We spent 3 nights in October at The Fortress and it would have been really nice if it wasn't for the nosy staff constantly checking up on you or interfering in your business, and the overpriced but merely average food.
At check-in staff did everything they could to accommodate our wishes and changed our rooms from the one with a plunge pool (who on earth wants a plunge pool in the bedroom when outside humidity is 80%), to a room with a day bed. Gorgeous room, we loved the elevated bed and the open plan bathroom. The lay-out of the hotel and grounds are beautiful.
Throughout our stay we constantly felt watched by the staff, not in a friendly, but more in an intrusive way. We'd have to say good morning/afternoon/evening to every single staff member we encountered, to some more then once because they all seemed to be on auto-pilot. We arranged our own transportation and were constantly asked where we went and with who, as if they were anxious to miss out on the commission they receive when sending guests to certain shops or restaurants.
At the restaurant nobody seemed to know what they were doing. 5 different people would come say hello and ask us what to drink, but the drinks wouldn't come until halfway dinner or breakfast. For a five star hotel the food was mediocre, what Sri Lankan chef cannot prepare a decent curry? Our best meal was on the last night, when we decided to order room service because we just couldn't handle the staff anymore. The view from our terrace is the same as from the restaurant and we were finally able to relax and really enjoy the surroundings.
This hotel really has potential, but they have to hire another chef and train all other staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelbag, Agoda, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Fortress Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Resort & Spa Sri Lanka/Koggala