We travelled to Sri Lanka, in May for our wedding. It was very hard to choose the hotel, but after seeing all the good reviews on tripadvisor, we decided for the fortress.
It took us nearly 3 hours drive from Colombo to the hotel. As soon as we arrive, we realized why the name Fortress. The doors were amazing.
We were received by Gayani, the person who organised our wedding.
The fresh towels and the cold drink were a must after our arrival. It was hot and humid.
We were taken to our room, which was on the first floor overlooking the Indian sea. How good it was to wake up to the sound of the ocean. The room was enormous. The bed so big and was decorated nearly every day, which was a very pleasant surprise. The rest of the room had all the amenities that you could wish for. There is even an Ipod dock in the room.
The food was outstanding, we went on a full board basis, we only had to pay for the drinks, which gave us peace of mind. The food is expensive, if you want to have a special meal. But it is worth the money.
Sunil, one of the waiters was absolutely amazing, always very friendly, helpful and always smiling. We miss him on his day off. All the staff were always very pleasant, and helpful.
Our wedding was very well organised, least the photographers, which were not so organised. I wish I had taken a photographer with me, because the groom has lots of photos alone before the ceremony, and the bride was utterly forgotten. I don't have not even one photo alone... which made the whole experience least satisfactory. But apart from that lack of organization with the photographers, everything was organised by Gayani, our flowers, the cake, the music, they even got someone to help us, to broadcast the ceremony via skype, so thank you for that.
The ceremony was on the beach, which was our idea, the weather was amazing that day. The beach has this great white sand. We were able to release some turtles into the sea, which I think is a very nice touch.
The whole experience was amazing. Everyone was trying to make us fell very welcome and unique.
Would definitely recommend this hotel to whoever wants to spend a perfect holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Holiday Gems, Destinology, Travelbag, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Fortress reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Sri Lanka/Koggala