“Thalassi, Crete”

Thalassi Hotel-Apts
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Sfakaki
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend have just returned from a two week half board trip to Thalassi.

We were both very impressed.

Upon arrival Eva was kind enough to upgrade us to a one bedroom instead of a double room.

The hospitality, warmth and helpfulness of both Eva and Demertzis over the course of the holiday was incredible and made us both feel at home.

Eva gave us a number of walks to go on, which were well worth while and allowed us to take in some of the breathtaking landscape the area around the hotel has to offer.

During our holiday, most people seemed to go off exploring, which left the pool really quiet which was relaxing. Or, the beach is equally as nice and quiet.. I particularly enjoyed walking the length of the beach and snorkelling at a cove on the far right of the beach.

The weather was really good with just a couple of days of patchy cloud.

But by far the best part of the holiday, alongside the warmth from Eva, was the food from the restaurant. All fresh, all local, all delicious. Starters that might be enough to fill you and incredible main dishes. I enjoyed it so much I wrote a desperate blog about it. Simply to die for.

This is a brilliant hotel with a renowned local restaurant in a good location with incredible hospitality and friendly guests.

I would recommend to anyone,

Steven and Anika

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Stevenwrobson

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just returned from Thalassi hotel a week ago . I too am puzzled by some of the negative comments about this hotel.
I booked this holiday on the Wednesday and flew on the Friday, we arrived late at night but were made very welcome by Eva an owner of the hotel , she was very attentive and offers of food and drink were given even though it was very late. We had a choice of room I opted for the 3rd floor we didn't bother us but there was no lift .I was on fully inclusive for this holiday. Eva was very helpful and knowledgeable when we asked about buses, walks, things to see and do and arranged taxis etc.The hotel is a greek hotel and breakfast is more continental than english , however the breakfast was far superior to any continental I have had before lots of choices. There was a lovely pool for adults which I used frequently, it was kept very clean also the sunbeds around it , there was also tables and chairs to sit at, there was also a smaller pool for children. the hotel had a bookshelf with a good choice of books which I used on my holiday.Maid service was excellent all areas were kept clean and tidy at all times. The restaurant/tavern was a short stroll away which is run by Dimitris. He is an excellent host and from the beginning of our holiday made us so welcome he called us by our first names and introduced us to other guests and family.He was not intrusive and wanted to please us all the time. The food was excellent nothing was too much trouble. We tried dishes we have never tried before if we hadn't liked them he would have ensured they were replaced with something else.The view from the restaurant was beautiful,the beach is just below the taverna with plenty of sunbeds.The area was quiet but there was more supermarkets/shops/tavernas opening as it was the start of the season.We wanted a relaxing holiday and we got it in abundance we didn't want a busy nightlife we wanted excellent food, drink and hosts and we got that in abundance . We enjoyed our stay immensely and would definitely return to stay at the Thalassi Hotel. If you want to come home with the knowledge that you have had one of the best holidays this is the hotel for you

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank brenda w
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just returned from thalassi hotel.

I don't understand the negative comments from other reviewers.

The hotel side is run by the ever attentive but without being obtrusive, and very knowledgeable, Eva.

The hotel is a Greek hotel that serves Greek breakfast, cheese, ham, eggs, tomatoes, cucumber, bread, a variety of cereals, toast, a variety of biscuits/cakes, tea, coffee, yoghurt, honey, jams, fruit. Enough for anyone.

The restaurant is a separate building, situated about a mere 200 metre stroll from the hotel, It is situated on the sandy beach, with amazing views out to sea and the sunsets are delightful.

Dimitris runs the taverna, and is a wonderful man, very knowledgeable, he offered plenty of choices for dinner, with an abundance of starters, and a sweet to finish.

If something was not to your taste, he would offer other alternatives without question.

I am teetotal and he never treated me any different from his other guests, I was never pushed to the back of the restaurant, we sat where we wanted to sit, no problems.

The area is quiet, with a few other tavernas and supermarkets nearby. A short bus ride gets you into busier Rethymnon, with its abundance of shops and bars and restaurants to enjoy.

This isn't benidorm or magaluf, with the taps flowing alcohol and never ending buffet food, this is a traditional Greek property that is perfect for a relaxing and comfortable stay.

I met some amazing people during my stay.

