We've just spent a wonderful week at this hotel. It's quite a drive from the airport (3hours) although will get much quicker when the motorway is extended. Some of the traffic on the roads was quite chaotic and thankfully the hotel driver was calm, experienced and didn't take any risks. Whilst the hotel is near a road you cant hear the traffic from the hotel grounds - it really is a haven of tranquility. We had a great welcome and were offered a tour of the resort as well as a choice of welcome drinks. There are 2 large spotlessly clean pools with plenty of sun beds.
The spa comes VERY highly recommended and is reasonably priced- Balinese massage, head massage etc. there is a daily special offer which is worth looking into. We visited about 4 times.
The rooms were clean and spacious we had booked a duplex as the larger suite was not available and it was absolutely fine for all 4 of us. 2 TVs and DVD rental was a nice touch as well with good choices. Both of our rooms had sea views and we had a balcony and our own sun loungers in the garden overlooking the sea.
There is a wide selection of food and its good quality. We would recommend the half board which comes with a generous allowance per person each day which you can use towards the fine dining restaurant on request.
The hotel has little squirrels running around which are really cute and the children loved them. The beach does have a few locals trying to sell you tours - whilst a lot cheaper than the hotel we decided to go with the hotel tours as we knew the vehicles were well maintained (actually almost brand new).
Arjuna Madushanka was a stand out star employee who looked after us brilliantly all week. Nothing was too much trouble and when our youngest son had a stomach ache ( from swallowing sea water whilst boogie boarding) he brought him coconut juice and green bananas which did actually make him feel so much better.
Living in Dubai we do have high expectations and the fortress certainly lived up to these. The real differentiator is the hotel employees and their sheer friendliness and willingness to be flexible to make your stay enjoyable. THANKS to all who looked after us so well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Expedia, Ebookers, Holiday Gems, Odigeo, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Fortress reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Sri Lanka/Koggala