“One Word- Wow.”

Roda Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Karousades
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Mitsis Roda Beach Resort was my longest and best holiday destination in all the places I've been in to and I'm annoyed the official Thomas Cook rating is four. This is five. I stayed here with my family for eleven nights- technically ten as we lost one night in transit as it was a night flight. I'd like to add I commend the Thomas Cook attendants on this flight for restraining the woman on the flight there as she was very disruptive (swearing, screaming and shouting when there were small kids on board) and not
diverting after she was denied drinks so (very drunkenly) kicked off. Not nice.
At the hotel, we stayed in a sea view family room. I recommend trying to get rooms 401-410 or at least on that row as they're right by the beach, main pool and main building. I don't really recommend swim up rooms simply because if you're staying ten nights like me, it works out £70 a day as it's and extra £700 and there's not much
excitement to it. More secluded than anything. The beds are quite firm, but that aside the room was fantastic! Expect a few ants and not being able to flush your toilet paper, but this is the Mediterranean so if you don't like it, you'll just have to deal with it. The maid came pretty much everyday, filling the mini bar with water, changing towels and thouroghly cleaning your room. Toilet paper bin emptying included.
Now going on to food and drinks. George, Georgia and (I am awfully sorry because I cannot remember the name) but the barman at the beach bar who would give the kids high fives were absolutely brilliant. Please look out for them. George even remembers the drinks you'd usually have. Lots of cocktails, beer, hot and cold beverages and mocktails (brill for kids) available from 10 am till midnight though you can stay at the bar until one am. The main restaurant has lots available and the basics were the same and for the little ones there's a kids corner. The a la carte restaurants were great but I'm not a Chinese nor an Italian fan so... The Greek restaurant too is the place for meat and fish lovers. Not much else.
The entertainment, last but not least was amazing. Thursday I think was karaoke night for the budding singers and Caberet, Greek and Irish nights were all included in an amazing week and a bit of shows! After that, the Beach bar hosts a disco and you may see rehearsals at the amphitheatre. The animators are lovely, the only problems I had were with Thomas Cook themselves as the kids club cost €12 and it isn't very good for the older ones. This had nothing to do with the hotel.
The Corfu Airport is very, very poor so fill up at breakfast as there's barely anything food wise at the duty free. Only some Pringles and drinks and chocolate that'll most likely melt.
All I can say apart from that is that we're already on our way to Thomas Cook to book again.
Thank you Mitsis!!!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Abby C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,574)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Although this is more a 4 than a 5 star hotel, the food was excellent the room service and the bar/waitressing staff service was exceptionally good and the facilities were very good as was the entertainment , however, the all inclusive drinks were very poor (I have have stayed in all inclusive 3 star hotels where the drinks were of a far higher standard),there was no tonic and all the spirits tasted the same as did the speciality 'cocktails', there was no opportunity to pay for branded drinks,on that basis I would be unlikely to revisit. We booked two family rooms and were disappointed not to have a swim up room or sea view for at least one of us but the rooms were a good size and very clean. for a family holiday the hotel lacks nothing (except a decent drink!) but it is probably not suitable for singles/couples. The nearby beach was a bonus and there was plenty for the children to do, snacks and ice creams available most of the day etc. the Italian, Greek and Chinese restaurants overlooking the sea were superb and a welcome change from Buffett meals. The entertainers worked hard to see that people had a good time. There is a taverna and shop a short walk along the beach and plenty of places to visit nearby.

4  Thank susanh3765
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

It was lovely there!! The animation team where lovely trying to incorporate you into the games and dances. Wide selection of food. Amazing views! Has it's own beach where sun beds are free. Food and drink is available all day!! Amazing holiday I would advise you to say here or in any of the mitsis hotel! By far the best holiday!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My partner and I visited The Mitsis on the 16th june for a week and we had an amazing time. All staff are extremely friendly, the food was absolutely amazing (best all inclusive food I have ever had) and the location was perfect. There was a variety of pools and beach so there was plenty of room for everyone. The food was outstanding and we loved that they had three restaurants on the beach that was all included :) The hotel was spotless and the staff was amazing. the only thing I was a bit gutted about was the drinks, I wasn't a fan of what they offered, the cocktails aren't proper cocktails and they didn't offer bottled water, they put some in our room on the rare occasion so therefore we went out for drinks and had to buy bottled water. We would defiantly visit again. Thank you for an amazing holiday. We would recommend to anyone and if you do visit make sure you walk into Roda town its about 15mins max across the beach and go visit Skouna beach bar its the best.

Room Tip: we didn't have the room with the pool which I was pleased about our room over looked a garden an...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I am becoming a little disillusioned with TripAdvisor reviews, I have put great faith in them over many years but feel I have been misled of late, either that or people are allowing their standards to drop.

