The Fortress Resort & Spa
Koggala Beach Hotel(Koggala)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$66
US$73
US$70
  • Pool
US$65
  • Beachfront
South Lake Resort(Ahangama)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$100
US$88
Agoda.com
JH Villa(Talpe)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,587 results
All reviewsocean roombose sound systemtuk tukseafood buffetsri lankajacuzzi bathindian oceaninfinity poolour honeymoonluxury hotelbaby turtlesyala national parkamazing hotelopen planday bedhuge bedwalk in shower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 August 2014

the most amazing hotel i have ever stayed... and i have been to many all over the world.
we were firstly upgraded to a 2 floor room in the hotel with our very own plunge pool, garden, living room, sound system and ipod, and most of all our very own BUTLER!!
could not have asked for a better stay here.
the food was amazing, had the Sri Lankan buffet here on our first night, started off with fire dancers in the lobby of the hotel, they were brilliant... the food itself was gorgeous.
the next morning we had breakfast and the spread was lovely, especially the cakes!
you must go and see the turtles within the hotel whilst staying here by the swimming pool, very cute and small.
on one of the days we stayed here i got extremely sun burnt and my legs became very sore so unfortunately we had to stay in and get room service but our Butler was amazing, i rang and asked if there was any Aloe Vera available within the spa or shop but there wasn't any so we did contact the Butler and he was brilliant and went out of the hotel and cut down fresh aloe Vera leaves from the tree and brought them in with cold flannels.. could not have asked for better service.
this is a must stay hotel if visiting Galle.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Georgina P
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My new wife and I are near to the end of an 18 day honeymoon tour of Sri Lanka and have been very impressed with the service, food, and welcoming nature of the country. The Fortress is a stunning building, and location and reception staff very professional. Cracks started to show with towels being taken and not replaced, internal door handle pulling off causing a major fire hazard, a six course set meal turning out to be a 5 course and no one actually knowing what we were eating with a silent and library like atmosphere but a live pianist outside with the non set menu diners. Advice is to not go 'fine dining' or set menu as the staff seemed much better in the main restaurant which had a much better atmosphere. The staff did not seem too bothered about 5* service with one member answering his mobile and ignoring my wife in the middle of showing her to the washroom. This place is a very near miss of a top 5* hotel only let down by the poor service, lack of basic detail i.e. no towels (although lots of extra detail such as petals on bed etc), and needs a slight lick of paint. Easily remedied but will not return given we stayed at places like the Tea Factory and Kandy House which were superior in terms of ambience, service, staff, food and price.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simple007
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Booked this accommodation based on TripAdvisor reviews. Wasn't disappointed. I reckon this resort is the best place I've stayed in Sri Lanka. Amazing service and friendly people throughout the resort who are ever ready to assist you. When we arrived, we were told our room wasn't ready yet and it wasn't a big deal to us as we were engulfed by the amazing view the beach had to offer. We were given cold refreshing towels and welcome drinks. We decided to have an early lunch and ordered a pizza margarita and a bottle of wine. Pizza tasted great. And we were informed our room was ready (once again the personal service was amazing). The room was beyond amazing. A Jacuzzi cum bath tub that was centered in the toilet and the "open" concept of the toilet was just mind blowing. The dual shower in the shower room was spacious and the water pressure was good. We booked a beach view room and every penny spent was worthy. We were guided by a lovely staff who explained and guided our room with a short introduction.
Had dinner at the restaurant and the sri lankan food was exquisite albeit a bit spicy for me.my partner had the rack of lamb which was equally good. There was a pianist who played while we were having dinner and it made it all the more a romantic getaway. Following day, we had a buffet breakfast which had a decent spread out with an omelette, pancake, and hopper station and more. All in all, service and provision and presentation of the resort was great. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Quit the hotels and book this resort.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My biggest complaint is the price. It is a fantastic hotel but it comes at a great cost. A visit to a holiday booking site will tell you that you can easily spend about £400 per night for the pleasure of staying here. It's about a third of that price for locals. Unfair (and not the norm in other parts of Srilanka) but at least the price is not about a tenth of what they charge foreigners which happens in some of the tourist sites we went to. Having gotten that part of the review out of the way. . . Phew. I can concentrate on the rest. I will mention the price once more but other than that, I am letting it go. We stayed for two nights in October. I wish I could have stayed for a couple more nights and maybe I will at some point in the future after seriously saving up just for it.

