My husband and I (Kiri and Matt) stayed at the fortress in september and had our wedding during a 11 day stay. It was the perfect setting for a perfect wedding. We arrived after a long transfer (which neither of us minded as it gave us a chance to view everything we would have missed if we didn't leave the hotel) to the warmest welcome and champagne! Forget what everyone has said before, THE FORTRESS IS FANTASTIC, it is simply bliss, the perfect place to unwind, relax, you know it's good when you spend the next 2 months wishing you were back there. The best parts:
1. The FOOD is some of the best we have ever eaten there is so much choice and in our opinion it is all beautifully presented and tasty. We went full-board so had no worries regarding cost of dishes (recommend doing this)
2. The STAFF are just amazing. Susantah "the bar manager" made our stay even more special - organising unique cocktails for us, especially kiri's kiss for our wedding day!! Guyani the wedding co-ordinator could not have been more accomodating to our wishes for the big day, the flowers, wedding cake, hair dressers were just brilliant and v.well organised as you would expect.
3. The ROOM. We booked a beach room and were upgraded to ocean loft suite on arrival - perfect for our wedding stay. We were honestly speechless whilst being shown around, it was quite amazing.
4. The LOCATION. The beach is just beside the hotal and even though the sea is dangerous to swim we went for a quick dip to the left of the hotel, behind a coral reef with the locals which made our holiday, they are very friendly people if a little cheeky!!
5. The POOL. One word, awesome. It's massive, clean and looked after by the brilliant staff.
6. The WEATHER. It was hot but not oppressive, even when it rains your glad for the air to clear.
DO NOT listen to the moaners, they are either very very very fussy or live in the height of luxury every day of their lives. This place is stunning. We spoke with many, many people and The Fortress is considered the best in Sri Lanka. If you want to escape and relax go here. The hotel only caters for about 80 people so it never gets too busy and you don't get swamped by kids. Anyone looking at a foreign wedding then The Fortress is perfect, quiet but exquisite.
P.S Hi Phil, Hi Hannah !! Hi Stan !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Fortress Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Resort & Spa Sri Lanka/Koggala