and helpful whilst a couple clearly hated their job (Nicola in the main restaurant grumbles under his breath all the time and even shouted at a couple of guests (in Greek)).
The three a la carte restaurants are much better and positioned right by the sea so you feel like you are actually on holiday as opposed to in a huge work canteen but they are hard to get into. There are 500 guest rooms and only 12 tables in each of these. You have to book the morning before the day you want to visit - they are all booked by about 8 a.m. We saw that some people went frequently so the share out of the chance to go isn't very fair. We tried only the Greek and Italian restaurants and the Greek restaurant is the best by a big margin. The young lady with the curly hair was the most pleasant staff member of our entire trip.
Drink
It's all local stuff. The wine is acidic but palatable. Best thing for me was the white with soda water added or the whisky with coke. The bar staff will happily mix anything you request. Beware in the bar by reception where they will instantly ignore you if a group of young ladies approach - we saw one in particular leering over some 14/15 year olds which was not pleasant.
Roda
Walk into Roda by the beach - it takes 3 times longer by the roads. A cab back at night is 5 Euros fixed price and worth it for a change from the complex. The Rock night in Crusoes was the best night's entertainment of our week. The drinks are inexpensive and the servings enormous. Skip the Freddie Mercury Tribute in the other bar. He is OK but the dancers are abysmal - we had to leave as it was painful to watch and distracting from his voice.
Overall
The resort is very big (at risk of getting too big) and there are lots of families with children so it will suit this type of holiday maker. It doesn't really cater for couples. There is no evening entertainment other than for the children and their parents. If you know what to expect and you get a good deal and are happy not to be constantly entertained then go here. We would return but only if it was with children and we got a good deal of price.
Beware, we spoke with many people who said they booked a sea view and didn't get it. There are in fact very few rooms which could possibly have a sea view so I query why there are so many websites claiming to provide this option. If you really want this, book directly with the hotel and print off the proof.

Room Tip: Be insistant on a move if you get a bad room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Barbara V
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2011

This is in no way a 5 star accomodation. Maximum 3 stars. And if you like butlins, this is the place for you. Except butlins would at least have entertainment daily, you just feel like your one of several million hoarded into a butlins resort.
We hated every second of our holiday here. In fact we hated it so much, we got on the internet to try and get a flight out to somewhere else, before our week was up, we didnt want to stay the full week, however, unfortunately, you have to fly back to the uk before you can go anywhere else, and it just wasnt happening in the timespan we had.
The staff are very unfriendly, we always felt like we were inconveniencing them every time we spoke to one of them.
There are wasps everywhere, you cannot sit in peace at all.
The childrens play area is a joke. If there is even a little bit of rain, this turns into a bog and cannot be used.
The entertainment is not until after 9pm - 10pm at night. Therefore if you have toddlers with you, you dont get to see any entertainment at all. It would have been nice to have something at 7pm onwards to allow families with young children to go.
There is a massive break between lunch and dinner. Our daughter fell asleep on our first night there because of travel, therefore my husband and I couldnt go for dinner. We were starving so asked reception if we could get some food sent to the room from the restaurant. You'd have thought I asked her to come and clean our toilet with her tongue with the reply I got. I had to go to the shop ( which is very expensive ) to buy crisps and fizzy drink for our dinner, because they wouldnt entertain our request at all.
You dont get wi-fi in your room, to pay for when you leave. If you want wi-fi you have to go and sit in reception. Even the cheapest hotels in the uk have wi-fi in rooms.
The beach is horrible and you feel like your sitting on mud.
If you have any bad weather you have NOTHING to do. If you want to spend a fortune in a little arcade, then that gives you something to do, but what use is that to a toddler.
All you can do is sit on the beach or by the pool to be bothered by wasps again.
The spa was not relaxing. I booked time in the pool and had someone with a watch stand over me to tell me to get out.
This resort is all about getting numbers through the door and making money. They dont care how people enjoy themselves once they've paid.
The restaurant serves the same rubbish every night. If you have small children there is no choice for them at all. No childrens meals. Our 2 year old lived on chips and orange juice.
ridiculous
I would never ever ever ever ever bring my family to this resort again.
I sent all my feedback to mitsis head office, and they did not reply. They do NOT care.
STAY AWAY !!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Maria_s200
Kendal, UK
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We've just returned from a lovely week at The Mitsis Beach Resort , having read some of the negative comments on here, I was worried, but needn't have been! Firstly, it isn't UK 5*, you don't get tea and coffee making facilities or irons..but then we never have in all inclusive..you can always stoll to the bar for a coffee!! I was expecting a horrendous 2 hour transfer..not at all, a mostly beautiful senic journey which took just over an hour (although we only had a few drop offs!). I was expecting a cattle market restaurant...well it was probably the best all-inclusive we've been to, yes you need to queue a short while at times, but it's not that bad even when the resturant is full, you get taken to a table, if you arrive early you get the option to eat outside. The food was hot and tasty and there was plenty of choice, I can't believe that there isn't something for even the fussiest of eaters! The fruit did start to go brown (but cut fruit does!). There was a selection of different hot meals everynight as well as pizza, pasta, Gyros (kebab), salad, cold meats, chips,breads and grilled meat! All 3 a la carte restaurants were nice enough and made a nice change (the Italian was probably the best). You need to book these then morning before, but we just did it on the way to breakfast. There are snacks (such as fruit, sandwiches, cakes, pastries, pizza and hotdogs at the pool and beach bars!). The staff were friendly..you just need to lead by example!! They work long hours, but we didn't meet one staff member who wasn't approachable and we had a laugh with many of them, just remember to be courteous, don't treat them like slaves and a thank you goes a long way. There were plenty of sunbeds, I got up at 8.30 the first morning armed with towels and there were loads right by our room! We had a lovely room with a 'swim up' pool, I e-mailed the hotel before we left and requested this! Nice quiet area. The cleaners work hard and our room was left spotless. The beach isn't the best, but I'm not really a beach person anyway..there were free pedalos and Kayaks and ringos/bananas etc that you pay for, also free sunbeds and parasols. Roda is a 10 minute walk from the hotel, you walk through a shop (that is cheaper than the hotel) and a Restaurant, Roda is a pleasant village with shops, cafes etc. It also has NSK tours where you can book trips cheaper than through the agent. We went on a beach BBQ, via glass bottom boat which sailed round some caves. It was a lovely day with free drinks and an adequate BBQ lunch, 3 hours on the pebble beach with clear blue sea to swim in...bliss!! We also tried horse riding which you passed as you walked along the beach to Roda..good value, nice views - if you like riding! They supply beach towels for a 10 euro deposit each (and can be changed daily), but I would recommend taking old towels for the floors as the room gets very slippy (especially if you have a swim up room!). Safety deposit boxes are supplied in the room, but cost 25 euro! There are a few steps around the complex, but my husband has a knee problem and I have 2 partially slipped discs and we coped!!

