We stayed in three similarly priced hotels in Sri Lanka and for us The Fortress was the clear winner. What for us madeThe Fortress stand out from the others?
Firstly, the staff are exceptionally well trained and polite. The hotel is incredibly beautiful and has excellent facilities namely spa treatments, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, enormous infinity pool, gym, shop, free WI-FI, and all in a calm and peaceful setting.
Our Ocean Room (US$450 per night including taxes) was large and spacious with balcony overlooking the Indian Ocean. The sound of the waves rolling in and out really added to the pleasure of staying such a room and waking up to a view of the ocean is something I think most can get used to quite quickly.
The restaurant had a large selection of different types of food including some really great Sri Lankan dishes. My girlfriend and I are vegetarian and had no issues in choosing some great options from their well thought out menu.
The spa centre has some superb therapists. We decided to have hour long aromatherapy massages every day...why not when you're on holiday! The costs of the treatment were probably similar to what you'd pay in London.
My only two gripes are as follows:
The WI-FI in my room often didn't work although it was always available closer to reception. For some reason our room network just didn't work and as a result we were relying on connecting to the more distant reception network.
The Tuk Tuk business outside is sadly on massive con. They claim their prices are unionised and fixed. This is utter rubbish and nothing more than a scam in attempting to charge tourists 3 to 4 times what they should pay on the back of the fact that they are staying or coming out of The Fortress Hotel.
They attempt to charge more than a London taxi travelling the same distance. If you simply stand firm and refuse to pay what's written on what they claim is non negotiable....surprise surprise the price becomes negotiable. You should be able to get into Galle for around 600-700RS although to save arguing longer than a minute or so you could agree 1,000RS. Feel free to take their laminated sheet with the 'non negotiable' prices and tell them what it's worth. We did and never paid any of their 'non negotiable' prices. Your ability to be negotiate will get better each time you get in one. I honestly don't mind paying anyone a fair price for fair journey but this is something that The Fortress should really change as they put this laminated price list in each room.
Okay, so leaving aside the Tuk Tuk racket and the room WIFI, this hotel is absolutely amazing and I would recommend it to anyone that's looking for luxury on the south coast of Sri Lanka.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Fortress Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Resort & Spa Sri Lanka/Koggala