I booked for my wife & I, the Mitsis Roda Beach Resort & spa through Olympic holidays who sell it as a 5* Luxury Resort. This is simply not true! The TripAdvisor reviews give it the thumbs-up, but few mention its obvious failings.
Granted it is a lovely site with stunning views, & the staff are mainly cheerful, friendly & hard working. The rooms are quite spacious, with plenty of storage & we had a room in the main hotel block with a small swim-up pool right outside our room, sounds idyllic doesn't it?

The biggest failing is the dining facility, it resembles a school canteen, but with the tables closer together so you have to take it turns to stand up. There were queues for everything & it is continuously running out of supplies, not only food, but plates, cutlery, cups / glasses etc. It is simply not big enough to cope with the amount of guests accommodated, we tried different times during the sittings to see if things improved, but unless you were first through the door when they opened, forget it, meal times were actually an ordeal, we were only a couple, it must have been hell for those with kids, one family we talked to referred to it as the zoo, & another had given up & went into town every night. Then there is the food itself, once you manage to get some, I have had better in 3* establishments, I cite the Marconfort Hotels in Southern Spain, or the Intertur Group in the Balearics, all knock spots off this place.

The a la carte restaurants are chinese (very good), greek (ok) & Italian (awful), but you are rushed through so the effect is ruined, you only get to visit each once during your stay & need to book early as they are very popular, understandably.

Next on my hit-list is the entertainment, I read about the fantastic Animation Team & the lively pool scene, & I was looking out for them, insipid & unimaginative is the politest thing I can say, you cannot have games for 20+ people that involve one at a time & waiting your turn, people get, & did get, bored & lose interest & a lot of the games just fizzled out. The evening entertainment was just dire, were there for 10 days & only once did I feel 'entertained' by what was on offer, kids disco every night fine, I get that, then bingo, ok I suppose, but if following that with a quiz is acceptable, or poorly performed mime / dance shows in a show area that is again completely inadequate for the amount of people on site. It needs more, the place is miles from anywhere, so you are trapped to a certain extent.

The rooms are ok, but the beds are hard, the pillows soft & the aircon noisy, so sleep quality is poor. The swim up pool is a nice touch, but be careful first thing when you throw back your curtains to greet the day, the site of my naked body must have frightened the life out of the two old dears who had plonked their sunbeds right opposite our room. The walls are thin so you can hear everything going on next door from bodily functions to whatever else they get up to, & a crying baby next door drives you nuts! There is a mini fridge, & despite what the publicity says, it is not stocked with anything but water, a real pain as you are a good walk from the bar to get refreshments during the day.

The main pool is dirty, & again there is not enough room around it or enough sun-beds for everyone so you are reliant on your swim up pool unless you rise by 8am to secure your spot. all of the pools are salt-water which wouldn't be a problem if there was a shower by each one, rather than just the main pool.

The nearest escape is the village of Roda, a 10 minute walk along a beach path strewn with litter & rotting seaweed, it stinks & is infested with flies. You cannot walk back that way as there are no lights & you could do yourself a serious mischief on the large uneven stones. We walked back via the road (due to the lack of Taxis) a couple of times, again treacherous as it is dark & bendy with no path, that takes about 20 minutes.

Roda itself is a sad little place, very quiet, scruffy with overflowing bins & a general lack of care, there are a couple of nice bars, Oscars is superb, very clean, great food & nightly entertainment, & friendly staff as well, just make sure to get your change though, they seem to assume that if they take long enough to bring it you might forget!

To say I was disappointed with Roda beach would be a massive understatement, I expected so much more after reading the TripAdvsor reviews.

Room Tip: We were in room 131 & had the swim-up pool, the even no's had nothing but a balcony overlook...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bicesterian
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Well my wife and I are senior citizens, and under normal circumstances we would not consider a resort tailor made to attract children, however my extended family were going with our grandchildren so I wasn't going to miss this. Im more used to predominantly adult hotels at quieter times, so my review may be affected by this.
First impressions were very good, the check in was simple and straightforward, but I was disappointed to have to pay out 65 Euros, 25 non refundable for the safe and 40 refundable for 2 beach towel vouchers. My son was wiser and brought his own towels for his family of 4.
Our twin room was fine, we hadn't paid extra for a sea view or a swim up room, so didn't expect anything special. We got a quiet ground floor room (605) with a garden view about 100 yards from reception and considered it a good standard sizeable room at least as good as we've had elsewhere in all inclusives. Our fridge was stocked with only water, no soft drinks, but it was replenished regularly without need to ask for this.
We were pleased the bathroom had a bath, not particularly because we intended to use it often, but because there was an over bath shower with no curtain or screen. The first time I used this shower was the last time, since soapy water went unrestricted over the tiled bathrom floor, which was designed to drain away beside the WC. However the wet soapy floor was an accident waiting to happen as you stepped out of the bath, so my wife and I only used the bath for the rest of the week.
Apart from that the remotely controlled air conditioning was excellent, the flat panel TV had about 12 channels, mostly German, the only 2 English ones were BBC World and Euronews.
My son and family had paid extra for a swim up room, but were dissappointed to discover that they had been allocated a first floor room with a pool view. When they challenged this the reception staff didn't understand the problem, the subltle meaning of "swim up" seemed to escape them, however they were promised a real swim up room on the following day. This meant living out of a suitcase until the following afternoon, which didn't go down well.