Negatives...beach (if you like golden sands!), the shower soaked the bathroom (we just put used towels down..they're changed every day!). The food is too nice, I put on 1/2 stone!! The Thomas Cook welcome meeting...don't bother, total waste of an hour, the only question I asked was where to get beach towels..I was told reception..wrong..it's from the pool bar!

Room Tip: E-mail the hotel and request a swim-up room
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank Jo P
St Athan
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I booked hotel through directline holidays who rated this hotel as 5 star on their website, what a load of rubbish. This hotel is the Greek equivilant to Butlins and not a very good one at that. The basic facilities that you would expect of a 3 star is not there, no tea and coffee faciliteies in rooms, no iron or board, antiquated tv with one english channel only, no room service,no internet in rooms and the half assed attempt at waiter service is beyond me. After you are seated you are then subjected to the free for all at the food bars, even prisoners get fed in a more organised manner than this. Granted if you do manage to get booked into greek,Italian or chineese resturants things are better but not a lot.
If you are alocated like us a room around 137 you get a lovely view of the resorts JCB which at no extra costs gives you a wake up call in the morning.
The bar staff must be hand picked as i never once saw any of them smile in the whole week we were there, not a big issue but you would have thought they could have smiled at someone.
If like me you think you are paying for 5 star service and get a substandard butlins and enjoy the feeling of the bat being shoved up you backside then by all means spend your hard earned money on this hotel. I guarantee you will feel like you have been conned and dont what ever you do book with DIRECTLINE HOLIDAYS as once they have your money they couldnt care less. I tried to resolve issues with rep at hotel sent numerous emails and got no where.
Still trying to get some compensation from directline but since having arrived home the bat has been removed from my behind but have a very bitter taste in mouth. Again if you expect 5 star service avoid this hotel like the plague, you have been warned.

Room Tip: Avoid hotel altogether
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank vmb811
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

, We booked our stay here as a last minute thing so to be honest we were a little nervous as to what would greet us when we arrived. Firstly i must say you really couldnt fault the cleanliness of the hotel, rooms, and reception areas. When we arrived the receptionists were really welcoming. Our first dissapointment was the room. It was smaller than we expected and our balcony looked out on to a childrens playground, making it very noisy and not particulary romantic. That said it was not the end of the world, just a minor complaint On the day we arrived there was nothing in the rather noisy full sized fridge, but then being all inclusive it was so easy just to pop out to the bar and get a drink etc. The bed was hard but quite comfortable, the television worked well but the only english channel was world news. . The public areas and the many pools were scrupulously clean, and the fact that some room complexes had their own pool there was never that desperation of not being able to get a space by the pool. The food was a bit boring and was mostly the same every day, in the main restaurant. I must admit looking at the horrible selection of fruit (brown chopped in half bananas), and brown apples were very unappitising. I have read in other reviews people saying the staff could not do enough for them, and while i felt the staff were generally friendly there were a few who's attitude left a slightly sour taste in our mouth, The worst being the surly barman at the pool bar who never even attempted to conceal his obvious contempt for the guests. We tended to laugh at it but i know we both felt uncomfortable and would not be tolerated in a higher class establishment. More rudeness was to be found by the greek owner of the hotel shop by the pool, I bought a vastly overpriced magazine only to find he had selotaped it together on four sides to stop anyone glancing at it . Then my husband was looking at the maps when the man started to to talk to my husband. My hubbuy thought he was just making conversation until he realised the man expected him to buy the map. When my husband said he would leave it for now, he was greeted with some harsh greek words and went storming off in a huff. Lucky my hubby couldnt understand. So in all this hotel is o.k. Is it a 5 star hotel? no way jose

Room Tip: no idea!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susanbolden
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Had one week there.
Pool:
6 pools to chose from all great mostly warm extremely fun. Water slide is good and fun for children. Water is salty but that doesnt matter.
Beach:
Long beach with proper sand and free usage of pedalow and canoes which entertain you throughout the day. Also a good view of some other towns and Albania.
Rooms:
Very clean rooms with free mini bar and comfy beds. Also has BBC news which was good.
Food:
Good varied selection which show cooking. Booking is hard as it's fully booked by 9.00ish.
Staff:
Staff are all very polite and speak very good English.
Location:
15 min walk to nice little town. Beautiful surrounding area.

There were also table tennis, five a side soccer and tennis available.

Amazing holiday highly recommended!!!

• Stayed May 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karousades
MarBella Corfu Hotel
Grecotel Eva Palace
Grecotel Eva Palace
#2 of 3 in Kommeno Bay
Corfu Holiday Palace

Been to Roda Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!