Enjoy, and stop the negative comments.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank richie0952
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I AM A BUSINESS OWNER MYSELF AND THIS IS FAMILY RUN AND THE GUYS WORK HARD.
Two small children under two me and my wife both in our mid 20s let me start by saying I booked this holiday 12 HOURS BEFORE WE WERE DUE TO FLY OUT.
a very nice welcome from Eva late at night she informed us that dinner was over but she rang Anthony (A VERY FRIENDLY GUY) to pick us up and show us to the restaurant as it in her words its a very dangerous crossing alarm bells are ringing as we were half board so our evening meal is in the restaurant we got down there and I must say its a lovely place nice and bright and clean and child friendly.
FOOD: This is why this place is terrible the food is non existence Breakfast is terrible nothing of any substance and everything tastes stale and of poor quality, my son (2 years old) ate the same thing for seven days and my food apart from 1 night was just not nice you have a choice from two things which are not written down but are told to you by word of mouth, the dessert what dessert.
I agree if you spent good money i.e. £100+ euros on drinks for a week Demitri will look after you that’s why we were given the best seats and our criticisms on the chin as a family there nice but as a business it needs a whole overall.
If you sit by the pool and drink beer perfect hotel for you if you want to see something forget about it.
They want you to remain on site so to speak, because there is a large Sikh community I managed to pay a local Sikh chap as a driver and tour guide to the displeasure of Eva.
You must pay for A.C and the wifi which is also charged for on a pay till you check out basis is rubbish in the room and can only be used outside predominantly

This is why it’s taken me so long to review this place because the guys i.e. owners are nice on the whole but the facilities don’t meet the right standard sorry.

Room Tip: pay extra and stay in rethymnon much better place and far superior hotels.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Reggie S
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The four of us ( two couples ) stayed at the Thalassi in September of last year. We were met by Eva in the early evening and once we had been to our rooms we were pointed in the direction of the restaurant. Just a short stroll 5 mins down the road , the restaurant, run by Dimitri, is situated right on the beach. This made for some brilliant sunsets throughout the fortnight. The staff could not have been more helpful and the food was excellent and very plentiful every evening.
I'm sure Dimitri was trying to fatten us up, but with meals such as stuffed vine leaves, proper moussaka, excellent fish meals and much more , we didnt take too much persuading.
Eva and Dimitri were fantastic hosts and the Hotel was kept spotlessly clean and tidy with the room being cleaned every day. The pool was a little on the small side but never seemed to get crowded and was brilliant for the quick dip to cool off from the hot sun. If you are looking for a quiet place to relax and soak up the sun with brilliant food , then this is it.
We took the time to visit Chania on a couple of occasions, and it was well worth the time . What a beatiful town and so picturesque. Did one of the bus tours around the outlying area. Again , well worth the money and such great scenery.
All in all , a fantastic holiday, made all the much better for the brilliant staff , not only at the hotel but also the waiting staff at the restaurant. We would highly recommend the Thalassi and would definitely love to visit again. Many thanks to Eva and Dimitri.
Sheila Dave Marian and Adi.

Room Tip: Try to choose a poolside room on the first floor. In the evening you can sit there with your ouzo an...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dave24Hampshire
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel in September for a week. What a great time Dimitri and Eva where fantastic hosts. This was the most relaxing holiday we have had, nothing was to much trouble for the staff. Thank you Dimitri and Eva hope to see you again soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Norma W
Reviewed 13 October 2013

recently stayed here sept 2013 had a great time hotel staff cannot do enough for you we were all inclusive and if I did not fancy the menu dimitri had something made that I liked. rooms were plenty large enough for our requirements and very clean ours overlooked the pool which was centred in the middle of the hotel next to the bar which was ideal. the hotel and restaurant/beach area are separate so a short walk is required 5 mins at worst but not a problem and the beach was clean and tidy and the sea was warm.anybody looking for a quite and relaxing time should check this hotel out because that is exactly what it is but then again the bus stop is right outside the restaurant which was very handy just to jump on and head for more lively places and they ran every half hour even in to the early hours. thankyou dimitri and eva plus all the staff for a great time and I would definitely go back again. paul and ty.

Room Tip: pool view rooms looked best to me
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ty b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sfakaki
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
#7 of 8 in Sfakaki
Rimondi Grand Resort & Spa
Rimondi Grand Resort & Spa
#28 of 175 in Rethymnon

Been to Thalassi Hotel-Apts? Share your experiences!