HOTEL - highly recognized by architectural community for its unique design, the hotel is at the same time very cosy and welcoming and is a pure pleasure for the eye and senses. Huge fortress like reception hall brings a lot of air and openness in the establishment, and you are close to the ocean all the time and wherever you are.
ROOMS - we have been upgraded 3 times in the hotel, which was due to our late booking and our desire to stay there by any means, so we were really jumping from room to room and saw all types of rooms in the hotel (including presidential suite). We were stunned when entered the STANDARD room - super-contemporary amenities, spatious room, ipod music, separately standing bathroom, huge chillout sofa - very clean design. View on the ocean and marvellously lighted pool area - superb. The BEACH ROOM is located on the first floor and while it is located closer to the ocean, I did not see many advantages as compared to the standard room. Some of the beach rooms have a pool inside, however the water in the pool is quite cold, so I would really suggest the standard room or at least one without the pool, since it provides additional humidity in the room. Well, the presidential suite with a separate roof pool is amazing - I will not comment on that.
BREAKFAST - beautiful selection of local and european food.
BEACH - to the left of the hotel the beach is often crowded with locals, but they do not mind and do not bother if you join them for a swim, we even managed to join some dancing party on the beach and were very much welcomed. That is also the only place to swim net to the hotel. A lot of hotel guests were going there without any problem. To the right of the hotel there is a marvellous neverending stretch of white beach, where nobody swims because of strong waves, but you can do amazing long walks along the beach.
SERVICE - everybody's comment was that for the prices you pay the service is very slow, though everybody is trying hard and in the end everything was perfect. It seems like personnell has not been trained very well. Waiting for drinks at the pool for 30 minutes - was pretty standard situation.
SPA - a little overpriced and not very professional. But you can always go into the exterior spa area available to all guests with 2 saunas and jakuzzi.
I loved the place and whenever I will go to Sri Lanka, I am sure, I will stay 1-2 days here to sink into pure and overwhelming luxury.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Fortress Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Resort & Spa Sri Lanka/Koggala