Upon arrival after an exhaustive amount of travel; plane from London and the long transfer by bus from the airport, we arrived at the gates of The Fortress. Thinking that we were in Galle, we still were another 10 mins drive from there. After we were brought champagne on arrival, we were brought around on a quick look of the facilities which included a spa, gym, bar, restaurants, outdoor pizza oven, gift shop, computer room, dvd and book library and finally to our room where our bags were already brought. We were in heaven, a beautiful room with a huge bed, a spacious balcony overlooking the ocean and an open plan bathroom. I loved the shower which could easily fit 6 people, and my wife fell in love with the jacuzzi bathtub. I loved the nicely stocked fridge in the room, while my remote control hoarding wife loved the tv, dvd, ipod and lights at the push of a button.
The staff were all terribly polite and could not be faulted in any way, they all have basic english at least and they try their hardest to look after you.
We both ate breakfast and dinner there every day and lunch most days if we were not on an excursion. The food was very varied and absolutely gorgeous, we wanted to try everything we could from Sri Lanka and during our 9 day stay we managed most things on the menu; all exquisite and tantalizing including curry for breakfast if you like.
We sat by the pool for the beginning days to recover from our journey. It is windy for most of the time and the sea is too rough to swim in but the hotel pool is absolutely huge and be wary that the sun is still strong, about 27 -31 degrees in August.
We went by tuk-tuk into Galle and our driver ended up being our well informed guide for our stay. We used him for everywhere we went including an elephant safari. The tuk-tuk drivers will be down on the beach looking for customers. They are stationed outside the front doors of The Fortress and pay a commission for the privilege.
Our driver was called Kushan and he was kind enough to bring us to his home for lunch on our 1 week anniversary of our marriage.
The only fault with the hotel is the price of the spa treatments, if they were cheaper we would have used it much more and sometimes the piped music during meals was terrible, otherwise it was a fantastic place to unwind and it was the saddest we both ever were when we had to leave.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Destinology, Ebookers, Holiday Gems, Agoda, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Fortress reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Sri Lanka/Koggala