After staying at the fortress for a week I can only say this is the most amazing place me and my family have ever stayed and probably will not find better. The negative reviews are pathetic, need to be completely disregarded and some people need to open their eyes and stop looking for petty faults!! The tuk tuk drivers are fine, you don't like their price you simply walk away, it's called bartering!!! And if you still don't get the price you want jump on the local bus for 8 rupees=4p!!!!
I had my wedding at the fortress and we had a life changing day and was more than we ever could dream, the rooms, venue and location are faultless. If you don't like the prices in the hotel (which are the same as been at home) then get a tuk tuk to Unatuayna there is the culture side of Sri Lanka, a bottle of tiger beer is about £1.50 and you can eat for £4pp. Also check and pudh with your travel agent, the flights normally are to columbo and the transfers vary between 3-6 hrs dependant on traffic and your driver, there is an airport at Koggola which is a small miltary one which does allow small air taxis, we found this out after but the flight from columbo to koggala would only take a max of 1 hr!!The wedding co ordinator Gayani I cannot thank enough, if you have any questions let me know, but The Fortress is a must!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A luxury 53 room boutique resort located on the Southern shores of Sri Lanka. The Fortress has been styled after Galle’s powerful ancient Dutch Fort, blending the country’s Dutch and Portuguese influences with Sri Lankan motifs and indigenous furnishings to echo the historic days of Old Ceylon. This has been artfully and sensitively fused with innovative architecture, high design features, state-of-the-art technology, sensual living spaces with naturally modern design, and incredible gastronomic experiences, to stunning effect. The Fortress will offer unprecedented levels of service, extraordinary innovation, attention to detail and a unique blend of Old Ceylon with Modern Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, HotelsClick, Agoda, Odigeo, Travelbag, Hotels.com, TravelUp and Holiday Gems so you can book your The Fortress reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fortress Hotel Koggala
- Fortress Hotel Galle
- Fortress Galle
- Fortress Sri Lanka
- The Fortress Sri Lanka/Koggala