The service. Wow. Now it is not unusual to get friendly service in Srilanka. The country has a fair bit of experience with the tourist trade so you should expect good service. However, the service is at the Fortress was above and beyond what was expected. Questions were answered, assistance was given and welcoming smiles were freely dispersed. We travelled with a four year old a four month old and the interaction and entertainment given to the kids was heart warming. The best way to get to any set of parents is essentially thorough how happy people make the kids and the staff certainly got to me. My four year old was interacted with playfully and my four month old cooed over dutifully. Smiles were flying all around just from that. We also has a cultural night entertainment with dancing on the first night we were there. Kandian dancers and a fire throwing/swallowing/balancing entertainment which my four year old loved as did the adults.

We stayed on the ground floor (booked it that way) so that we could just walk out onto the beach and pool. There are double glass doors from the room out to the pool and beach exactly what you would expect from a beach front hotel. The room were huge, beautifully decorated and had the most decadent furnishings. LOVED the bed. Even the sofa bed on which my four year old slept was wonderfully comfortable. The bathroom was GORGEOUS! A HUGE standalone tub with jacuzzi! A HUGE rain shower enclosed in a glass cubicle! It is seriously the best bathroom I have had the pleasure of using in a hotel in Srilanka! There was a TV in the hotel room but I don't think we ever used it while staying there. No mosquitos! That was a bonus.

The pool was just in front of the beach. It was beautiful. We spent lots of time there. We were also lucky enough to witness beautiful sunsets while we were there. The pool staff are very help in anticipating and bringing you drinks, towels, umbrellas and loungers which is rather nice when you are carrying a four month old around as well.

We tried a few spa treatments while we were there. Blissful experiences and again the staff was brilliant. My sister and I were so relaxed after it and the prices were well worth it and in keeping with what I would have expected.

The food was adequate but for the price of it I would have expected better. We didn't stay and eat all our meals there and we were lucky enough to have our own transportation so we could leave and get to alternative dining options. If they upped the ante on that front, this hotel would have my complete adoration. As it is, I find it slightly expensive but I would still want to come back repeatedly. Hopefully I do.

Room Tip: Definitely downstairs with doors leading outside.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank What2DoNext
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I really can't fault this hotel. Everything was spot on and we were impressed from the moment we arrived!
After a 12.5 hour flight 2.5 hour drive from Colombo airport, we were relieved when we finally made it to the hotel, it was grand from the moment you walked in and incredibly picturesque. A huge transition to the properties on the road outside the Fortress. We opted for the standard room, the Sea View was outside of our budget, and I must say, the room was nothing but standard, it was huge and absolutely charming, we were stunned. Room 20!

WIFI was available in room for the length of the stay and it worked all around the hotel.

The toiletries were great, and they even supplied a tooth brush with Colgate toothpaste, should you need it. Little home comforts always make a difference!

There isn't much to do right outside the hotel, but Galle is not too far and Unawattuna is great for restaurants at night.

Beware of the Tuk Tuk drivers that try and get your business at every opportunity, stay savvy and one step ahead. They always give you a high price as soon as they know you are staying at The Fortress. So make sure you barter. A return trip to Unawattuna bay should cost around 800 rupees, depending on wait time etc. One way 300-400.

If you get asked to take a trip to Koggola Lake, it is great to do, but please do no stop at the Herbalist, he is a con man! His business runs off mugging tourists off.

The Spa here is great, and they usually have lots of offers going on, which makes it even more cost effective. If you don't fancy a treatment, just go down even for the Jacuzzi, its very romantic and serene.

Great hotel, would definitely recommend and would definitely return.

If you would like a driver for your Trip to Sri Lanka please use our driver Piyal Ranjith, very affordable, knowledgeable and trustworthy. He was brilliant, I cannot rate him enough - you can contact him on 0094 77 482 8327.

He collected us from the Airport and drove us to Koggola the Fortress. He then collected us and drove us to Nuwara Eliya stayed there for 2 nights with us, and drove us to our last destination Bentota. Not once did he take advantage of us being tourists... A lot of drivers receive a commission for bringing tourists in to an establishment. He made sure he never took commission and that we got the best price...

Happy Holidays Everyone :)

Tip - don't let anyone know it is your first time in Sri Lanka... make sure you say you have been before otherwise they will rip you off.

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms looked great, but we were in room 20 with a private terrace (shaded) which and I think the rooms are slightly bigger and they are huge to say the least.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple