After trundling all around the country for 2 weeks, we were grateful to spend a few days relaxing here. Rooms were beautiful, modern and spacious. We had a nice view of the ocean. The restaurant, pool, and common areas were gorgeous. I especially loved the twinkling lights in the pool in the evening - looked like stars! We were considering staying at the Amangalla, but glad we stayed here as the property was more relaxing - overlooking the ocean and not in the middle of the town and much cheaper.
We only found a couple issues with the resort. First the food was not so great; however, the drinks and ambiance at the restaurant were quite good. Second, the beach was not usable - there were "danger: no swimming" signs posted. The water is very rough and it appears that the 2004 tsunami eroded a large part of the beach - waves come right up to the wall fronting the resort on a normal day. Also, all the beaches in Sri Lanka must be public as there were groups of people standing by the gate from the resort to the beach ALL DAY trying to sell all manner of things to guests. It was impossible to even take a walk on the beach without them following and harassing you the entire time. In fact, it became a bit of a joke because they were there staring up at our room as soon as we got up in the morning to after dark. They would look for people to appear in the window or outside near the beach and then start frantically motioning and yelling at you in Sinhalese.
Would recommend to stay here vs. Galle to decompress. Galle is only a 10min drive away for a day trip. Modern highway (best road in the country!) ensures Colombo is less than 2 hours away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Fortress Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Resort & Spa Sri Lanka/Koggala