“Great hotel!”

Alimounda Mare
Stockholm
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Alimounda Mare in Karpathos is a really nice hotell perfectly located just a short walking distance to the town. The room we had was modern, enough in size to accomodate 3 people. AC is included as well as soap, schampoo etc. There is also a free safty box and a small refrigerator. The beds are really comfortable (not hard as rocks as it often us) and you will sleep perfectly. The pool area i really nice and the infinity pool is fronting the beach. There are free sunbeds by the pool as well as by the beach. If you are late sleepers then it can be a challenge to find free sun beds. The part if the beach that is in front if the hotell is ok but very rocky entering the water but if you just walk 75m to the right the rocks is replaced with sand. The staff in the hotel is really service minded at all times. The breakfirst has a quite wide variety of both hot and cold. They will make you your own choice of omelette etc. The only thing missing partly is that it could be more fresh fruit and vegetables. We only eat lunch at the snackbar and not the buffe at the main resturant and they had a good selection of dishes at ok prices. Wifi us not included in the room rate but is free in the public areas. There is also a small minimarket, pool table, free parking and spa section in the hotel. The small gym however does not meet expected standard. The cardio machines was ok but not the gym equipment for weigth training. No free weigths at all and only one combination machine that was partly broken, this was a real disapointment. When booking room make sure you get one with seaview otherwise you can end up with a room on the backside. The only thing we had an issue with was the cleaning of the room but that was corrected when we told the reception. You also have free pool towels that you can change when ever you wish. I highly recommend the hotel so if you go there you will have a really nice stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank klaroussi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Raanana
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We really had a super time at the hotel and although we have no complaints in fact only wonderful things to say about the staff and the cleanliness and hospitability there are a number of things that can be improved. The wi-fi is not good, the TV behind the mirror is awful as you cannot see see it unless you darken the room. The waiters and the service in the dining room is amazing but there could be the service for receiving cappucinno or esspresso!
All in all we had a wonderful stay and thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Frontal sea facing room if you want more privacy.
Israel
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one week in the hotel. Excellent service ratio guests is above and beyond all employees at all level. People are very kind and pleasant. The location of the hotel is great.
I think that it is the best hotel in karpathos. There is wonderful beach big swimming pool the food is very good.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ester A
Beersheba, Israel
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Hotel Mare Hotel Alimonda great .. still have a lot to improve and streamline, but what makes it great it is his staff. Cleaning ladies, opens doors, front desk staff and especially the wait staff at the hotel. Especially note the waiter giorgos chloros humor, courtesy and kindness does a wonderful job! Malawi everyone like him ..
The hotel should streamline things: for example with the legend at the food put a picture of the animal it cooked. So it's easier for guests diners. Also bath towels to the pool, have the pool and down at the spa.
In the dining room we lacked espresso machine Kfotzino etc. as there almost every hotel.
Sorry, we enjoyed our stay there, we were there for a whole week when Israel fierce war .. peace, kindness and friendliness of the staff warmed our hearts.
aviva and yaakob spaya israel.

Room Tip: The hotel has a problem with setting the sea. We booked a sea view we paid for a sea view, but it wa...
4 Thank AVIVA S
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I recently visited Karpathos and stayed at the Alimounda Mare Hotel. This hotel is just pure perfection. From the minute you enter the door the service is excellent. Every single one of the staff at this hotel are so service minded, polite and helpful. I am impressed by this service! The people working in the hotel lobby, the reception, the guy working downstairs delivering beach towels every day, the women working at the spa, every housekeeper, everyone working at the breakfast, in the bar and all the boys working by the pool and beach area. Thank you for making my trip to this beautiful island.

The hotel rooms is beautiful and so is the rest of the hotel, the restaurant, the pool and the private hotel beach.

I´ve never experienced a more complete hotel. I truly recommend this hotel and I will defiantly come back later this summer og next year. See you then!

