“Welcoming and well fed!!”

Thalassi Hotel-Apts
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Sfakaki
Bo'ness Scotand
“Welcoming and well fed!!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed at the Thalassi hotel in June this year,

We were welcomed late in the evening by Eva who ran the hotel and Dimitri who ran the Beach Bar,

The hotel is very well maintained, we had a lovely room overlooking the pool and were made very welcome every day,

Breakfast was with Eva each morning, she is a gem, very friendly, very knowledgeable, nothing was too much trouble, bus times, places of interest etc,

Lunch and dinner were served at the Beach Bar, this is much more than a Beach bar or Taverna with beautiful views over the sea and mountains, meals served each day using Dimitri's options from local produce and from his farm. We enjoyed the fact that the meals varied day to day, that we had salad every day and that the food was fresh and very tasty.

We spent most days out and about around the quiet villages around the hotel and this , for us, was ideal,. Other guests easily managed to travel around from the hotel using the local buses, there are lots of these to Rethymnon, and visiting other Cretan sites of interest,

Dimitri told us every day that he and Eva just wanted us to be happy on our holidays and we were in heaps!

One of the best and most relaxing holidays we have had in years and were very well looked after by Eva, Dimitri and all their brilliant staff.

Room Tip: The hotel has rooms overlooking the pool area, other rooms faced the back of the hostel overlooking...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SusanBo_nessScotand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

First time we as a family have gone on a half board holiday,myself partner and our 15 year old daughter Alice.
We chose Crete for the weather and we have been as a young couple 20 years ago.
The hotel was all we wanted very clean and Eva who ran the hotel was overly, her husband dimitri
Ran the restaurant and bar which over looked the sea fantastic senery as we had our meal of the sun setting.
The food was lovely and fresh and lots of choice ,a real great host,as well as entertaining.
We loved all about the holiday and are keen to go back later this year.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views Over the pool were realy nice
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Christophr I
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My wife and I wanted a week away from the hustle and bustle of busy lives. We picked this hotel for its small size and its location (quieter area but near a lovely beach). We arrived late at night and were met by Eva who made us feel very welcome. On meeting Dimitri at the Hotel I inquired about the England World Cup game that was due to start at 1 am Sunday morning. He was incredibly accommodating and said I could watch it on the large TV in the restaurant (after the game he even drove me the short distance back to the hotel!).
The hotel was very clean, the rooms were a nice size with no concerns regarding hot water and water pressure. The food at breakfast was varied and more than adequate. The restaurant food at lunch and dinner was excellent. All food was served fresh and we chose to leave it to Dimitri to decide what we were to eat each day. The food was varied and well presented. It was wonderful to come straight off the quiet beach and into the restaurant for lunch most days.
We were advised by Eva of local places of interest to visit and how best to get there.
Our overall experience at this hotel & restaurant was one of relaxation, great food & local wine, lovely sunsets, great conversation and much Greek whit. Eva and Dimitri and their staff work so hard to ensure all guests have a pleasurable, relaxing stay at their hotel. Considering this is a 3 star hotel we though the presentation of the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Guy_Sue2014
Glasgow
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend have just returned from a two week half board trip to Thalassi.

We were both very impressed.

Upon arrival Eva was kind enough to upgrade us to a one bedroom instead of a double room.

The hospitality, warmth and helpfulness of both Eva and Demertzis over the course of the holiday was incredible and made us both feel at home.

Eva gave us a number of walks to go on, which were well worth while and allowed us to take in some of the breathtaking landscape the area around the hotel has to offer.

During our holiday, most people seemed to go off exploring, which left the pool really quiet which was relaxing. Or, the beach is equally as nice and quiet.. I particularly enjoyed walking the length of the beach and snorkelling at a cove on the far right of the beach.

The weather was really good with just a couple of days of patchy cloud.

But by far the best part of the holiday, alongside the warmth from Eva, was the food from the restaurant. All fresh, all local, all delicious. Starters that might be enough to fill you and incredible main dishes. I enjoyed it so much I wrote a desperate blog about it. Simply to die for.

This is a brilliant hotel with a renowned local restaurant in a good location with incredible hospitality and friendly guests.

