We arrived at the fortress after spending seven days travelling around Sri Lanka and were looking forward to be able to settle for a week..... And what a place to settle!!
We had a very warm welcome everyone stops to greet you with a smile and the tour of the Hotel on arrival was a great touch some say it was what you would expect from a 5 star but its certainly not what u always get. The rooms themselves were very modern, contemporary and spacious with extra little touches such a choice of showers and an IPod docking station. We had a first floor Ocean View which was perfect apparently the ground floor rooms are more expensive and more sought after but you can have people sunbathing right outside so I'd save your pennies and go for 1st floor.
I like the sun but it doesn't like me so I always need a good level of shade and it was never hard to find. The pool attendants were great they were always there to help you out as quick as you stepped out eyeing up the best spot for you once they knew what you were after.
We like luxury hideaways but we also get a bit restless and need to explore sometimes and before we went were a bit concerned we'd feel a bit secluded (even at times other guests said to us as being a Lil younger was it boring for us?) but we really didn't feel that way. It was so easy to get a good Tuk Tuk driver (but not the ones opposite the hotel they are too expensive, trust the ones on the beach the ones that come across friendly....really are we met some great ones that did us some great value trips at all times of day and night) and its easy to get to many other great little places Unawatuna is not far at all and got some nice little restaurants if you wanna get out for a night we even found the happy banana beach bar with a disco... Great people watching!!
Having said that we ate most nights at the hotel and despite other reviews saying food was ok we found it fantastic, from a great choice of breakfast great stone baked pizzas for lunch and a wide variety of dinners we never had a bad one and great value for money (admittedly we much preferred the a la carte options to buffet nights it was the best food we had in Sri Lanka. If I had to be picky from a cpl where i have a sweet tooth and my husband likes a good lager the only thing I would say is the deserts and alcohol are overpriced in relation to the rest of the country and that itself maybe forced us to eat out a couple of times.
Yes the Spa is similarly priced to uk prices but its worth the money normally when they say a treatment is 90 mins it never quite is by the time they've got u in and changed etc if anything here you got a Lil bit long plus there is a ice jacuzzi/steam room/sauna area to chill in too.
All in all a beautiful country and a stunning hotel well worth it's price. I would definitely go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelbag, Holiday Gems, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your The Fortress Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Resort & Spa Sri Lanka/Koggala