We found the resort busy, especially at breakfast and dinner. As we needed a table for 6 and were escorted to a table by staff we sometimes found ourselves 'hemmed in' by surrounding tables and chairs for four which was more of a problem when returning with a plate full of food.
At breakfast, staff offered coffee on arrival, which would be replenished when you could attract the attention of staff. There was a wide selection of breakfast choices - something for everybody, but if you like brown sauce on your bacon and eggs, bring your own.
At dinner, the rules for smart casual wear, no shorts was blatantly ignored, and I sometimes felt overdressed by complying with the rules. After being seated, you are offered a drink, beer, wine, water, but beware, for beer they are only half pints and not full to the top:- if you fancy another drink later you might have a problem getting somebody's attention. I resorted to asking for 2 drinks for me at the outset. The buffet fare was OK, The soups were always delicious, despite the labelling sometimes not matching. Lots of stuff on the menu were the same every day, but the carvery and the fish dishes did vary, potatoes were mainly chips. The kids loved the pasta and Pizzas available every day.
The resort itself around the main pool was in high demand, I never saw an empty sunbed in the afternoon, and as mentioned by others, reserving with towels is the norm. The peripheral pools with swim up access were quieter and easier to find a sunbed, but again in the afternoon sunbeds could get in short supply, so if you get up for a toastie you could find the bed has vanished on your return.
The beach was nothing to write home about, a bit gritty and with a scattering of stones, was shallow and safe for a fair way out but it had plenty of sunbeds extending for quite a way along. The usual rules applied:- the nearer to refreshments, the more the demand for beds.
WiFi access was free indoors within 30 yards of the reception desk but bandwidth (speed) was poor due to too many people using it. There was a faster pay as you go WiFi service available for a fee.
Summarising, this is probably the busiest all inclusive I've been to, but since we spent most of the days near the quieter peripheral pool with the swim up rooms, It was OK for us, the kids loved it, the food was good, but the service could have been better.

Room Tip: Block 6 is within 100 yards of reception, but is quiet.
4  Thank Whickerman
Reviewed 2 July 2014

First of all I would like to say, that we really enjoyed our holiday in this hotel. We spent 12 days in June 2014 there with 1 year old son and because we were prepared for everything, the negatives didn't annoy us much. But first start with positives:

+ hotel area is really nice. The buildings are set in a spacious garden with a pleasant atmosphere.
+ pools and the beach are nice and clean. Children can enjoy tobogans, nearby playground and children's club.
+ Dishes at the restaurant were tasty eventhough some might say that the variety was limited.
+ Hotel is close to Roda village - 10 min. walk along the beach.

Now the negatives:

- the hotel is not barrier free! If you use a stroller, you will have to lift it all the time.

- no children food at all. All the dishes were salty and seasoned so we had to use our own food. At the end of our stay (29.6.) the main restaurant started to offer a children's food in the special area but it was quite late considering that we were leaving the next day.

- 20 EUR deposit for each towel. In case you lost the repeipt or someone took your towel, you lost full amount.

- There was no hot watter in the evening!! From about 11 pm you could not enjoy a hot bath or shower.

- The minibar supposed to be filled with bottled watter every day, but we had to ask for it almost every other day.

- Unprofessional staff that was a bit rude, trying even lecturing you. We definitely did not feel like welcomed guests.

- Reception does not accept credit cards. Only cash and the nerest ATM is in Roda Beach...Isn't it a standard to accept cards?

- "central" aircon...During a day, it was not possible to set your own temperature at a room.

- low quality drinks...

TIPS
We were lucky to stay in this hotel in June. Starting from July the hotel got very crowdy and prices are higher.

If you are staying without small children, choose the shared villas - own pool and a bar for each of them.

Hire a car. Corfu is a quite small island so you can visit all the interresting places on you own. I recommend:

Kerkyra (Corfu town), Beaches with clifs in Sidari and Peroulades, boat trip from Paleokastritsa, palace of empress SISI - Achillion and whole eastern coast.
PS: try the road through the mountains through Spartilas, Episkopsi...when traveling north.

2  Thank Jan P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karousades
11 mi away
Delfino Blu Boutique Hotel
Delfino Blu Boutique Hotel
#1 of 4 in Agios Stefanos
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel

Been to Roda Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!