We just returned after a week stay at The Fortress.
On the whole, we much enjoyed our stay in this 'Small Luxury Hotel'.
I don't think that readers of trip advisor like to read long stories, so I prefer to enumerate the positive and rather negative impressions.
First, the positive side:
* the building of the hotel is very characteristic with a stylish combination of old Dutch colonial + Sri Lankese architecture and design
* the standard room (Fortress Room) was very spacious and comfortable (with several stylish design elements such as very beautiful hardwood flooring) with several amenities such as a well equiped Bose music installation
* the majority of the staff members were very helpful and friendly
* the situation of the hotel at the shore is lovely; it's also possible to make long strolls alongside the beach
* there is a beautiful (however small) garden around the swimming pool
* we could appreciate the Heat restaurant; nice cuisine, there is a good choice of affordable wines
The rather negative points which need some improvement:
* having said that the room was very stylish, we must admit that the furnishing of the bathroom (bath, chests...) lacked an ergonomic approach
* when you really hate a limited view from your room, you should better take an ocean or beach room; the Fortress Room only offers a rather stupid view at a high wall, and it was too hot to sit there
* there are certainly not enough seats outside the restaurant area allowing you to have a drink (coctail/apéritif) in the evening
* the restrooms of the main restaurant could bear some air-cooling given the tropical heat
* when we made reservation for The Fortress (half board), we tought that dinner was always to choose from the menu: it seemed however that there was very (to) often a buffet. When taking something à la carte, you have to pay a supplement ....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Expedia, Travelbag, Holiday Gems, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Fortress Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Resort & Spa Sri Lanka/Koggala