Room Tip: The rooms with beach views are so pretty!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Victoria S
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This hotel could easily be a great one, it certainly has all the prerequisites but it falls short. If I had to summarize my feelings in one sentence, I'd say pretense over substance. Adjust your expectations and you may end up having a better time than we did.

Check in:
Took 2 minutes but we were the only new arrivals anyway. I made a reservation through booking.com and specifically requested to pay cash. This is an option provided by booking and it is stated in big letters than you will not be charged until you get to the property. Upon arrival we were told that our card has already been charged and we were handed the receipt.

Our flight in landed at 9 pm, our flight out was at 9 pm too. We contacted the hotel in advance to see if they could arrange a later check out time that the usual 12. The initial answer was "yes", provided we pay 70 euro extra, a little greedy since we were arriving so late in the first place. Since we had no choice, we would have paid the amount but upon arrival, we were told that even this was no longer an option: "sorry, check out is 12".

Lobby:
Minimalist and unimpressive but this is quickly compensated once you get to the pool area (right outside). You'd be overwhelmed by the gorgeous view.

Room:
Very nice, I was quite pleased upon entering. We got room 216, blessed with amazing views of the pool and sea. It was generously spaced, thoughtfully designed, with a lovely balcony in addition. We loved the high-tech decisions about "do not disturb/make up room".
The TV-behind-the-mirror idea is a clear case of design over purpose. We tried to catch the F1 competition but watching TV during the day is virtually impossible. Furthermore, why are there speakers in the bathroom, is beyond me: you cannot turn the sound off and it is actually louder than in the room!
Bathroom could have certainly used better cleaning, notice my pictures. Housekeeping got progressively worse during our stay.

Noise, noise, NOISE:
My initial enthusiasm about the room faded away at 6:30, the very next morning. We slept with the door open and were brutally woken up by the sound of setting tables at the restaurant for breakfast. The banging of cutlery and plates was so unforgiving, I actually thought that it was loud on purpose. I could here it even with the door closed and ever since, we had to close the door in the evening and turn on the air conditioning. As a result, my fiance got a cold.
On 2 occasions sunbeds were being moved around by the staff after 11:30 pm. See the size of the sunbeds and imagine the noise.
I cannot say that I was big fan of the night entertainment either. I am uploading a video, which I shot from our room at 11 pm. You judge whether you like it, I guess this is according to personal preferences. I prefer the option of peace and quiet.

Beach:
It is not good, full of stones, impossible to enter without water shoes. We stayed at the pool, which was really really cold. Few people seemed to be braving the cold water even during the hottest days. It is also very windy, often all umbrellas had to be closed due to the strong winds. Obviously, this is not the hotel's fault, but I deem it very important and worth noting, if you consider going. Views, as I already mentioned, are amazing however great views are not our sole priority during beach holidays.

THE towel game:

The dreadful towel game is full ON at this hotel. Please notice on my pictures, taken from our balcony, that though there are only a couple of people at the pool, all bed are reserved!!! There are signs that reserving sunbeds is prohibited but this didn't seem to be properly policed! During our first 3 days I was refusing to give in and reserve beds, so we never got to lay at the beach (pool and beach included) due to the lack of a single available spot! On our last day I overheard another couple complain quite vocally at reception for the same reason and I agree: "if you have 300 guests, you need to have 300 sunbeds" (the numbers are an estimation by the other guests). Shame.

Food:

We picked the bed and breakfast rate because we didn't want to commit to the hotel buffet when there is a wonderful choice of local restaurants. I was blessing myself for the decision, because even breakfast was very very uninspiring. There was some variety but of average quality. The food we ordered during the day was better than the buffet but nothing to rave about. In addition, we never found a proper a la cart restaurant on the grounds, other than the snack bar. Very odd for a 5-star hotel and also inconvenient for us, as guests.
The coffee in room was by a brand I'd never heard before. A 5-star hotel can't provide quality coffee for its quests? Check out my pictures from the butter at the restaurant as well.

