“Great Stay!”

Alkionis Beach Hotel
york
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 27 February 2010

A very warm welcome on arrival.
Friendly and informative family.
Large clean,well equipped and spacious apartment with the option
of air conditioning. Breakfast & snacks available all day. Felt safe, as a lone traveller i had had a bad experience the year before(different hotel) and had viewed this hotel at that time with the intention of using it.

Good size and well maintained swimming pool.
Hotel adjacent to the sea which as lovely.

Numerous shops and tavernas nearby.If looking for a livlier nightlife there is a bus top outside the hotel for nearby Rethymnon.

The family were very helpful,ensured i had a comfortable stay and organised my airport taxis on my behalf.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
8 Thank issy2me

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Greek first
  • Serbian first
Amsterdam
Reviewed 24 February 2010

The last years we spended our holidays in Alkionis Beach Apartments. Sometimes twice a year. The reason is simple: it has all we need, to have a perfect, relaxed three weeks holiday. First of all, the family. Their Cretan hospitality and friendlyness make us feel at home. The apartments are very good an clean, well kept, for a reasonable price. The location is unique: within a few (literally) steps you're on the (quiet) beach! The view is really marvelous. Because of it's central position on the north coast, it's a perfect starting point to explore Crete. The surrounding area is quiet, and within a few kilometers you find nice villages. To put it briefly: it's the best you can get. We'll be back!!! Bart & Linda

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Linda_NL65
Krakow
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I would strongly recommend the Alkionis Apartments, because we've spent wonderful, unforgettable holidays there.
We took a C apt. for two weeks at the end of Sept/the beginning of Oct and my review is just about that apartment .There were four of us - from 5 till 70 years old and for everyone it was the great time. Our apartment was very roomy (80m), clean and well furnished with 2 sleeping rooms, large living room with kitchenette, 2 bathrooms, 2 balconies and a huge terrace, more spacious than an average apartment in other hotel, having an extraordinary view over the sea. My lazy wife was sunbathing on a terrace and taking pics of me and our kid swimming just underneath in the Mediterranean or a pool. The beach is directly at the hotel, so that was quite easy anyway.
The service was ok, the owner friendly and helpful. There are several taverns (ask me about my favorite), shops and bakeries in a short walk distance so self catering makes a great opportunity of choice (the kitchen in the apartment was properly equipped).
We rented a car at the airport, what i recommend, since Stavromenos is a great starting point for visiting as much of Crete, as you could be able to within 2 weeks, which we've done.
To recapitulate - it is not a place for clubbing, "nightlifeing", plushing or the other way of showing off, and thanks God it is not. It is a good choice for a family with children or seniors, renting a car, self catering, expecting a wonderful, quiet, sunny vacation for a good price.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
8 Thank rav72
Kent
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I was looking for a place away from the touristy north of Crete and found these apartments on the west side of the island were perfect for me. There was a laid back, Cretan atmosphere, similar to the way Crete used to be before the tourist invasion. The Alkionis apartments, all sea facing, were beautiful; backed by the spectacular White Mountains, a few steps from a wonderful sandy beach, and contained everything I wanted from a holiday, and more. Attractive, comfortable, thoughtfully equipped, clean and roomy; in fact I wouldn't mind living there. Beds comfortable, hair dryer supplied, regularly cleaned.
I loved a glass of wine on the balcony, watching the sunset. And eating lunch at a cliff top table, looking across the bay, was heaven. The owners are friendly and helpful, and speak English. Much of the salads and veg are grown in their own garden. There is an authentic Cretan taverna nearby, and just along the road another taverna, the Andriana, has wonderful food, good service and atmosphere. There were a couple of supermarkets about 5 mins walk away, that sold everything we needed, plus souvenir shops, car hire etc. Look out for a Greek night at one of the tavernas; such fun, and some of the best Greek dancing I've seen.

Although the apartments were peaceful, I really flopped, wonderful for de-stressing, I also like to see places of interest so was pleased to find a regular bus service runs from just outside the apartment to a couple of small lively towns about 15 minutes away. The lovely old city of Rethymnon, with its castle and fascinating winding streets, is half an hour on the bus. I love it there. You can take boat trips from the harbour, and eating around the harbour is divine. There are mountain villages to explore, with fascinating gorges and scenery, and the monasteries are a spiritual experience.
But really, what I loved was just relaxing at my lovely apartment and enjoying the sea, although there is a pool, too.. The Alkionis is suitable for families, couples, elderly, honeymooners. Not for clubbers, though - thank goodness. I was so happy there and can't wait to return.
We go either in May, June or early September, when the weather is just right.
The owner will arrange transport to and from the airport, and car hire if you want it; taxis are cheaper there than in England. It cost us about £5 to get into town..

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank barbara_stewart2
Kristiansand
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel in July 2009.
On our arrival we got welcomed by the owner, a very friendly guy, who then escurted us to our room, the room was equiped with Air-condition which is necessary in this temperature.
The view from our room was breath taking, me and my wife oftenly sat on the balcony with a glass of wine watching the sun go down and the beautifull colours of the sky.
To get in to town its very easy, a small walk up the road you get to the bus stop that drives in to Rethymnon.
On our departure, the owners had arranged a taxi that would drive us to the airport.
I Strongly recommend this place if you want to experience the traditions of crete.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank Naglestad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sfakaki
Thalassi Hotel-Apts
#3 of 8 in Skaleta
Radamanthys Apartments
Radamanthys Apartments
#2 of 8 in Sfakaki

Been to Alkionis Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!