I would recommend to anyone,

Steven and Anika

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Stevenwrobson
Thirsk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just returned from Thalassi hotel a week ago . I too am puzzled by some of the negative comments about this hotel.
I booked this holiday on the Wednesday and flew on the Friday, we arrived late at night but were made very welcome by Eva an owner of the hotel , she was very attentive and offers of food and drink were given even though it was very late. We had a choice of room I opted for the 3rd floor we didn't bother us but there was no lift .I was on fully inclusive for this holiday. Eva was very helpful and knowledgeable when we asked about buses, walks, things to see and do and arranged taxis etc.The hotel is a greek hotel and breakfast is more continental than english , however the breakfast was far superior to any continental I have had before lots of choices. There was a lovely pool for adults which I used frequently, it was kept very clean also the sunbeds around it , there was also tables and chairs to sit at, there was also a smaller pool for children. the hotel had a bookshelf with a good choice of books which I used on my holiday.Maid service was excellent all areas were kept clean and tidy at all times. The restaurant/tavern was a short stroll away which is run by Dimitris. He is an excellent host and from the beginning of our holiday made us so welcome he called us by our first names and introduced us to other guests and family.He was not intrusive and wanted to please us all the time. The food was excellent nothing was too much trouble. We tried dishes we have never tried before if we hadn't liked them he would have ensured they were replaced with something else.The view from the restaurant was beautiful,the beach is just below the taverna with plenty of sunbeds.The area was quiet but there was more supermarkets/shops/tavernas opening as it was the start of the season.We wanted a relaxing holiday and we got it in abundance we didn't want a busy nightlife we wanted excellent food, drink and hosts and we got that in abundance . We enjoyed our stay immensely and would definitely return to stay at the Thalassi Hotel. If you want to come home with the knowledge that you have had one of the best holidays this is the hotel for you

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank brenda w
washington, tyne and wear
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just returned from thalassi hotel.

I don't understand the negative comments from other reviewers.

The hotel side is run by the ever attentive but without being obtrusive, and very knowledgeable, Eva.

The hotel is a Greek hotel that serves Greek breakfast, cheese, ham, eggs, tomatoes, cucumber, bread, a variety of cereals, toast, a variety of biscuits/cakes, tea, coffee, yoghurt, honey, jams, fruit. Enough for anyone.

The restaurant is a separate building, situated about a mere 200 metre stroll from the hotel, It is situated on the sandy beach, with amazing views out to sea and the sunsets are delightful.

Dimitris runs the taverna, and is a wonderful man, very knowledgeable, he offered plenty of choices for dinner, with an abundance of starters, and a sweet to finish.

If something was not to your taste, he would offer other alternatives without question.

I am teetotal and he never treated me any different from his other guests, I was never pushed to the back of the restaurant, we sat where we wanted to sit, no problems.

The area is quiet, with a few other tavernas and supermarkets nearby. A short bus ride gets you into busier Rethymnon, with its abundance of shops and bars and restaurants to enjoy.

This isn't benidorm or magaluf, with the taps flowing alcohol and never ending buffet food, this is a traditional Greek property that is perfect for a relaxing and comfortable stay.

I met some amazing people during my stay.

Enjoy, and stop the negative comments.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank richie0952
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I AM A BUSINESS OWNER MYSELF AND THIS IS FAMILY RUN AND THE GUYS WORK HARD.
Two small children under two me and my wife both in our mid 20s let me start by saying I booked this holiday 12 HOURS BEFORE WE WERE DUE TO FLY OUT.
a very nice welcome from Eva late at night she informed us that dinner was over but she rang Anthony (A VERY FRIENDLY GUY) to pick us up and show us to the restaurant as it in her words its a very dangerous crossing alarm bells are ringing as we were half board so our evening meal is in the restaurant we got down there and I must say its a lovely place nice and bright and clean and child friendly.
FOOD: This is why this place is terrible the food is non existence Breakfast is terrible nothing of any substance and everything tastes stale and of poor quality, my son (2 years old) ate the same thing for seven days and my food apart from 1 night was just not nice you have a choice from two things which are not written down but are told to you by word of mouth, the dessert what dessert.
I agree if you spent good money i.e. £100+ euros on drinks for a week Demitri will look after you that’s why we were given the best seats and our criticisms on the chin as a family there nice but as a business it needs a whole overall.
If you sit by the pool and drink beer perfect hotel for you if you want to see something forget about it.
They want you to remain on site so to speak, because there is a large Sikh community I managed to pay a local Sikh chap as a driver and tour guide to the displeasure of Eva.
You must pay for A.C and the wifi which is also charged for on a pay till you check out basis is rubbish in the room and can only be used outside predominantly

This is why it’s taken me so long to review this place because the guys i.e. owners are nice on the whole but the facilities don’t meet the right standard sorry.

Room Tip: pay extra and stay in rethymnon much better place and far superior hotels.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Reggie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sfakaki
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
Rimondi Grand Resort & Spa
Rimondi Grand Resort & Spa
#24 of 165 in Rethymnon
White Palace El Greco Luxury Resort

Been to Thalassi Hotel-Apts? Share your experiences!