“Yum”

Cuisines: Seafood, International, Fusion, Sri Lankan
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I can be a bit of a fussy eater at times and was a little worried about some of the ingredients mentioned on the menu, but both times I visited I was more than impressed. The Chicken was my favourite but their take on a burger was also excellent. The staff were attentive but not annoying and the chef/owner even cooked us up a few tasters to try out which was nice. Will happily return.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a superb holiday, based at the excellent Fortress Hotel in Koggola, south of Galle and had spotted Cafe Ceylon on Trip Advisor, less than ten minutes away by tuk-tuk on the coast road. It's setting is a very pretty verandah in a lush garden.

We had two meals there - a dinner and a lunch- and both were excellent. Above all, it was the use and balance of spices that made the difference; everything had lovely, rich flavours.

On our first visit, as a starter,we shared a plate of "har-gow" prawn dumplings (gyoza-style) with lunu miris dipping sauce, which has to be in my top ten taste-thrills. My wife then had their Bonito burger. I had a taste (the portion was too large for her to finish): delicious and succulent with lots of different flavours in the background. It was accompanied by sweet potato wedges (deep fried in spices) that neither of us could leave alone. I had the steamed whole fish, steeped in a herby soup. Wonderful. We shared Hakuru bananas for dessert.

On our next visit, I couldn't resist the prawn dumplings, so we did a repeat - they were so good with that dipping sauce . I then had sesame-crusted tuna, which I loved, and my wife had stuffed baked "snake" gourd, which she really enjoyed - once again because of the blend of spices in the stuffing.

In May, when we went, the restaurant had not yet got their alcohol licence (check before you go - you can always bring a bottle), so we tried their non-alcoholic Minty Pineapple tropical drink, which was wonderfully fresh-tasting.

Service was excellent: charming, efficient and cheerful. The meals cost just under £10 per head

If you are in the area, this restaurant should not be missed

Reviewed 3 April 2014

We had great food that was quite different than we found at other places in SL. With a bigger group we had problems of not being served at the same time and the quality of the food seamed less. Place is such a surprise if you enter. Stylish setting in a huge yard. Sometimes there is no wine or beer. You can bring your own. No problem. Go there for lunch or diner.

1  Thank Frans F
jaw1987, Public Relations Manager at Cafe Ceylon, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Frans F,

thank you for your review. We at Cafe Ceylon are glad that you enjoyed your meal and hope that you will visit us again.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Hi everybody! I just have good words for the staff in Cafe Ceylon, as everybody in sri Lanka who is super lond they weren't less, the opened their doors to us offering an amazing stay for 2 nights which they were unfortunately too short because we loved it! They gave us an amazing villa for us with beautiful views, and even if Cafe Ceylon didnt have a pool that wasnt an inconvenient causs the beach was literally crossing the road, AMAZING BEACH!! The room was super clean they served us with an incredible service bringing us the first day a lovely papaya juice called energizer omg how much i miss it!! The food was incredible and when i say incredible i mean it im a lover of food as my boyfriend we really enjoyed it!! We came back for dinner while we were already staying in another place! Imagine! The manager of the restaurant had chats with us while we were having dinner and if for somebody can be disturbing for us was really nice we really felt at home, really comfortable! Just say a big thank you for everything! And wish to come back soon!!! Susi and Chris the young couple who travelled in February 2014

Dear Susi & Chris,

we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We always are glad to have food lovers enjoy our food. We do hope that you will come and stay with us again, this time for a longer period of time so that you can try everything on the menu :).

Reviewed 28 March 2014

A very new cafe , around 45 minutes by tuk tuk from galle town. The food was good as was the service. The menu was limited, but they said it will definitely get bigger. All the best to the team. Child friendly as lots of place for kids to play.

Dear Sumith,

thank you for your review. Yes our menu will change as this is just our initial "soft opening" menu.

We hope that you come and visit us again with your children.