Service:

If I had to pick a single reason for rating this hotel with only 3 stars, this would be it. Service was so bad, I would have given even lower rating to the hotel if the room/grounds weren't so beautiful. It is a shame! Shame that such a well-designed, gorgeous hotel is ruined by the staff.

-the responses of the Manager to tripadvisor reviews are appalling! From my experience staff has to accept critique with grace and not argue with the customers. I only noticed this after having booked a room and I was dreading what I was getting myself into. Fears were justified.

-staff at breakfast: although they try to be polite, they are clearly overworked and constantly on edge. I heard the employees argue with each other on a few occasions. Another thing I heard, to my displeasure, was a waiter calling a guest "an old fox" - there is friendly and playful, and then there is borderline inappropriate.

-service at snack bar: some of the staff barely speak any English, or Greek for that matter. We often had lunch at the snack bar by the pool. On our last day we ordered coffee, which never arrived and a pizza, which arrived 40 minutes later. The coffee was nevertheless included in the bill and once we raised the issue (having finished, ready to pay and go), the waitress asked: "I bring it now?"

-concierge: annoying to say the least. I was once sitting on a sofa in the lobby, having snuggled there with one leg up (having made sure my shoe is not touching the furniture though). The concierge came to say: sorry, you can't sit like that. Who was I hurting? I actually saw another girl lay on the sofa on a different occasion! So, when I have lunch at the snack bar, I have to look at topless women sunbathing at the pool just a couple of meters away from my table and this is fine, but what I did somehow bothered someone? Congrats about priorities!

-INTERNET: virtually non-existent. The "free internet" applies only to common grounds (you need to pay for internet in your room) but it is so slow, you can't load a page to save your life. There is a password, which is supposed to be changed every morning, but it is changed whenever someone so pleases. So once, when it was changed during the afternoon, we called reception to ask for the new one. Answer: "sorry, for security purposes I cannot tell you over the phone". Are you kidding me ? Please, excuse my ignorance, I had no idea we were staying at the Pentagon.

The only people that left positive impressions: girls at pool bar, the two waiters at the pool and the man that is responsible for the towels.

Destination itself:

Very nice! I loved this island. I've been to Crete and Rhodes and though they are better developed, Karpathos carries the traditional Greek charm. The whole island is blessed with amazing topography and hence - views. Do yourself a favor, rent a car and drive to the west coast, sunset is fantastic! Appella beach is worth the dangerous trip there but my personal favorite was Amoopi - positively the best beach on the island.
Check out the best restaurant - Acropolis, in Pigadia town. Amazing food and service, staff at Alimounda could learn one or two things from them.

So this is it, long but I hope informative. Would I go back? Probably not, especially if the service issues remain unresolved. I am curious to see the manager's snarky reply this time, give it your best shot, sir, entertain me.

Room Tip: Away from restaurant! It is noisy.
10 Thank Dess I
Kfar Vradim
Reviewed 10 July 2014

It is probebly the fanciest hotel in Karpathos. We stayed in this hotel with our extended family of 19 people. The hotel is new and everything is very modern. Pool area is very nice with a "never ending". We had breakfast and dinner and you could find just about anything you desired and of very good quality. rooms are spacious with a safe. The in-mirror TV is not so great but you can make due. Check in was very fast even tough we came by bus with a group.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank daveur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karpathos Town (Pigadia)
Finiki View
Finiki View
#1 of 2 in Finiki
Astron Hotel - Bungalows
Astron Hotel - Bungalows
#9 of 16 in Karpathos Town (Pigadia)
Royal Beach Hotel
Royal Beach Hotel
#4 of 4 in Arkassa
Sound of the Sea
Sound of the Sea
#4 of 16 in Karpathos Town (Pigadia)
Alex Hotel
Alex Hotel
#5 of 16 in Karpathos Town (Pigadia)
Apolis Hotel
Apolis Hotel
#1 of 10 in Ammopi

Been to Alimounda Mare? Share your experiences!