“We enjoyed our stay here.”

JayaSinghe Holiday Resort
JayaSinghe Holiday Resort
Ranked #27 of 42 Kataragama B&B and Inns
Wellington, New Zealand
“We enjoyed our stay here.”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I have read all the previous reviews on this place, some of which I disagree with, although there has been some time since the reports were done.
First impressions count, and as we were 4 weary travellers looking for a place to bed down, this was not the only place we looked at.
We were welcomed by smiling staff and they were more than happy to negotiate a reasonable price for our stay.
The rooms were clean and tidy, bathroom facilities likewise. I must admit our air con unit was past its use by date, and we turned this off during the night because of the noise.
We experienced no problems with mosquitos in our room. And one must remember where they are. Mosquitos are heavy in this area.
We all swam in the pool prior to dinner, it was clean and well maintained.

Being european, a diner menu was given to us, which was very limited. But we were experiencing Sri Lanka, so we asked for a local menu. And I must say it was fantastic, plenty of food, tasty, and were waited upon by staff that was focused on pleasing us.
Breakfast was just as good , traditional.
We had a brief but very enjoyable stay and will return again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank winoNewZealand

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Paris, France
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel because a Sri Lankan friend recommended it. I agree with the traveller who wrote about blood stains on pillow cases. This is the dirtiest and worst maintained hotel I have ever stayed in Kataragama. The price for a double was over 100 USD. The bathroom is old and dirty. The switches of the fan and the aircon are almost coming off. The beds are old, the mattresses are stinking and dirty. There may be bed bugs. The sheets are thin for the bugs to creep through. The pool is not clear (not enough chemicals and not well maintained). The food was ok and only Sri Lankan food. It is meant for Sri Lankan tour groups. I have to admit that Sri Lankans do not mind the standards but I do not recommend any "non Sri Lankan" travellers to stay there. It is a budget hotel in disguise of a hotel in the likes of Mandara Rozen. A terrible deception! (staff are friendly!)

Room Tip: Rooms are small, stuffy and dirty. I would not pay more than 2000 Ruppees for these rooms which have...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank gitane_in_zim

Travellers are raving about these Kataragama hotels

moratuwa
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I went there b'coz of my friend recommend me that place.I tell, he told me the correct place to have such good service & freedom what we need.i went jayasinghe holiday resort with my wife & my family people.we took 3 double rooms.those are really comfortable & such a good fair price.every staff member of them are really friendly.we have such a good meals at there.they are always being kind to prepare our meals as we need.I'm really appreciate that.my self & my family enjoyed in there swimming pool more than a 1 hour.i must say there chargers are really fair.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank sanjya k
Nugegoda
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights with my family. One double and one triple room were booked on HB basis. About 2.5 KM from Kataragama town.
Small room with a very basic bed. 14" TV set with few local channels. Fan which goes full speed and cannot be controlled. Very old A/C which does not cool the room properly even after several hours. No telephone to communicate with front office (However there is a emergency bell if pressed, one of the room boys will come running in 15 seconds). Basic toilet with hot water. If you keep the door open for several minutes in the evening, mosquitoes will fill up the room.
Buffet with basic food. Not much difference in two breakfasts (bread, string hoppers with few curries) and dinners (samba rice, noodles, dhal curry, chicken, boiled vegetables and few more) . Fly in the soup which my wife found (Did not complained to the management but simply asked one of the boys to remove the soup). One of the reviewers has complained about not having cuttle fish as said in meal plans. It was obvious that what management meant was not real cuttle fish but a deviled, cuttle fish flavored and shaped soya meat which they served for both dinners. I ordered lunch on the second day and they charged me 500 rupees each. Charged even for water served at meals (Better take your own water bottles). An evening teas costs 100 each
Poll is small and without a life guard but OK. Free WiFi is available.
Mr. Jayasinghe and his support staff is friendly and efficient although one of them made a pretty bad effort of washing my car with few scratches and soap stains.
With all mediocrity, they charge 10000+ for double room with HB and 12000+ for triple room with HB and a 10% service charge.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank ruchiraranga
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Few point to note about this hotel:

1)Blood stain on pillow case
2) Mosquitoes in the environment
3) Dirty bathroom
4) Aircond noisy but never function as a aircond at all.
5) The full meal plan has no cuttle fish and prawn as said in the meal plan
6) The bed is rotten old, torn bed sheets and smelly
7) Owner Mr Jayasinghe is very friendly and live in the premise.
8) Expensive for the place
9) Beer very expensive compare to other places in Sri Lanka
10) Swimming pool dirty

Overall stay here only if no other alternative around...last resort

Thanks