The Fortress Resort & Spa
Cantaloupe Aqua(Unawatuna)
Insight Resort(Ahangama)
JH Villa(Talpe)
1,589 results
All reviewsocean roombose sound systemtuk tukseafood buffetsri lankajacuzzi bathindian oceaninfinity poolour honeymoonluxury hotelbaby turtlesyala national parkamazing hotelopen planday bedhuge bedwalk in shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Recently toured Sri Lanka with Kuoni and opted to spend 4 days here to recuperate from the tour and returning home.

The Fortress is a fantastic hotel and our Sea View Garden room was wonderful. I have lived in smaller flats the room was so big! The room was well designed with an all mod cons TV, DVD, Ipod loaded, an enourmous bed, lounge sofa area and possibly the largest bathroom encountered in a hotel with Shower enclosure around two metres.

The hotel itself is really comfortable and well laid out with a spa, gym, tea lounge and restaurant.

The restaurant served a high standard a la carte menu most days and whilst not Michelin standard it tasted good and was well presented. Buffet days were good and I feel that I ate my weight in Lobster on Seafood night.

The Spa was comfortable and pretty average for this part of world with a range of treatments include Ayurvedic ones. Prices weren't cheap but 5 star hotels usually aren't but they were comparable to UK prices and maybe a little cheaper than that. These things have the value you place on them so cost is relative.

The staff were really friendly and helpful and delivered competent service at a high level, I think they have 1.5 staff for every guest. Sometimes the balance was lost though where I felt occasionally they were overly attentive - probably 1 person asking if food is good is about right 3 people chatting to you might be a little much. Even so it wasn't too much too often.

The service around the pool was generally pretty good with the basics but the drink service sometimes could have been more attentive, still nobody died of thirst so that was lucky.

All in all across my many travels I would list this hotel pretty high up my list and on this tour 5 hotels it was the best.

Room Tip: Room 6 was awesome
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Excellent stay at this hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. All facilities are in place. Nice room with seaview. Pool is amazing. Beach is little rough with rocks on the water. View is amazing. SPA is too expensive on the regular basis.
Recommend for couples or family.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank garminman300
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This was the last hotel in our two week tour of this fantastic county, described as 'The Honeymoon Hotel'. Having stayed in three hotels prior to this we must say that this was the best. The staff were excellent and even arranged for freshly baked gluten free bread for my wife. The food was great with the full board package we had. Grounds were mazing with a hammock strung between two palm tress right outside our beach front room. the beach was amazing and a great walk if you wanted. The room really had the wow factor with jacuzzi bath with lights and jets making it all that bit more special. A bose speaker system came with the room with the hotel even supplying an IPOD packed with music. The gym was good with equipment that was all that was needed for your use and a fitness instructor if you so wished. The only gripe we would have was the price of drinks with a £6 bottle of wine back home costing 25 there and even the local beer more expensive that all the other hotels we had stayed at in Sri Lanka. That said we were so sad to leave and would recommend this to anyone wanting that wow hotel for their honeymoon.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a beach front room but as there are only 40 rooms you really can't lose out, although beach front ground floor is the way to go.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My female friend and I visited the Fortress when staying nearby in order to use the spa, which was recommended to us by our own hotel. When we booked our two 90 minute treatments by telephone we asked if we could then have lunch at the Fortress and use the pool for a couple of hours - we thought we would be nicely relaxed after our time in the spa so it would be nice to stay put for a couple of hours before getting back in a tuk tuk. (Our hotel was gorgeous and also had a lovely pool - but was about 20 minutes drive away, and did not have a spa). The lady we spoke to said yes, of course. When we arrived (about 30 minutes early) we checked in at the spa (we were escorted to the spa brusquely by the man at the gate as if we were trespassers - little did we know what was to come), checked again it was ok to use the pool (answer: yes) and went to sit by the pool for a little while until the treatment room was ready. Within seconds aggressive and unfriendly pool staff arrived to eject us as non hotel guests - the pool was almost empty and there were loads and loads of empty beds. We explained our arrangement with the spa, and that we would be buying lunch and drinks, snacks etc, would only be there for a short time and were met with utter rudeness and a total "computer says no" attitude, like we were riff raff interlopers trying to grab a freebie. One very burly and hostile man from the pool then followed us to the spa like we were criminals, hung around in the spa reception, staring at us angrily the whole time. I asked that he left us alone as we were feeling threatened - when we went downstairs to the spa treatment room, he was still lurking there, staring at us angrily! Not very relaxing at all. After the treatment (which was very good, and the ladies were lovely) we went to pay our bill and were met by the spa manager - who basically told us we had lied about being told we could use the pool, I literally could not believe it. Her rudeness was extraordinary. I pointed out that we were staying in a lovely hotel nearby, were not some kind of freeloaders as we had our own facilities at our hotel, but it is common practice to be able to buy lunch and sit by the pool for a bit in most places when you have just paid for two of the more expensive spa treatments on the menu - and we would not have bothered to come if we knew it was all going to be so much of a big problem! Eventually she backed down (her reasoning was all over the place to be honest and it was all a bit cringeworthy) and we went back to the pool. Then the manager came over (a lady) and again asked us to leave - even though the pool was still mostly empty (it was low season - April). When I gave her a piece of my mind about how extraordinarily bad the service was, she relented and grudgingly said we could remain at the pool. However by this time we really felt thoroughly unwelcome and exhausted by all the hassle so decided just to leave anyway, and went back to our own lovely hotel for lunch and a swim instead. I should mention we were very smartly dressed, quiet and unassuming and are used to using the spa facilities of lots of much higher end properties - I really have never encountered such rudeness or utter, utter stupidity, and in a property that, sorry folks to be uncomplimentary, is really nothing special! I will be returning to Sri Lanka, but I will be giving the Fortress a wide berth.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This place has got to be the best hotel in Sri Lanka. The service was second to none, and the staff lovely. Stayed on honeymoon for 11 nights and really enjoyed every minute. The rooms are large, comfortable and well equipped. The bathroom is out of this world - I would like something similar at home!

Food was good, although most evenings we ate out either in Galle or Unawatuna, as the hotel food, although excellent, was a little pricey... as are the drinks, compared to "the outside world".

We were lucky to have a superb tuk-tuk driver who looked after us. I would thoroughly recommend you contact him - Gemunu Lakmal +94779410751 e-mail gemunu1989@gmail.com. He can arrange tours over the island to rainforests, whale watching, safari and airport collection and drop offs.

Lovely place. I would like to return one day.

Room Tip: We had room 24. It wasn't facing the sea, but that didn't bother us.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple